C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

2017 Plans for the Blue Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:46 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default 2017 Plans for the Blue Vette

The plan is to run the heck out of this sucker!! With moving, work etc...I just haven't had time to play with this thing over the last few years like I'd prefer. So trying to make up for things!

As may you recall...back n November I took it to the Half-Mile race at the Sulfur Springs TX runway. Had a great time and didn't hurt anything...including me! Managed a few 176-177 MPH runs and tested the brakes real well on the short stopping area.

So now I've signed up for the "Quick 30" race in February. http://texasspeedsyndicate.com/q30-general-information/

It's a track rental with only 30 or so cars at the Baytown 1/4 mile track. Hoping to nail an 8 sec time slip if I can figure out how to launch the beast. I think we've got plenty of power even without leaning on it hard...just gotta put it to the track. It will be another fun event full of new Lambos, Vipers, Vette's etc...so I will stick out like a sore thumb!!

THEN....I'm planning to run the TX Mile at the end of March! I want to earn a 200 MPH title.

To put all of this together I've got some work to do. I've got an appt. with my rollbar guy in Houston to modify my bar so I can install my buddy's hardtop. The 'ole softop might stand a few 1/4 mile runs but as out of shape as it was at 177 MPH...don't think it will look too good at 200 MPH.
•Also planning to add a parachute mount behind the license plate to help the slow down issue.
•We're trying to coordinate all of this around his big projects and now I've thrown in this 1/4 mile race to make it a little trickier.
•Gotta install a fire extinguisher inside so I can reach it if needed.
•Need to get some racing pants, shoes etc.
•Need to order the parachute and cable/handle
•Got the approval to run NASCAR tires. I found a supplier for them at a good price...so ordering those.
•Working on some new wheels for the NASCAR tires...but good news is I can stay 15".
•My friends at The School of Automotive Machinists (SAM) have offered me some chassis dyno time to do some more tuning if I want to.

I'm sure there is a lot more.....but you get the idea. I have to put it in "drag mode"...which really only amounts to installing the slicks and skinnies... adjusting the rebound on the front shocks and installing the hood latch extensions to let air out from under hood. Not sure where to start with clutch adjustment. I had a dead on the money Naturally Aspirated setting...but with the turbos it's going to be a new game. Might take a few runs to figure it out.

So if everything in the drivetrain survives the 1/4 mile fun...then I've got a little time to make sure rollbar is done and then convert to TX Mile format.

Install NASCAR tires. readjust front shocks...maybe lower it some in the front.....not really much more to do.

What I'd LIKE to do is swap some gears around in the G-Force 5 speed to convert it to a .90 O/D. Looks like it will take 3 new gears....so need to think that through. Considering it will take 7400 RPM or so to get to 200 MPH....and I expect it will want to go past that.....I'd like to knock 500 or more RPM out of it to make things easier. Still working on that plan. If not....I'll just spin the bejeezus out of it like always!

So lots to do in a little bit of time.....but if this thing will knock off an 8 sec 1/4 mile time, run 200 MPH...and drive to the Sonic afterwards....I'll be a happy camper!

If I missed anything let me know...but stay tuned...we're going to have some fun!!

JIM
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
Loren Smith (01-16-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 02:51 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

All of this sounds AWESOME!

I'll see you at the Quick 30. It will be great to see you embarassing 1200+rwhp "race" cars out there...

You going to run it on 275 PROs or what? Gonna be hell getting that thing to hook. I will say the track prep at the Quick 30 will be top notch, especially by after lunch. Historically, we have killer air in Feb.

PS..

I may be up in your neck of the woods in the next few weeks taking my trailing arms up to Mike, I'll hit you up maybe we can meet for lunch/beer.

Last edited by ajrothm; 01-14-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:07 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks Alan.

I'll be running it on slicks. Need all the help I can get! Clutch setup will be the trickiest part...starting from scratch almost with this setup.

Yep..air should be great.

There's some heavy hitters in race mode that take this stuff real serious. I just like to spank my street car.

Let me know when you're in the area.

See ya,

JIM
Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Ok...got new seat belts ordered (old ones out of date), new pants, shoes, socks, bacalava, fire retardant underwear ( I know TMI!!), parachute, fire extinguisher mount, etc. Also have the tires on the way.

Nothing to make it faster.....just better for me if something doesn't go right!

Moving ahead!!

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Plans for the Blue Vette

Quick Reply: 2017 Plans for the Blue Vette