C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Florida NCRS Regional

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 10:10 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
I was really happy with the show this year. It was warm and sunny.

The almost total lack of C1 Corvettes was interesting. I'm not sure what's going on there.

I think Mecum draws a very different crowd from an NCRS crowd.

As far as vendors most of us are buying less and less at shows. The big guys are all using Amazon.com and the smaller ones use eBay. Hauling a trailer full of parts around the country is not a good way to spend you weekend.

We got 4 people from the forum at out meet-up.

Richard Newton
How many judged cars Richard? I heard that the new class of ''modified'' cars was going to have an area of welcome for people to come and enjoy. The subject will be confirmed or not after San Antonio Convention in July.

The SOLID AXEL CORVETTE CLUB , [SACC] is having great success just driving the cars and having ''FUN'' like the old days. Are these changing times a lasting trend or do you think the move to Lakeland is the problem?

The FRISCO, Texas Regional was well attended last October. It was in a large hotel complex with cars inside a carpeted area away from the elements.

Last edited by jimgessner; 01-15-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:28 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yeah - the whole event was definitely muted from prior years at Old Town. I don't know if this is a trajectory that can be fixed by relocation or that the event is just not that appealing at this point.

I was surprised too at the paucity of C1s but (and I HATE saying this) I think those may have reached their zenith a few years back; one reason I sold mine....time will tell... Many (most) that know and love these early cars (and I'm one of them) are looking at their seventh decade of orbiting the sun straight in the face and that can be a bit sobering when it comes to material things.

I'm just sayin'

Maybe somebody has a feel for Mecum C1 sales; SWCs were sure grabbed up...

God bless Tyler, Bill Heron, Rich Mozzetta, Tom Blount, Whit McFarland, Ed Augustine, Monty and the rest of the army for making the event happen, and the new Concourse class is interesting, but things need a 'punch in the arm' that even the nice weather couldn't accomplish...
God bless Tyler, Bill Heron, Rich Mozzetta, Tom Blount, Whit McFarland, Ed Augustine, Monty and the rest of the army for making the event happen, and the new Concourse class is interesting, but things need a 'punch in the arm' that even the nice weather couldn't accomplish...

In the old days it was ''free beer''. What excites old men today? SCOOTER RACES? They shut it down at the Veterans Hospital 32nd annual in Loma Linda, California in 2014. We were having too much fun racing around
Old 01-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

I just noticed that there is only one thread over in the C3 section on this topic, with only 4 replies.......

Is this a clear indication that the "old" NCRS crowd resides here?
Old 01-15-2017, 10:57 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Over the past year I've written numerous articles about judging various marques. I've also been a judge on a couple of occasions. If you haven't watched the judges go over a car you really need to see the process in action.

I think NCRS judging is the most comprehensive judging of any marque. Two things stand out.

First we have an incredible data base.

Secondly we have an incredible training program.

When a car reaches Top Flight, or Duntov, it means something.

Richard Newton
Porsche Concours College
I have been involved with car clubs and judging of different makes models and types for 45yrs. Both having my cars judged or as a judge. The NCRS judging like it or not is easily the best that I have ever been involved with.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:00 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Most people just do not like the location! The property may be ideal for the show and the swap meet, but most everyone I spoke to said they hate where it's at. The only ones who really seem to like it are the people having cars judged, and the judges, because the judging's done inside.

After having been a vendor at the Winter Regional forever, Cyprus, Disney, the Hyatt, Old Town and Lakeland, this will probably be my last trip.

The public does not like the location, so they do not show up.

The Chapter does not advertise the show, so unless you belong to the NCRS, or happen to see it mentioned here on the Forum, there's no way to know that the show even exists. No one working at our hotel, knew there was a Corvette show in town. We met a couple at dinner, who own a Corvette and live 5 miles from Sun N Fun, and had no idea there was a Corvette show in town. I also had at least 3 different people, who came by my space, mention the only reason they knew about the show was because the local street rod club, had been telling people about it!

The final problem I see, is that the show was to early this year. People haven't gotten over the holidays yet. A lot of people were just off of work a week ago, and to turn around this quick to take time off, isn't easy. Also, the "snowbirds" are just now starting to roll into Florida.

One of the Chapter's members told me that moving the show up so early had nothing to do with the fact that Mecum had moved their dates too. He said it was because it's too cold in Florida, at the end of January! It may have been cold the last couple years at the show, but it has nothing to do with the weeks the show was held. It's the winter and it can get cold. I've been to Winter Regional's when it was cold, and when it was hot, and I can't say it makes much difference on the date. If I recall correctly, the year it was 24 degrees at the Hyatt, was around the same weekend as this year.

I was told the show will start next year on January 10th, and will be back at Lakeland. If this is true, I probably won't be back.

Tell me about it. I towed a trailer 1100 miles each way, and didn't sell enough there to pay for my spaces and gas bill!

Did anyone else notice how many beggars were around Lakeland? We went to dinner at Harry's downtown, and were asked for money by 2 different people, walking a block from the car to the restaurant. The next night 6 of us were standing inside the vestibule of an Italian restaurant, waiting for our table, when someone came in the door, and started asking all of us for a handout! It also seemed like there were people standing at all of the interstate exits, looking for handouts. I can walk around center city Philadelphia, and not get hassled for cash as much as I was in Lakeland. What the heck gives?
Were they Cubans?
Old 01-15-2017, 11:07 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Yeah - the whole event was definitely muted from prior years at Old Town. I don't know if this is a trajectory that can be fixed by relocation or that the event is just not that appealing at this point.

I was surprised too at the paucity of C1s but (and I HATE saying this) I think those may have reached their zenith a few years back; one reason I sold mine....time will tell... Many (most) that know and love these early cars (and I'm one of them) are looking at their seventh decade of orbiting the sun straight in the face and that can be a bit sobering when it comes to material things.

I'm just sayin'

Maybe somebody has a feel for Mecum C1 sales; SWCs were sure grabbed up...

I can't thank those who put this show on enough. Having been involved in large events in the past I know the hard work that goes into them.
What's the answer to why there are less vendors and less entrants some ideas have been mentioned in this thread. Dates,locations,etc. One thing that I have noticed though. Every time a show gets moved and dates get changed the show gets hurt. Just look at the Bloomington moves. I am just glad there are hard working people mentioned above willing to do what is needed for those of us who did make the trip an enjoyable event.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Most people just do not like the location! The property may be ideal for the show and the swap meet, but most everyone I spoke to said they hate where it's at. The only ones who really seem to like it are the people having cars judged, and the judges, because the judging's done inside.
That seems to be the precise consensus of people I know familiar with the show including myself. But I don't do judging. Just swap meet and shooting the breeze. No interest in the auction either.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

We've been attending the Fl Regional for years and used to spend 3 days there. I don't have my cars judged, so it's more about the vendors, old friends and great cars. We only go for 1 day and do the Mecum 1 day now. Since leaving Old Town the event gets smaller every year. We stopped by Old Town Wednesday. The old swap area is a large paved parking area that could serve as a vendor area now. Would returning improve the event, possibly. There are alot of factors contributing to the decline, as discussed.
Hats off to Tyler and everyone that works so hard to put this event on. Now that 3 years has passed in Lakeland they will have a decision to make. I would love to see it grow wherever they decide to have it. Car events in January are still very appealing.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:55 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1

Mecum was packed and keeps getting bigger each year. But I agree with Richard that Mecum is a different crowd and probably has no effect on NCRS meet.
I will politely disagree as I did on another post on this subject. I love Mecum and yet I would have really liked to go to this event. The date conflict is a problem especially on the prime Friday/Sat of the Mecum show. I have never been to an NCRS event (being new to Corvette ownership) but would really like to since I would like to learn a lot more about these cars and what to look for. I have one more classic I would like to own and that is a 63 SWC, but have a lot to learn about them first, and that is by watching and listening to you guys looking over these things. I live in SW Orlando but still couldn't make it down since I really do enjoy Mecum and was more interested as was my wife in that. I bought my 60 at Mecum last year and my 60 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz there 4 years ago now. If it was not at the exact same time or in my case of course easier if in Orlando area I could have dropped by and done both. Heck I could see myself learning to be a judge since I really enjoy detail. More accessible and more presence/marketing the event somehow. I learned about it on here otherwise I would have no idea being new to the corvette world.

The vendor aspect is difficult with the internet...you can find most anything on line though I do like to see things in person first.

All that said I know it is a ton of hard work to put together events and I certainly will do my best next year. Good news is I met some nice gentlemen who clearly knew what they were looking for at Mecum looking over a so so unrestored 63 and had been doing both shows...got on of their cards to email him about what i'm after in a 63 and talk more about what to look for I hope.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:05 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Folks ought to keep in mind that NCRS meets are not car "shows" per se. They are strictly club events, venues for Corvette owners to have their cars judged against an objective standard. As such, I would not expect much interest from the general public as compared to an event like, say, the Mecum auction.

Unless you have a car entered for Flight judging, or are a judge, or a friend of someone involved, there is hardly any compelling reason to attend - especially if the location is off the beaten path and without any interesting tourist attractions or recreational opportunities to speak of.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW Vette:
Frankie the Fink (01-15-2017), rfn026 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 01:12 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Folks ought to keep in mind that NCRS meets are not car "shows" per se. They are strictly club events, venues for Corvette owners to have their cars judged against an objective standard. As such, I would not expect much interest from the general public as compared to an event like, say, the Mecum auction.

Unless you have a car entered for Flight judging, or are a judge, or a friend of someone involved, there is hardly any compelling reason to attend - especially if the location is off the beaten path and without any interesting tourist attractions or recreational opportunities to speak of.
I think you are saying what others have said, just a little differently and the shrinking size of the vendors and crowds reflect that.
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 01:36 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SW Vette

That is very true of most Regionals. Historically the Florida Regional was the largest for several other appealing reasons in addition to the judging. It had a swap meet that was a mini Carlisle, the lure of Florida weather in January, host hotels near the event with other things of interest nearby, like Mecum or Old Town.
There are many in the NCRS that chose to come to this Regional over the years even if they didn't bring a car to be judged.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:50 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by capevettes
That is very true of most Regionals. Historically the Florida Regional was the largest for several other appealing reasons in addition to the judging. It had a swap meet that was a mini Carlisle, the lure of Florida weather in January, host hotels near the event with other things of interest nearby, like Mecum or Old Town.
There are many in the NCRS that chose to come to this Regional over the years even if they didn't bring a car to be judged.
As a Left Coaster it's never been on my agenda, but from what's been said here, it does sound as though the change of location has made this event less attractive to those who used to have it circled on their calendar. Unfortunate for the organizers, who still work as hard as ever to make it happen.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:50 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Over the past year I've written numerous articles about judging various marques. I've also been a judge on a couple of occasions. If you haven't watched the judges go over a car you really need to see the process in action.

I think NCRS judging is the most comprehensive judging of any marque. Two things stand out.

First we have an incredible data base.

Secondly we have an incredible training program.

When a car reaches Top Flight, or Duntov, it means something.

Richard Newton
Porsche Concours College
quality of judging depends on the event and the knowledge of the judges at each event. the research done on survivor cars has enabled the ncrs to do a tremendous job on judging. But, there are judges at Bloomington that have tremendous knowledge in their given years and at times I have seen better judging at Bloomington. I am not a big fan of Duntov cars. in the quest for that award I have seen large amount of changes in certain cars to achieve that award. that includes engine changes with different engine pad numbers.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:39 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

I agree on all counts. I could walk the vendor area in about 40 minutes looking for some specific parts. I think there were fewer this year for sure... Either people haven't gotten over the cold weather the last two years, they're getting too old to attend, they're still pizzed about the Lakeland move or Mecum sucked all the oxygen out of the air.

Its changing without a doubt. Unless I missed the there was no Glassworks demonstrating their hardtop lift, no 4 post lift vendor that was always at Old Town, no @sshole's Garage tent, Mike Terry - usually a fixture with a few cars to sell is missing, the car corral didn't even pique my interest....not much there.

Went yesterday and picked up some nice 63 stuff and saw no need to return today...
Frank, how did your car do. If my memory is correct, last year you lost some points on your air conditioner. Did they do the same thing this year.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Frank, how did your car do. If my memory is correct, last year you lost some points on your air conditioner. Did they do the same thing this year.
I don't know if the team leadership changed this year for 63s so I didn't enter the car. When it does, I might...

Nuff 'sed...
Old 01-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm going to start off by saying that Tyler Townsley does a tremendous job considering he does it all for free and there are thousands of people to try and please. I say that because I really am on his side, regardless of how I was introduced as his biggest critic.

(That was because two years ago, Corvettes drove down a muddy road when a paved one was about 75 feet away going to the same place. That is really the fault of those directing traffic, not Tyler. Anyone with a lick of sense would know that was a bad idea.)

There are a lot of issues. But to win the Corvette people, you have to win the wives and girlfriends. Without them, the guys don't go. This isn't the old days where a dozen car buddies took off for the weekend, slept 4 or 6 or 8 guys in a room, went nuts all weekend, and then went home Sunday night. We aren't 25 years old anymore.

This I know from as far back as Bloomington 1977. While the wives and girlfriends of many in our club loved the Corvettes, they didn't love walking around looking at old parts for 8 hours a day in 90° heat or sloppy mud for two or three days. They split about noon, right across the road to the mall and the restaurants that were all within a few blocks of the Bloomington show. Or went back to the hotels just a few blocks away to hit the pool.

That was the winning combination of Old Town. Tired of Corvettes, well, there were shops right there, restaurants in all directions, tourist things to do, and Disney just a few miles away to keep the kids happy. and many had hotels in walking distance.

But Old Town is NEVER going to work for this again.

I have gone since Cypress Gardens in '87. I missed '86 as I found out about it after. Like GB said, advertising of the show is and always has been poor. Advertising cost money, money that I doubt they have to spend, but without it, no one comes. My buddy and I went to Chili's after the show two years ago. We were the only Corvette in the lot. No one there knew that a Corvette show had gone on for 3 days.

Cypress had three issues. The first was the $28 fee to go into Cypress Gardens to see the judged cars. As such, most stayed outside at the swap. Second things began developing and there were fewer places for people to park to attend. And Finally, they closed. Cypress gardens is gone, although a beautiful location.

Disney as far too expensive to rent, from what I understand.

The Hilton was great in many respects, with indoor areas for judging, and paved vending area, although that could get hot, but never muddy. Still, did you ever get there after 9 am? I hope you have your hiking shoes on. There was far too little parking for people coming to look and buy. I knew guys who bought spaces just so they could park in the swap and not have to worry about cars a mile down the road in a ditch.

Old Town in the beginning was great. That is what everyone remembers. The auction was there. There was a lot of parking for visitors. There was plenty for the non-Vette person to do. It was close to food and hotels. It was as good as Bloomington in the '70s and early '80s.

But for all those looking at Old Town today, there is NO PARKING for visitors today. Three years ago, I took my family for the first time in a long time, and we parked at Red Lobster. The Corvette parking was wonderful, but if you brought anything else, you fought for 15 to 20 feet of grass on the edge of the road where you were in danger of being sideswiped by anyone trying to get through. Many of the shops were closed or filled with junk.

I like the Lakeland site. For a show and swap meet, it is great. It is easy access. It is wide open there. Terrific parking for everyone.

But there are absolutely facilities for anyone other than those showing, selling, or buying. Hotels are all too far away. Restaurants are far away. heck of a ride to an airport, even though we are at one. Too far from the auction.

As much as some dislike auctions, the auctions brings in a huge crowd. At the Hilton and Old Town, those waiting for certain cars to come up would wander through the swap area, the Corvette For Sale area, and the show cars. This boosted sales for those selling and made it profitable for them to come. In 2006, I took my 1979 there to sell. I didn't know the auction had moved, and probably 95% of the car buyers went with it. I didn't get a nibble. I would never pay all the expense to take a car to the Winter Regional to sell again. All the buyers at at the auction. No one with money is at the swap meet.

All of this said, how do we help Tyler fix it? Because we can't expect him to do it alone. and it needs to be fixed. The Winter Regional has too much history and is one of the few large shows around. We have to keep it going. but we have to make it so that it is profitable for those who come to sell or they won't come. And without them, you won't have a show.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 01-15-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Florida NCRS Regional

Old 01-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1

Mecum was packed and keeps getting bigger each year. But I agree with Richard that Mecum is a different crowd and probably has no effect on NCRS meet.
The loss of the auction has a severe impact on the Winter Regional.

1. It brought a huge number of people with money.
2. It isn't Walmart, you don't buy immediately, but have to wait for the car you want to come up. As such, you wander around the show and look for deals there.
3. Auction buyers pumped money into the swap meet vendors and made the Corvette Sales area worthwhile. Many cars sold because auction people were there.

Why does Bloomington Gold exist? Because the auction is the centerpiece for the last 25 years.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:24 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

The solution, and the formula for success is real easy to figure out...

You NEED the following:

1. A decent place to stage and crawl around cars for judging
2. A reasonably large area for a swap meet close to the judging area
3. A selection of hotels (with varying prices) that are close to the venue
4. Interesting things for wives/family to do that are also reasonably close

Old Town met all of those requirements (some better than others) for while.

I am really hard pressed to believe that in one of the largest tourist capitals of the world, we cannot locate another facility / venue that works at least as well as Old Town did.

Remember, we have ALL of central Florida (think I-4 corridor) from Daytona to Tampa to chose from.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jv04
The solution, and the formula for success is real easy to figure out...

You NEED the following:

1. A decent place to stage and crawl around cars for judging
2. A reasonably large area for a swap meet close to the judging area
3. A selection of hotels (with varying prices) that are close to the venue
4. Interesting things for wives/family to do that are also reasonably close

Old Town met all of those requirements (some better than others) for while.

I am really hard pressed to believe that in one of the largest tourist capitals of the world, we cannot locate another facility / venue that works at least as well as Old Town did.

Remember, we have ALL of central Florida (think I-4 corridor) from Daytona to Tampa to chose from.
if you moved it back to Old Town tomorrow there would still be those who would b!tch.
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (01-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Florida NCRS Regional