C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Florida NCRS Regional

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:28 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Old 01-15-2017, 07:41 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Why does Bloomington Gold exist? Because the auction is the centerpiece for the last 25 years.[/QUOTE]

you must not have been to Bloomington Gold lately
Old 01-15-2017, 07:50 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jimgessner
How many judged cars Richard? I heard that the new class of ''modified'' cars was going to have an area of welcome for people to come and enjoy. The subject will be confirmed or not after San Antonio Convention in July.

The SOLID AXEL CORVETTE CLUB , [SACC] is having great success just driving the cars and having ''FUN'' like the old days. Are these changing times a lasting trend or do you think the move to Lakeland is the problem?

The FRISCO, Texas Regional was well attended last October. It was in a large hotel complex with cars inside a carpeted area away from the elements.
personally, the lack of affordable close lodging is keeping me away...
Bill
Old 01-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Folks ought to keep in mind that NCRS meets are not car "shows" per se. They are strictly club events, venues for Corvette owners to have their cars judged against an objective standard. As such, I would not expect much interest from the general public as compared to an event like, say, the Mecum auction.

Unless you have a car entered for Flight judging, or are a judge, or a friend of someone involved, there is hardly any compelling reason to attend - especially if the location is off the beaten path and without any interesting tourist attractions or recreational opportunities to speak of.
But the Winter Regional bucked the system by having a swap meet, a special Corvette parking area, and more that was open to the general public and attracted them for decades.

This is the history of the Winter Regional, it is a show in all respects, not simply a judging meet. There is/was a judging meet in Mount Dora every fall. A dozen or so cars would show up, and while they kind of overwhelmed Mount Dora, the reality they used to take up a block or two of space.

If Mount Dora wasn't a touristy type of town, no one would even know they were there. This is the typical NCRS judging meet.

But the Winter Regional has always been a much broader show and had a broader appeal.

Originally Posted by scopeli
Why does Bloomington Gold exist? Because the auction is the centerpiece for the last 25 years.
you must not have been to Bloomington Gold lately
Not since 2008. I know since then there has been a couple of changes of venue and I think I read here there were financial issues. But it still remains, it would have died a long time ago if the auction hadn't been there.

You might buy a part on eBay sight unseen, but people still prefer to look at a car before handing over big bucks. And the auction lets them do it and then have the car almost immediately, unless they are shipping it home.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 01-15-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:03 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
personally, the lack of affordable close lodging is keeping me away...
Bill

the Hampton Inn in Lakeland is about 15 minutes drive. It is about 10 minutes past the host hotel, Hilton Garden Inn, and co-located within a modern outdoor shopping mall with movie theater and multiple excellent restaurants. Many Regional meet attendees stayed there and spoke very highly of it.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:05 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65hihp
the Hampton Inn in Lakeland is about 15 minutes drive. It is about 10 minutes past the host hotel, Hilton Garden Inn, and co-located within a modern outdoor shopping mall with movie theater and multiple excellent restaurants. Many Regional meet attendees stayed there and spoke very highly of it.
agreed, but it was not simply a walk away like the Sera Lago...; and I suspect the Hampton and Hilton were expensive.

Bill
Old 01-15-2017, 08:06 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
if you moved it back to Old Town tomorrow there would still be those who would b!tch.
I thought Old Town got sold / closed / something.

Wasn't that what prompted the move to Lakeland?

What about:

River Ranch Resort
Central Florida Fairgrounds

Been a while since I have been to either location, but they seem to have the facilities to handle something like this.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,696 Posts

agreed, but it was not simply a walk away like the Sera Lago...; and I suspect the Hampton and Hilton were expensive.

Bill
Right,
it's not a walk over. And while Sera Lago was about $40 per night, you would not ask a lady to spend the night there. HGI and Hampton are around $130 per night, bed bugs not included. Collectible Corvettes is not a cheap hobby.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Right,
it's not a walk over. And while Sera Lago was about $40 per night, you would not ask a lady to spend the night there. HGI and Hampton are around $130 per night, bed bugs not included. Collectible Corvettes is not a cheap hobby.
I must have been lucky as my rooms were always nice and bug free...

Bill
Old 01-15-2017, 08:35 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,576 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Bill
My wife and I drove up from Pine Island and stayed at Seralago this past week for old times sake and had a great time. Walked around Old Town at night, had pizza at Flippers. There was a car show going on with live music. We attended Mecum and then drove over to the Regional the next day. We've had enough fancy, overpriced hotels in Mass to last us a lifetime. Seralago was fine.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I stayed at the Sera Lago once and vowed never again.
The following users liked this post:
ohiovet (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:50 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Bill
Me too.

There was also a bunch of vacant condos behind the show, next street over at reasonable prices, not to mention a very nice RV park another 100 yards back the street. I stayed there a few years.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:07 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

ok, I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Bartow. 22 minutes away and really nice. Actually just over one year old.

Total cost was $140 a night. That's about as good as it gets in Florida during season.

If you're having problems with that number I know we're never going to have a show here in Naples. We start about $250 and go to over $900 a night at the Ritz Carlton.

Rooms at Amelia are around $800 a night with a 3 night minimum. The good part is you can walk right from the show field to your room. The bad part is it's over $800 a night. And you have to book your room a year in advance.

I think we are a bunch of grumpy old men.

Richard Newton
Old 01-16-2017, 12:33 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

This was the second year I stayed at The Imperial Swan in Lakeland.
Reasonable price, clean and quiet and 8 minutes from the show, many restaurants and things to see. Downtown Lakeland is very nice.
I will go back if the meet is at Fun N Sun.
I stayed at Sera Lago a few times and would never go back.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:09 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I stayed at Sera Lago every time I went to the regional at Old Town.

Yes, it is a bit old and threadbare, but I never has issues with bedbugs, or any other creatures. I slept just fine every evening I was there

Seriously, how much time do you spend in the hotel room during the event. I left the room first thing in the AM, and did not return until well into the evening.

And there were plenty of more plush hotels in reasonable driving distance. And to top it off, the condos immediately behind Old Town offered yet another option.

Collectible Corvettes doesn't mean you have to stay at the Ritz Carlton, but you can if you wish.

What was the problem(s) with Old Town that pushed the FL Chapter to make the move?
Old 01-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
I stayed at Sera Lago every time I went to the regional at Old Town.

Yes, it is a bit old and threadbare, but I never has issues with bedbugs, or any other creatures. I slept just fine every evening I was there

Seriously, how much time do you spend in the hotel room during the event. I left the room first thing in the AM, and did not return until well into the evening.

And there were plenty of more plush hotels in reasonable driving distance. And to top it off, the condos immediately behind Old Town offered yet another option.

Collectible Corvettes doesn't mean you have to stay at the Ritz Carlton, but you can if you wish.

What was the problem(s) with Old Town that pushed the FL Chapter to make the move?
IIRC, and I'll be "corrected" if I'm wrong..

Old Town went bankrupt... suddenly.... several months prior to the scheduled NCRS Regional 3 years ago.

That left the Chapter scrambling for a new venue.

Thus...., they landed at Sun N Fun.

I heard, and this is just rumor, that they could have gone to the Osceola Heritage Park, the site of the Mecum Auction, but did not want to do so as they didn't want the "appearance" of endorsing the Mecum Auction.

I also heard that after the bankruptcy at Old Town, a group of Canadian investors bought it, with the idea of returning it to its' glory days.

I have not been to Old Town for 3 years. I'm told that changes have been made. I'm told that the large grassy area where the swap meet used to be held is now a paved parking lot. I'm also told that the honky-tonk businesses within Old Town are being renovated, and that many of the kiddie carnival rides have been removed.

The problem with Old Town was that the judged cars were outdoors. That problem cannot be rectified there.

We stayed at the Sera Lago many times and never had a problem there.

The problem that I see at Sun N Fun is that it's isolated and "decentralized". At Old Town, everyone was sorta "packed into" a small area with lots of restaurants and hotels. Daily, if we'd go to a breakfast place, we'd walk in and find a table full of old friends from Michigan... or California. It was easy to "meet and greet" folks.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Old Town had financial/ownership issues that cause the venue for NCRS to be moved...it wasn't some capricious decision by the event organizers. So all the pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth over that is misplaced - its done, over and had to be. All of the other stuff Chuck says did make it nice. Mecum nearby and the Sunday Wonderful World of Corvettes show sort of all played nicely together. The Corvette Only parking adjacent to the judging field basically gave a two-for-one bang to see 200-300 nice cars at once without undue walking.

Folks thinking to 'recapture' that ambience are prob going to be disappointed even if it could happen. The vendor presentation is drifting down no matter where the event is held due to exogenous factors (internet, ebay, web sales). I think the Mecum circus has cut down on the car corral selection too.

The cross-pollination with the side-by-side Fun Spot has brought a rougher crowd on board as far as spectators go. Kids allowed to run amok and clueless parents and 'everything is a theme park' attitude. I don't think current owners give two damns about classic cars...you see it in small annoyances...like the concrete "railroad tie" wheel stops across the end of each parking space now. Every kid in the world tightrope walks across the damn things and loses their balance and uses the parked car to fall on. The dumpsters are allowed to fill up to the point the smell is nauseating.

Then, the theft, - remember that...security having to run thieves off from Al Knoch's trailer, missing gas caps, a whole fuel injection system gone missing ? Haven't heard much of that in the last 3 years. I think Old Town made such vile acts somewhat easier.

I don't know what an alternative to Lakeland might be but the decision should be interesting.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-16-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Florida NCRS Regional

Old 01-16-2017, 07:23 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

How about somewhere on Disney property and charging admission to cover the cost? Maybe even partnering with Disney like they do with the marathons, food festivals, and art festival that's going on right now

Steve
Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

THAT is a whole different ballgame - having attended several Disney Car Masters shows and seen the negotiation it required and the limited support for the events. I'd say that's a non-starter. Might be worth a look -- but the Disney of even 15 years ago is not the Disney of today...
Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
I'm going to start off by saying that Tyler Townsley does a tremendous job considering he does it all for free and there are thousands of people to try and please. I say that because I really am on his side, regardless of how I was introduced as his biggest critic.

(That was because two years ago, Corvettes drove down a muddy road when a paved one was about 75 feet away going to the same place. That is really the fault of those directing traffic, not Tyler. Anyone with a lick of sense would know that was a bad idea.)

There are a lot of issues. But to win the Corvette people, you have to win the wives and girlfriends. Without them, the guys don't go. This isn't the old days where a dozen car buddies took off for the weekend, slept 4 or 6 or 8 guys in a room, went nuts all weekend, and then went home Sunday night. We aren't 25 years old anymore.

This I know from as far back as Bloomington 1977. While the wives and girlfriends of many in our club loved the Corvettes, they didn't love walking around looking at old parts for 8 hours a day in 90° heat or sloppy mud for two or three days. They split about noon, right across the road to the mall and the restaurants that were all within a few blocks of the Bloomington show. Or went back to the hotels just a few blocks away to hit the pool.

That was the winning combination of Old Town. Tired of Corvettes, well, there were shops right there, restaurants in all directions, tourist things to do, and Disney just a few miles away to keep the kids happy. and many had hotels in walking distance.

But Old Town is NEVER going to work for this again.

I have gone since Cypress Gardens in '87. I missed '86 as I found out about it after. Like GB said, advertising of the show is and always has been poor. Advertising cost money, money that I doubt they have to spend, but without it, no one comes. My buddy and I went to Chili's after the show two years ago. We were the only Corvette in the lot. No one there knew that a Corvette show had gone on for 3 days.

Cypress had three issues. The first was the $28 fee to go into Cypress Gardens to see the judged cars. As such, most stayed outside at the swap. Second things began developing and there were fewer places for people to park to attend. And Finally, they closed. Cypress gardens is gone, although a beautiful location.

Disney as far too expensive to rent, from what I understand.

The Hilton was great in many respects, with indoor areas for judging, and paved vending area, although that could get hot, but never muddy. Still, did you ever get there after 9 am? I hope you have your hiking shoes on. There was far too little parking for people coming to look and buy. I knew guys who bought spaces just so they could park in the swap and not have to worry about cars a mile down the road in a ditch.

Old Town in the beginning was great. That is what everyone remembers. The auction was there. There was a lot of parking for visitors. There was plenty for the non-Vette person to do. It was close to food and hotels. It was as good as Bloomington in the '70s and early '80s.

But for all those looking at Old Town today, there is NO PARKING for visitors today. Three years ago, I took my family for the first time in a long time, and we parked at Red Lobster. The Corvette parking was wonderful, but if you brought anything else, you fought for 15 to 20 feet of grass on the edge of the road where you were in danger of being sideswiped by anyone trying to get through. Many of the shops were closed or filled with junk.

I like the Lakeland site. For a show and swap meet, it is great. It is easy access. It is wide open there. Terrific parking for everyone.

But there are absolutely facilities for anyone other than those showing, selling, or buying. Hotels are all too far away. Restaurants are far away. heck of a ride to an airport, even though we are at one. Too far from the auction.

As much as some dislike auctions, the auctions brings in a huge crowd. At the Hilton and Old Town, those waiting for certain cars to come up would wander through the swap area, the Corvette For Sale area, and the show cars. This boosted sales for those selling and made it profitable for them to come. In 2006, I took my 1979 there to sell. I didn't know the auction had moved, and probably 95% of the car buyers went with it. I didn't get a nibble. I would never pay all the expense to take a car to the Winter Regional to sell again. All the buyers at at the auction. No one with money is at the swap meet.

All of this said, how do we help Tyler fix it? Because we can't expect him to do it alone. and it needs to be fixed. The Winter Regional has too much history and is one of the few large shows around. We have to keep it going. but we have to make it so that it is profitable for those who come to sell or they won't come. And without them, you won't have a show.
If we look back in time, MECUM came to Kissimmee originally BECAUSE NCRS had a great show and following. Then they got BIG !!

Quick Reply: Florida NCRS Regional