C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

still have starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM
jeo60005
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still have starter problems

My 67 327-350 hp still has starter problems I have 2 volts to s terminal and 4.8 volts to starter side, battery shows 12 volts any suggestions? Does power go thru
the voltage regulator? Hopefully someone might have suggestion to try. THANKS Jack
Old 01-15-2017, 04:41 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Jack,

It would help to have information about how you are making those measurements. Under what conditions do you see 2 Volts on the S terminal? And same question regarding the 4.8 Volt reading. Also, are you seeing 4.8 Volts on the large solenoid terminal to which the battery cable connects? And (I bet you see this one coming) what are the conditions during which you see 12 Volts at the battery?

No, starter current does not go through the Voltage regulator. My hunch is you've got a loose connection.

Jim
Old 01-15-2017, 08:05 PM
jeo60005
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Jack,

It would help to have information about how you are making those measurements. Under what conditions do you see 2 Volts on the S terminal? And same question regarding the 4.8 Volt reading. Also, are you seeing 4.8 Volts on the large solenoid terminal to which the battery cable connects? And (I bet you see this one coming) what are the conditions during which you see 12 Volts at the battery?

No, starter current does not go through the Voltage regulator. My hunch is you've got a loose connection.

Jim
Jim, I got those readings while trying to start the car. Thanks Jack

Last edited by jeo60005; 01-15-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

have you checked the fuesable links
Old 01-15-2017, 09:26 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

What have you replaced or worked on prior to the problem starting? Starter? Solenoid? Cables? Alternator? etc.?

12v at the battery under the load of the starter while trying to start sounds like a bad positive or negative cable or cable connection from the battery to the starter and/or ground. The battery should be about 12.4 volts with no load. I would expect the battery voltage to drop a couple of volts under starter load, but no more than 3 or 4 volts.

Put a jumper cable between the negative battery clamp and an engine ground. Try to start it again. If no change, put a jumper cable between the positive battery clamp and the large positive post on the starter (careful not to short it out). Try to start it again. That way you have ruled out a bad cable. A bad connection in the solenoid on the large battery connection could also be breaking down under load.

Are the headlights bright with the engine off or dim? Anything else quit working with the beginning of the starter problem? Ammeter? Radio? etc. when the key is in the on position?

Last edited by R66; 01-15-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: any thing else not working
Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 AM
jeo60005
Heel & Toe

Default still starter problems

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
have you checked the fuesable links
no I haven't will try that thanks, Jack
Old 01-16-2017, 09:58 AM
jeo60005
Heel & Toe

Default starter problems

Originally Posted by R66
What have you replaced or worked on prior to the problem starting? Starter? Solenoid? Cables? Alternator? etc.?

12v at the battery under the load of the starter while trying to start sounds like a bad positive or negative cable or cable connection from the battery to the starter and/or ground. The battery should be about 12.4 volts with no load. I would expect the battery voltage to drop a couple of volts under starter load, but no more than 3 or 4 volts.

Put a jumper cable between the negative battery clamp and an engine ground. Try to start it again. If no change, put a jumper cable between the positive battery clamp and the large positive post on the starter (careful not to short it out). Try to start it again. That way you have ruled out a bad cable. A bad connection in the solenoid on the large battery connection could also be breaking down under load.

Are the headlights bright with the engine off or dim? Anything else quit working with the beginning of the starter problem? Ammeter? Radio? etc. when the key is in the on position?
R66, thanks for ideas to try. All you guys on corvetteforum are great. Thanks again Jack
Old 01-20-2017, 10:01 AM
jeo60005
Heel & Toe

Default starter problems no more

Originally Posted by jeo60005
R66, thanks for ideas to try. All you guys on corvetteforum are great. Thanks again Jack
R66, after trying your suggestions it turned out to be the positive cable even though it seemed ok. The car starts fine now. Thanks alot, Jack
Old 01-21-2017, 12:06 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

R66, after trying your suggestions it turned out to be the positive cable even though it seemed ok. The car starts fine now. Thanks alot, Jack
Glad we OLD FARTs could pass along a little of the redneck knowledge we have learned the hard way (some we even remember).

Glad it worked for you. Pass it along to the young pups to keep the classics alive.

Ron
Old 01-25-2017, 10:58 AM
jeo60005
Heel & Toe

Default Vette now starts

Originally Posted by R66
Glad we OLD FARTs could pass along a little of the redneck knowledge we have learned the hard way (some we even remember).

Glad it worked for you. Pass it along to the young pups to keep the classics alive.

Ron
R66, I ended up having to replace the ground cable also starts fine now thanks again. I am also an old fart
Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

R66, I ended up having to replace the ground cable also starts fine now thanks again. I am also an old fart
When I was 19, I knew more than Einstein and my OLD MAN (Dad) was the dumbest SOB in the world, but then I got married, had a son, and was given a free vacation across the pond where I was the OLD MAN at 21. When I came home, that dumb OLD MAN was the smartest SOB in the world. I am just lucky to REMEMBER 10% of what he tried to teach me and 20% of what I learned on my own and in college. Don't know that I ever filled his shoes.

No insult intended, as our house is full of home to two OLD FARTS and hundreds of real farts every day. We just have to remind our fellow OLD FARTS of the things they forgot in the last 1/2 century or so. More important is to pass on what you know to others, especially the young Einsteins of our hobby.

Glad to help you out, it's your turn.
Ron

Get notified of new replies

To still have starter problems

Quick Reply: still have starter problems