C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Rear Brake Lights and Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:27 PM
afanucci
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Lights and Turn Signals

I have a 63 Vette. I have running lights in the rear but no brake lights or turn signals. The turn signals work in the front of the car. New bulbs and fuses have been put in so far any ideas.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:36 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by afanucci
I have a 63 Vette. I have running lights in the rear but no brake lights or turn signals. The turn signals work in the front of the car. New bulbs and fuses have been put in so far any ideas.
Most likely a ground issue. Have you checked that yet?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:43 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Most likely an issue with the turn signal switch. I'll type more when I get home. Tail lights and turn signals use the same ground so that's probably not a ground issue.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Turn signals are unique in 63.. The switch is down at the bottom of the steering column mast jacket. You can loosen the cable there and slide the switch by hand and see if it's a cable adjustment or switch problem. This method eliminates the mechanical under the horn button.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The voltage from the brake light switch goes to the turn signal switch. If it's in the middle, the voltage feeds both rear brake light bulbs. If it's turned to one side the switch interrupts the voltage to that side and inserts the 12v flashing from the flasher. So if the internal contacts aren't making on the turn signal switch, you can lose both brake lights and turn signal lights. The fronts are working so the switch isn't totally disconnected. Check it to see if the connector is cocked or not inserted fully. There is also a rear body connector under the driver's side dash that feeds those voltages to the rear, and you could have a connection problem there. The most likely is either internal turn signal contact issues, or broken wires there. The fact that the fronts don't go through that switch also tends to point there.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 01-16-2017 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Corrected wording on turn signal switch (changed to lights)
The following 2 users liked this post by 65GGvert:
afanucci (01-16-2017), Gofltn1 (03-10-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The voltage from the brake light switch goes to the turn signal switch. If it's in the middle, the voltage feeds both rear brake light bulbs. If it's turned to one side the switch interrupts the voltage to that side and inserts the 12v flashing from the flasher. So if the internal contacts aren't making on the turn signal switch, you can lose both brake lights and turn signal switch. The fronts are working so the switch isn't totally disconnected. Check it to see if the connector is cocked or not inserted fully. There is also a rear body connector under the driver's side dash that feeds those voltages to the rear, and you could have a connection problem there. The most likely is either internal turn signal contact issues, or broken wires there. The fact that the fronts don't go through that switch also tends to point there.
OP...this is the man to listen to
Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

One quick check you can do, with key off and brake pedal pressed you should have 12v on the wire coming from the brake pedal switch to the turn signal switch. It will be "natural" colored, like off white. If you have it there and then measure on the pink wire and the violet wire coming out of the turn signal switch with the turn signal handle in the center position, you should also have 12v there. If you don't have it on the natural wire, measure on the orange wire to the brake pedal switch. Let me know what you have there.

If you'll post back what voltages you see on the natural and the pink and the violet wires at the turn signal switch with brake pressed we can determine if you have more than one problem or if it's in the switch.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 01-16-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Brake Lights and Turn Signals

Quick Reply: [C2] Rear Brake Lights and Turn Signals