C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] power timing and idle mixture

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
I was just out in the garage running engine and rechecking timing numbers:
The QF carb is fairly new, rated 600 cfm. No fuel drip observed with engine idling. When the engine was rebuilt, using the piston stop method to verify damper number marking to timing tab showed '0' to be almost dead on - within one degree.

Manifold vacuum at idle shows 13.5 on the gauge @ 950 rpm. The vacuum can in the distributor is a B26. A brass bushing is installed on the plunger end. Distributor advance weights are aftermarket as are advance weight springs. Lighter tension springs are being used. Original factory advance weights long gone.

With engine running the dial back shows 35* mechanical advance @ 3000 rpm, vac can disconnected. Engine idle with vac can disconnected shows static timing @ 17*. .. Experimenting with static timing down to the 10* - 12* range, engine idle does smooth out some. Turning in idle mixture screws with static timing @ 12* and vac can hooked up doesn't seem to yield much change with a leaner fuel mixture at this timing setting as compared to before. Thinking to experiment more with this.
Hopefully, getting something close to 375 hp timing numbers will help with the idle issue.

Next up might be to limit vac can advance to 12* to back off idle timing and keep mechanical advance in the 36* range.
Thanks, guys.
John
If I'm following your post correctly, you might want to experiment with wrapping your weights with rubber bands to hold them retracted and check your initial timing. For terminology I refer to your distributor setting as initial or static timing; centrifugal advance as mechanical timing; and both static and mechanical timing as total timing (minus vacuum). I suspect you are getting some centrifugal (mechanical) advance while at idle which is masking your true initial static timing and amount of centrifugal advance. My BB is subject to this in order to use light enough springs to get all my mechanical advance in by about 3000 rpm.

Some guys think this is perfectly OK to have some centrifugal advance in at idle and with a stock engine with a mild cam it probably does no harm. However, if you have a pretty lumpy cam and the low end is a bit weak - if you are like me you take off in first in a normal manner by giving it a little gas (which brings in more centrifugal advance) and then release the clutch fairly quickly to avoid excessive slipping which usually drags the engine speed back down - even below idle a little - and all that advance drops back out, engine loses power as a result and you end up stumbling away as the engine tries to recover. It doesn't make for the best street manners.

Ideally I would like to delay my centrifugal advance from beginning until at least slightly above idle. But setting up distributors is sometimes about compromises.

Every engine will be a little different but even with a 12 deg vacuum can I was getting too much advance at cruise with 36 degrees static and mechanical and it was constantly missing/surging. I had to make a limiter for my vacuum can finally to get it down to 8 degrees vacuum advance to solve this.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
I was just out in the garage running engine and rechecking timing numbers:
The QF carb is fairly new, rated 600 cfm. No fuel drip observed with engine idling. When the engine was rebuilt, using the piston stop method to verify damper number marking to timing tab showed '0' to be almost dead on - within one degree.

Manifold vacuum at idle shows 13.5 on the gauge @ 950 rpm. The vacuum can in the distributor is a B26. A brass bushing is installed on the plunger end. Distributor advance weights are aftermarket as are advance weight springs. Lighter tension springs are being used. Original factory advance weights long gone.

With engine running the dial back shows 35* mechanical advance @ 3000 rpm, vac can disconnected. Engine idle with vac can disconnected shows static timing @ 17*. .. Experimenting with static timing down to the 10* - 12* range, engine idle does smooth out some. Turning in idle mixture screws with static timing @ 12* and vac can hooked up doesn't seem to yield much change with a leaner fuel mixture at this timing setting as compared to before. Thinking to experiment more with this.
Hopefully, getting something close to 375 hp timing numbers will help with the idle issue.

Next up might be to limit vac can advance to 12* to back off idle timing and keep mechanical advance in the 36* range.
Thanks, guys.
John
I think the B-26 vacuum control gives 15* @ 12" vacuum so it sounds matched to your engine if you use full manifold vacuum advance.

How far out are your idle mix screws adjusted. I believe the reason the engine smooths when you retard the initial timing is because you give the diluted idle mixture longer to compress which makes more heat and the mixture lights easier. The idle smell you think is rich could be incomplete combustion because of the above. If you get the timing close you can lean the idle mixture by reducing the idle feed restriction by .002-.003 and see how the car runs.

A good indicator if the idle jet size is close is with the transfer slots set almost closed (little squares) the emulsion screws are approx 1 to 2 turns out at warm idle.

The way your distributor is set up it sounds like you could use ported vacuum advance, set the initial timing at 18*+- and then experiment with different vacuum advance controls using a ported source. If you decide the use full manifold vacuum advance I would think 10-12* initial timing would be good but that may cause the total centrifugal to fall short.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:50 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg

Thanks, guys.
John
John, review what you wrote and adjust to match the reported benefit.

35d total at 3000 rpm, no vac, is good.

The resulting 17d at idle, not good.

12d at idle, better.

The solution is more centrifugal advance, from the reported 18 degrees (35-17), to a less aggressive 23 degrees (35-12).

You may need a skinner advance stop pin collar, or just a squeeze to pinch more slot travel from the existing collar.

​​​​​​​Use what you find to work best at full rpm, and at idle, to guide your direction in adjustments.

​​​​​​​Get the full rpm and static idle rpm timing optimized, centrifugal advance first, before tuning vacuum advance.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:26 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

The 365/375 HP engine spark advance map works as well with the LT-1 or Duntov cams as it does with the 30-30 cam... actually better because the two former cams make more low end torque.

It's that simple!

Duke
Old 01-20-2017, 06:50 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Also don't forget to factor in the camshaft if not installed straight up!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Don't be afraid of dynamometers and O2 sensors. That's the modern way to tune and what every professional racing team uses. Not cheap but most dyno have a wideband O2 for tuning customer cars. Many times a dyno shop will run specials or have club discounts.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:42 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
The 365/375 HP engine spark advance map works as well with the LT-1 or Duntov cams as it does with the 30-30 cam... actually better because the two former cams make more low end torque.

It's that simple!

Duke
People fail to recognize the 24 degrees of advance travel in the correct SHP spark advance map is aggressive enough for most high performance cams. Get the travel correct and then tune with springs.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:31 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

The pistons are hyperutectics, yes. Compression ratio comes in at 9.75 with a .015 steel shim head gasket. Backing off the static timing to 12* looks to be a good starting point. Anything lower, the engine labors and wants to stall unless idle screw is turned up significantly. I haven't tried holding the advance weights in place with rubber bands. The timing is stable at 950 rpm. No notable balancer timing mark jumping around to suggest the advance weights coming in early.
The B26 vac can replaced a B28 that was in use. The B28 seemed to add too much ignition advance at too low an rpm to induce a trailer hitching condition. The B26 vac can worked out better.

​Also in the works is to refresh the distributor with a rebuild kit ordered up from Willcox. The rebuild kit includes a new shaft, drive en gear and housing, and button.

​​​​​,https://willcoxcorvette.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/940x587/f64e6f78ad8ff0f538d56bcc7762581b/d/i/dist001-corvette-part.jpg

The idea is to add a plunger stop while the distributor is apart.
All suggestions appreciated. .. Thanks, guys.
John

BTW, wanted a to add:
While monkeying around with the timing light trying to get it just so, the positive lead clamp on the timing light rotated slightly and shorted out against the left side vertical spark plug wire shield. The engine sputtered, then died. The 30 amp fuse that was added to the large black wire that connects at the center solenoid post blew. Smoking wires aside, this is the second time the fuse has blown. First time was a Pertronix install that went slightly awry. ..

Last edited by mrg; 01-22-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] power timing and idle mixture