C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] secret to timming 1963 L-84

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM
tfuith
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Not true!

The '63 L-84 was set up with ported vacuum advance. Why? I don't know, but they screwed it up. It was fixed with the '64 ...380 system that provided full time vacuum advance and a VAC that passed the Two-Inch Rule.

To the OP: The OE centrifugal is 0 @ 700, 24 @ 4600. In order to set initial timing you have to get the engine to idle stably at less than 700 for a few minutes, which is virtually impossible. That's why you should set total WOT advance in the 36-40 range a few hundred revs above the point of max centrifugal, but that means revving the engine to about 5000.

The solution is to install lighter centrifugal springs to get it in by 3500 or even as soon as 2500. The engine will be more responsive in the lower rev range.

What you really need to do first is test for the centrifugal start and stop points and total centrifugal advance because it may have been modified in the last 54 years.

I also recommend you convert to full time vacuum advance, which will require replacing the OE 15" 201 15 VAC (or whatever is installed) with current 8" B28.

The above setup should yield about 12" @ 900 idle behavior assuming it has a OE equivalent Duntov cam or something close.

Duke
good morning, where can i find the 2 vac"s you mention above. i have gone to several parts store but they all need a part #. would you have pn# or where to buy them.
tom
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM
aaronz28
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tfuith
good morning, where can i find the 2 vac"s you mention above. i have gone to several parts store but they all need a part #. would you have pn# or where to buy them.
tom

go to Napa -
I'd advise you look for the Vacuum Advance Can for either the 64-65 FI Cars, or the 67-8-9 Z28 Camaro with 302 -
both should have the same vacuum can on them - and will pull advance at 10-12" of vacuum

Cheers
Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 AM
tfuith
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default secret to timing

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
Tom -

I know Ken test drives his repaired FI systems, so I agree that your FI unit and distributor are not the root problem. It sounds like you're very frustrated at this point. I'd also be tired of spending money with no driving fun to offset it.

Here's what I'd do in your shoes: I would call Ken and find out how your engine and ignition set-up differs from his test car. He may ask you a lot of questions, but I'm sure he won't charge you for his time. Once you know how your car differs from his you'll have an idea what to try next.

If all else fails, you can call me. I'm confident I can diagnose your problem(s). I won't charge you for my time either.

Jerry Bramlett
Mobile, AL
(251) 478-4003
jerry thanks. i have talked to ken h. and he was kind enough to suggest he make a house call, so he is checking his schedule and will let me know. all the people who responded to to my post have been fantastic and i hope i someday i can return the favor

thanks tom f.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This has been an interesting thread. As the repairs/adjustments are done, pictures would be much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

The B28 VACs are out of production by Standard Motor Products, but recently Airtex still offers B28s under their 4V1053 part number.

BTW, L-76 has the same spark advance map as L-84 except L-76 has full time vacuum advance. However the 15" 201 15 VAC does not meet the Two-Inch Rule with the Duntov cam. This caused idle instability and stalling problems.

I fixed it circa 1965 by installing the 365/375 HP centrifugal weights/springs and 8" 236 16 VAC, and the more aggressive centrifugal yielded noticeably better low end torque without causing any detonation.

Of course, those OE parts are long gone, but the B28 VAC has the same specs as the 236 16, and you can buy an aftermarket spring kit like Mr. Gasket 928G and install the lightest springs in the set.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 01-23-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:03 AM
tfuith
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

The B28 VACs are out of production by Standard Motor Products, but recently Airtex still offers B28s under their 4V1053 part number.

BTW, L-76 has the same spark advance map as L-84 except L-76 has full time vacuum advance. However the 15" 201 15 VAC does not meet the Two-Inch Rule with the Duntov cam. This caused idle instability and stalling problems.

I fixed it circa 1965 by installing the 365/375 HP centrifugal weights/springs and 8" 236 16 VAC, and the more aggressive centrifugal yielded noticeably better low end torque without causing any detonation.

Of course, those OE parts are long gone, but the B28 VAC has the same specs as the 236 16, and you can buy an aftermarket spring kit like Mr. Gasket 928G and install the lightest springs in the set.

Duke
i have ordered the mr gasket spring kit i will let you know.

how accurate do you need to be finding top dead center , i am within 1 hash mark of "0" on the plate on the block
Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

how accurate do you need to be finding top dead center , i am within 1 hash mark of "0" on the plate on the block
I'm not sure what you are doing, but if you are verifying TDC with a piston stop or some other method and find the balancer notch one hash mark (which is 2 degrees) from zero on the tab, that's okay considering production and measurement tolerance, but document whether it is advanced or retarded.

With the lightest springs installed, set total WOT advance in the 36-40 range as high as possible without detonation taking into account the error you measured on the timing tab. If you get significant detonation retard in two degree increments until the detonation goes away.

Duke
Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 PM
tfuith
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not sure what you are doing, but if you are verifying TDC with a piston stop or some other method and find the balancer notch one hash mark (which is 2 degrees) from zero on the tab, that's okay considering production and measurement tolerance, but document whether it is advanced or retarded.

With the lightest springs installed, set total WOT advance in the 36-40 range as high as possible without detonation taking into account the error you measured on the timing tab. If you get significant detonation retard in two degree increments until the detonation goes away.

Duke
duke, this is what i have as of today with vac connected i get 15 deg at idle 900 rpm, at 2500 rpm i get 42 deg. i havent driven it yet but i will.
is this acceptable or am i missing something i also ordered the springs from mr gasket.

this whole mess started with a surge at a steady speed i any gear i have tried adj the power and economy stops but no help so it has morffed into where were at now, timing. after i drive ill let you know

i have 2017 ZL-1 camaro and i am taking it in for the 500 mile inspection. super car thanks for all your help tom
Old 01-27-2017, 12:41 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

you have to provide those timing figures with the vacuum disconnected and preferably at lower idle speed for the first number.
you have to provide the number of additional degrees you get at idle when the vacuum line is connected to a constant vacuum source.

Last edited by MelWff; 01-27-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:43 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
Total timing all in with the vacuum advance disconnected should be 36-38 degrees around 3000 RPM and with the vacuum advance connected to a full vacuum source it should be 52-54 degrees.

Joe
duke, this is what i have as of today with vac connected i get 15 deg at idle 900 rpm, at 2500 rpm i get 42 deg.

is this acceptable or am i missing something
I think you missed Plaidside's post.

You don't need any help setting the timing properly on your car by substituting parts out of an Honest Charlie catalog or a vacuum unit from a later model with and entirely different advance curve and camshaft. Your stock parts should allow you to get what Plaidside says except your mechanical advance will probably come at a higher rpm.

Start over. Unhook the vacuum advance hose and plug it. Set the initial at 12* BTDC. Rev the engine until the distributor quits advancing. You'll probably be around 34*-36* degrees when the distributor plus inital reaches that point. Hook up the vacuum advance and re-run the previous test and note the results of total timing. You should see whatever advance you got the first time plus 12*-14* additional from the vacuum.

If you didn't get these results, you have something wrong and it should be easy to diagnose here instead of just wildly swapping all these non-stock parts in the equation when you don't even have a baseline to start with as yet.

Can I you have verified where TDC is on your balancer reference?

Last edited by MikeM; 01-27-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:27 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

duke, this is what i have as of today with vac connected i get 15 deg at idle 900 rpm, at 2500 rpm i get 42 deg. i havent driven it yet but i will.
is this acceptable or am i missing something i also ordered the springs from mr gasket.

this whole mess started with a surge at a steady speed i any gear i have tried adj the power and economy stops but no help so it has morffed into where were at now, timing. after i drive ill let you know

i have 2017 ZL-1 camaro and i am taking it in for the 500 mile inspection. super car thanks for all your help tom
Does the advance continue to increase above 2500? If you did not test above 2500 to find the point of max centrifugal advance your test is not valid. As stated the VAC must be disconnected and signal line plugged. A golf tee works well.

Start by revving the engine (VAC disconnected/signal line plugged) and observe when the timing mark stops advancing. This is the speed that centrifugal is all in. If the centrifugal advance is OE, maximum is not achieved until 4600.

Total WOT advance, 36-40, should be set a few hundred revs above the speed of maximum centrifugal advance. That means 5000 if your centrifugal is OE, but less with lighter springs.

Then drop revs to idle and below and record the RPM that the advance stops retarding, and the advance you read is intiial timing. It may be 700 or less and it's tough to get a Duntov cam engine to idle stably at this speed for any length of time, but that's not a big deal. The important thing is to get total WOT advance in the right range.

That's why with high overlap cams the Total WOT advance method should be used, because centrifugal might not be fully retarded until such a low speed that the engine will not idle stably long enough to measure and adjust initial timing.

The difference between initial timing and total WOT advance is the amount of centrifugal added with engine speed. OE is 24.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 01-27-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] secret to timming 1963 L-84