C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pitman arm install advice

Old 01-22-2017, 03:57 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Pitman arm install advice

Continuing to work on my inherited project. Steering column/box was rebuilt before it was brought to me. I have checked it in accordance with several forum and Youtube videos for play etc. and it looks good. The pitman arm is still attached to the steering linkage. I noticed on the steer box spline that there is a gap (no spline) at about every 90 degrees. The same is true for the pitman arm. I assume that I want to align these gaps on the install. The engine is in the car so not a lot of room to work and I don't want to force anything. I have aligned the wheels straight ahead and have steering at center. Any advice would be appreciated. I attached a picture of the gap that I am referencing. I do have the ST-12 and assembly manual.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by jcchevy
Continuing to work on my inherited project. Steering column/box was rebuilt before it was brought to me. I have checked it in accordance with several forum and Youtube videos for play etc. and it looks good. The pitman arm is still attached to the steering linkage. I noticed on the steer box spline that there is a gap (no spline) at about every 90 degrees. The same is true for the pitman arm. I assume that I want to align these gaps on the install. The engine is in the car so not a lot of room to work and I don't want to force anything. I have aligned the wheels straight ahead and have steering at center. Any advice would be appreciated. I attached a picture of the gap that I am referencing. I do have the ST-12 and assembly manual.
Oh no you dint...
Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by jcchevy
Jim,
This might help:

Dave Z
The following users liked this post:
jcchevy (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 04:44 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Oh no you dint...
That's what I get for thinking. Let's try again.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Pitman arm install advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pitman arm install advice