C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Please help me identifying engine numbers, date codes, and possibly value

Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 PM
100ultra
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Please help me identifying engine numbers, date codes, and possibly value

I purchased a 1964 Coupe two years ago and have been enjoying it ever since. It was not numbers matching and that never bothered me because my wife and I would rather go for a long drive rather than a car show. With 4:11 gears and being limited to around 60 mph most of the time, I decided to install a Tremec 5 speed. In the process, I have also decided to replace the engine with a GM crate motor since we would like to take the car on longer trips.

I plan on selling the old motor to help recoup some of the cost, but my problem is I have no idea what a fair price would be. I believe that the car was originally a 365 hp and that when the original motor blew up, someone installed a different block and then installed all of the 365 hp components. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The motor runs strong, has a nice lopey hydraulic cam with roller tip rockers. It has good compression and has never used oil or smoked on start up.

I am hoping to sell the engine as a complete unit less carb, distributor, ignition shielding, bellhousing, and starter, but may be persuaded to part it out if necessary.

Any help figuring out a fair price for this engine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
724 887-4053

Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Your block is a 1963 327 cast on January 8, 1963.

It was not built to go in a Corvette. The VIN derivative J191088, the J is wrong for a Corvette (should be an S for St. Louis), and the VIN number approaching 200K is way over Corvette production volume for '63.

Also the engine build stamp of F0110SB means built in Flint on January 10, which matches the casting date, but SB is a non-Corvette engine code, and is consistent with a 300HP with 4bbl and for a power glide tranny.

The heads are 461 heads, consistent for a Corvette, and were cast on July 2 and July 17, 1963, so they did not come on this engine from the factory. The roller rockers are aftermarket, and the valve covers, with the casting crack in the O are later than 1963.

The 461 winters manifold is correct for pretty much any C2 L76 or L79, as the date is on the bottom and can't be seen when assembled.

You have various other parts that Corvette people may need, e.g., harmonic dampener, exhaust manifolds, etc.

If you have a decent video of it running (well), you might be able to sell it as a running engine, but unless you can speak to what cam, pistons, etc, it includes, your price as a package is limited. I'm thinking $1500.

It's a pain, but on the parts for sale the manifold is worth about $400, the heads might be as high as $750/pair if 2.02 valves and in good shape, the harmonic balancer/crank pulley can be $300 for the 8-rib, the exhaust manifolds are $150 each if properly date coded, etc.

If the head casting dates matched my car I would make you an offer.

I hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
100ultra (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:13 PM
100ultra
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Easy Rhino. I really appreciate your quick and very informative reply.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 100ultra
Thanks Easy Rhino. I really appreciate your quick and very informative reply.
My pleasure.

Just paying back a fraction of the help I've gotten here.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me identifying engine numbers, date codes, and possibly value

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Please help me identifying engine numbers, date codes, and possibly value