C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette History Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:48 AM
sapple
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette History Search

I am the 3rd and 5th owner of the same 1961 corvette fuelie and am trying to trace its history. I know the names of the previous owners and have been in contact with all but the 1st. I tried the auto title office and they cannot give me any information. What I am looking for is what dealership it was purchased from and if it came all Honduras maroon. I have been told that in that color the coves were painted a different color but it doesn't appear that these were and are maroon. The car has the original paint and original chrome and is in excellent condition. Is there any way to find original build data and sales data for the corvette? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Steve A
Old 02-12-2017, 10:59 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Have you tried using the ncrs services related to obtaining vehicle history?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:06 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

The best you're gonna get if you can't find the 1st owner, is getting the shipping report from the NCRS, which will tell you the original selling dealer, provided the records are complete for that VIN. If they are, then you have to see if the dealer is still in business, slim to none. And if they are in business, if they even kept records that far back, even slimmer to none.

And the NCRS shipping report won't contain any build data. You would have to have to original window sticker.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:16 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

The service is available for Corvettes 1962 and newer.

See cut and paste below.

With permission granted by the General Motors Heritage Center, the National Corvette Restorers Society is pleased to announce that it can now offer solely to its members, certain information contained in 1962 after number 6000 and through 1975 (with some limited data) Corvette Month Car Shipped Reports.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You won't get anything on the NCRS report as noted....you could try Auto Ancestry ... google it. They traced my '61 back quite a few years but dead-ended at an uncooperative dealer who wouldn't share anything - prob some story there that didn't bear the light of day or he was just an @hole...

Contrasting painted coves were a $16 (IIRC) option and occur now much more frequently than it did on new cars (people just like the look). Short of documentation there is almost no way to tell if you coves were another color but the car's main color is often noted in crayon behind the seat bulkhead...sometimes there is an H/T designation for a hardtop. Might take scraping some paint lightly to find it.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-13-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:22 PM
sapple
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all that responded on my post on 1961 history search. I appreciate the help

Steve A

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette History Search

Quick Reply: Corvette History Search