C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 & C2 prices rising in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
I don't agree with this at all. Nothing wrong with selling to a collector overseas who can appreciate US made cars. It spreads our culture around the world and show the world that we make great cars here in the USA. Why should we give the Germans and Japanese a monopoly on overseas automotive trade. It can also bring cash to the US (given the awful trade deficit).

I've had a lot of cars for sale over the years and I've never found it my responsibility to determine if the buyers intentions met some sort of requirements.

I remember selling a car in the 80s to an Asian guy from out of town who made a call from my house and spoke in Japanese. When I said this to my club members a number of them gave me grief about possibly sending a Covette overseas. I said if it's that important to you, outbid the buyer.

When I was shopping for my last SWC, I found a lot of stories of cars winding up in Germany. That made the competition worse and I believe did drive up the price at that point. Oh well, that's the same concept of capitalism I've always supported.

I don't see a seller needing to walk away from a sale because he might not like where the car might go, or what the seller might do with it. I'd be more offended if he planned to race it until it crashed or cut it up and turn it into a Hot Wheels custom, than if he took it to Europe and respected the car as a valuable historic vehicle. As was said previously, there's plenty of vintage European cars here in the US in people's collections.

Sellers have every right to do what they like and if they don't want to sell to an exporter, that's certainly their right. Personally, I'm not concerned with the buyers plans.
The following users liked this post:
Todd H. (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I originally thought my '61 was sold off to Germany; turned out it went local about an hour from me. The check still cashed...
Old 02-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

100 per cent with Vettebuyer6369

Last edited by Mike Terry; 02-16-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 PM
corvettesander
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by phil2302
Plenty of vintage european cars here in the USA.
Where I am the cars and coffee days are loaded with imports.
I love the vintage Jags Triumphs MGs BMWs Mercedes etc etc..
One of the best, most fun cars I ever owned was a TR6.
Wish I still owned it.
If we can enjoy theirs whats the problem with them enjoying ours??
Cant say for sure, maybe our Brit friend here could comment butI would be willing to bet that restomod really isnt much of a "thing" on the other side of the pond.
I can talk for the Netherlands the custom car scene is small and very limited due to regulations & rules,

for instance if I want to buy a restomod in the usa with like a LS engine new upgrade chassis and c5 c6 suspension setup etc etc....
i could easily ship it over but can never get it titled .

the first and most important thing our Dmv will look for is Authenticity and indentification (ie original Vin stamp tags etc.)
and there for atleast 2/3 of the car needs to be stock (factory original)
or period correct parts .

divided in 3 sections
1 chassis/suspension
2 engine and driveline
3 Body
you can only have 1 of these 3 sections changed radicaly
if you go over that you get in trouble

it will be a different story if i would buy a nice stock or project car then first make it road worthy get it inspected at the dmv, and when i have the title in hand start building a restomod out of it or a custom or hotrod....

Last edited by corvettesander; 02-16-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

I've had a lot of cars for sale over the years and I've never found it my responsibility to determine if the buyers intentions met some sort of requirements.

I remember selling a car in the 80s to an Asian guy from out of town who made a call from my house and spoke in Japanese. When I said this to my club members a number of them gave me grief about possibly sending a Covette overseas. I said if it's that important to you, outbid the buyer.

When I was shopping for my last SWC, I found a lot of stories of cars winding up in Germany. That made the competition worse and I believe did drive up the price at that point. Oh well, that's the same concept of capitalism I've always supported.

I don't see a seller needing to walk away from a sale because he might not like where the car might go, or what the seller might do with it. I'd be more offended if he planned to race it until it crashed or cut it up and turn it into a Hot Wheels custom, than if he took it to Europe and respected the car as a valuable historic vehicle. As was said previously, there's plenty of vintage European cars here in the US in people's collections.

Sellers have every right to do what they like and if they don't want to sell to an exporter, that's certainly their right. Personally, I'm not concerned with the buyers plans.

I fully agree with Vettebuyer6369. When I finally decide to sell something that means I have no further interest in it, nor do I really care where it goes at this point $'s talk and BS walks.

If I have something, a car or otherwise that I have concern about where it goes I give it to someone I know will care for it and treasure it as I have, I have not been wrong yet.

Bill

Quick Reply: C1 & C2 prices rising in the UK