C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Symptoms of Engine Missing when in 3rd and Fourth Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 PM
Gofltn1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there the whole time. We started it up and then shut it down. Gas fumes were still coming up from the carb. He took off the chrome ignition shield, looked at the coil, and wondered out loud "why that black wire was wired there? It should be pink". He switched the wires, positive on positive, negative on negative and the car stated easily and immediately. He said he had never seen a car run with the wires crossed. Like you stated, it shouldn't have run. Some of the plugs were loose and they were tightened afterward but the car was already running better than before.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

A 427 has so much power in one of these cars a novice may not notice the power being way off. Glad you got it running well. Enjoy it!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofltn1
I was there the whole time. We started it up and then shut it down. Gas fumes were still coming up from the carb. He took off the chrome ignition shield, looked at the coil, and wondered out loud "why that black wire was wired there? It should be pink". He switched the wires, positive on positive, negative on negative and the car stated easily and immediately. He said he had never seen a car run with the wires crossed. Like you stated, it shouldn't have run. Some of the plugs were loose and they were tightened afterward but the car was already running better than before.
My '56 Bel Air ran for several months with the two coil primary wires crossed.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've heard of it before, I'm surprised the symptoms weren't more severe..
Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I've heard of it before, I'm surprised the symptoms weren't more severe..

George, in case Steve didn't explain it to you, by reversing the wires on the coil the transformer (coil) reduces the output voltage instead of increasing it, resulting in a weaker spark.

How does it run now? Like a scalded ape?

Good luck... GUSTO

Quick Reply: Symptoms of Engine Missing when in 3rd and Fourth Gear