C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 & C2 prices rising in the UK

Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Rodneychops
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 & C2 prices rising in the UK

Found this feature on rising auction prices, shows that American cars can cut it in on UK roads after all

http://bit.ly/ccar-corvette-auction-pices-uk
Old 02-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Ha! Ask Jackfit how much attention his C2 got on his European whirlwind tour....he stopped traffic nearly everywhere..
Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I would NEVER sell a Corvette to an over seas buyer regardless of price. Its like selling American DNA. For those who don't care or are more of a banker than hobbiest it would make little difference. For what is is worth I want my cars to travel American roads viewed by American residents. For youths wishing to participate in the American dream looking to purchase a classic Corvette, thank these people for exporting examples and price escalation. The law of diminishing supply is already upon us.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I get where you're coming from, jrs 427 but I beg to differ: Not all of us living outside the US are just crazymoney car collectors or investors. Most of us maintain them, fix them, drive them and enjoy the heck out of them.
These cars aren't lost to you. They are ambassadors for the American way. Thanks to this Forum it's easy to participate worldwide in our shared passion. Food for thought: How many Corvettes are stored away in some bunkers in the US never to see the light of day except when auctioned off again? Is that a better option than selling them to someone overseas who actually drives it?

Martin
The following 2 users liked this post by Yankeededandy:
Jackfit (02-14-2017), Vipergtrs (02-20-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Great point, Martin. I'm glad you evidently appreciate Corvettes.

This issue can result in a contentious discussion, but I see nothing wrong with selling a car to an overseas buyer, though I've never done so. It's not like they can never return. Travel costs to inspect and shipping one back is going to obviously add to the cost of acquiring a Corvette that's overseas, and maybe that's part of what Americans find distasteful about it.

People should be able to sell their car to whoever will pay their price, wherever they may be. A lot of the guys on here are convinced that as we age prices will fall dramatically on these old cars. If you believe that, and if we appeal to a worldwide market, perhaps that can be avoided.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd H.
Great point, Martin. I'm glad you evidently appreciate Corvettes.

This issue can result in a contentious discussion, but I see nothing wrong with selling a car to an overseas buyer, though I've never done so. It's not like they can never return. Travel costs to inspect and shipping one back is going to obviously add to the cost of acquiring a Corvette that's overseas, and maybe that's part of what Americans find distasteful about it.

People should be able to sell their car to whoever will pay their price, wherever they may be. A lot of the guys on here are convinced that as we age prices will fall dramatically on these old cars. If you believe that, and if we appeal to a worldwide market, perhaps that can be avoided.
How many times do I have to say I ...... before it means me ? I have no intention of restricting anyones sale. Did you read that in my post ??
Totally MY personal opinion. I can't speak for the thousands of owners. It remains a free country. If I sold a vehicle and the next owner sent it floating on a boat that is up to them. My title exchange will not involve an overseas contract. ( Fact, not Opinion ) Just as there are no Porsche, Alfa Romero, Jaguar, or Mercedes Benz in my hobby. Again, MY personal two cents ( opinion ).
Old 02-13-2017, 05:03 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Maybe GM should shut down and stop making Corvettes. They take orders from overseas every day and build Corvettes just to be shipped overseas. Go to the Plant in Bowling Green and see the Corvettes built that have different color tail lights and turn signal lenses then the ones used in the US. jrs 427 is welcome to his opinion just as the rest of us and GM are welcome to there opinion. There is my $0.05 worth
Old 02-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

There's nothing wrong with being unwilling to sell your Corvette outside of the USA, and vice versa. I'm glad Europeans, Australians and others out side the US appreciate these cars enough to want to buy them.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:26 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Maybe GM should shut down and stop making Corvettes. They take orders from overseas every day and build Corvettes just to be shipped overseas. Go to the Plant in Bowling Green and see the Corvettes built that have different color tail lights and turn signal lenses then the ones used in the US. jrs 427 is welcome to his opinion just as the rest of us and GM are welcome to there opinion. There is my $0.05 worth
Yes. Bought two Euro spec C5's along the way.

The seller of the LT-1 I bought last year was more than happy to accept my Sterling..

It's great these 'poster on the wall' cars can be seen the world over. I get stopped by people that have seen the pictures but never the real thing. Why would anyone want to stop that

A pic for jrs427

It's all good mate, ever find yourself in the UK with the Corvette jitters stop by

Stuart
The following users liked this post:
dmaxx3500 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

I have repatriated 2 Sting Rays from Canada in the last 25 years.
Presently we own just one and have it 30+ years. Its mine forever and I plan to will it so I will never export one. Having said that If I did have one for sale I wouldnt think twice about a foreign sale.
PS ..Dont get me started on restomods...☺ Everyone has there own ideas.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by brit vet

The seller of the LT-1 I bought last year was more than happy to accept my Sterling..

It's great these 'poster on the wall' cars can be seen the world over. I get stopped by people that have seen the pictures but never the real thing. Why would anyone want to stop that

A pic for jrs427

It's all good mate, ever find yourself in the UK with the Corvette jitters stop by

Stuart
Nice!......Sharks and chips☺
Old 02-13-2017, 07:05 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by brit vet

A pic for jrs427

Stuart
they look great
Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by phil2302
Nice!......Sharks and chips☺
Ok I get that

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
they look great
Thanks. I drive these every chance I get, no garage queens for me.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I go to Austria, Germany, the Chek Republic, Sweden and a few other countries every couple years and there are plenty of Corvettes over there. Anything from a 53 to a new C7. and they take great care of there cars. I was i Sweden last year and went to the Power Big Meet Car Show where there were about 10,000 cars there. All the cars were American made cars. It is an all American Cars Car Show, There were a few Vettes there bit the biggest amount of one car I saw was the 59 to 61 Caddy's. I am sure there were more of them there then there in in the United States. They were everywhere. Some in like new condition and some looked like they were just pulled from a junk yard but they do love there American made cars. That was the 20th year for that event. I am sure you could google Power Big Meet and you could find it on the WWW.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The muscle car era is about as appealing to Europeans as the myth of the Old West....they didn't live through it but they can buy a piece of it. I've met Brazilians, British and Norwegian folks interested in my cars that would take far better care of them than some rich American 'fat cat' that just wants more trophies for his collection....

Or some twit with no mechanical aptitude that thinks he can keep them running working on them in his storage shed in Georgia...with a flashlight and a 6-pack.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:42 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Plenty of vintage european cars here in the USA.
Where I am the cars and coffee days are loaded with imports.
I love the vintage Jags Triumphs MGs BMWs Mercedes etc etc..
One of the best, most fun cars I ever owned was a TR6.
Wish I still owned it.
If we can enjoy theirs whats the problem with them enjoying ours??
Cant say for sure, maybe our Brit friend here could comment butI would be willing to bet that restomod really isnt much of a "thing" on the other side of the pond.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:26 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

argument: closed.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 & C2 prices rising in the UK

Old 02-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Ha! Ask Jackfit how much attention his C2 got on his European whirlwind tour....he stopped traffic nearly everywhere..
Most of the Europeans I met with Corvettes drive them more then many of my friends do at home.

Jack
Old 02-14-2017, 03:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I go to Austria, Germany, the Chek Republic, Sweden and a few other countries every couple years and there are plenty of Corvettes over there. Anything from a 53 to a new C7. and they take great care of there cars. I was i Sweden last year and went to the Power Big Meet Car Show where there were about 10,000 cars there. All the cars were American made cars. It is an all American Cars Car Show, There were a few Vettes there bit the biggest amount of one car I saw was the 59 to 61 Caddy's. I am sure there were more of them there then there in in the United States. They were everywhere. Some in like new condition and some looked like they were just pulled from a junk yard but they do love there American made cars. That was the 20th year for that event. I am sure you could google Power Big Meet and you could find it on the WWW.
I'm going this year. Flights and rooms booked. Supposed to have 20,000 cars!

http://bigmeet.com/eng/visitors-info/
Old 02-14-2017, 04:39 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
I would NEVER sell a Corvette to an over seas buyer regardless of price. Its like selling American DNA. For those who don't care or are more of a banker than hobbiest it would make little difference. For what is is worth I want my cars to travel American roads viewed by American residents. For youths wishing to participate in the American dream looking to purchase a classic Corvette, thank these people for exporting examples and price escalation. The law of diminishing supply is already upon us.
I don't agree with this at all. Nothing wrong with selling to a collector overseas who can appreciate US made cars. It spreads our culture around the world and show the world that we make great cars here in the USA. Why should we give the Germans and Japanese a monopoly on overseas automotive trade. It can also bring cash to the US (given the awful trade deficit).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1 & C2 prices rising in the UK