C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Valve cover venting

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM
frankgv
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Valve cover venting

Hello all.
First is there any new information about John Z.
last I read was he felt better, can only pray that is still true.

Can you drill holes on the sides or face of a valve cover for 383 sbc stroker for baffled breather/ pcv caps. Will it cause more opportunities for oil to find its way in there as opposed to having them on the top. This is for "restrictive " reasons.
If you have experience with this please let me know.
Happy upcoming spring , LOL,LOL.
FRANK
frankgv@att.net
Old 02-16-2017, 04:29 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Frank,
Check out the ones in this advertisement...the ones on the left side.

http://www.yourcovers.com/valve_covers_11026.php

Also, this site...same company

http://www.yourcovers.com/valve_cove...1026_holes.pdf

Last edited by leif.anderson93; 02-16-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I have seen somewhere a person vented the covers at the back end. Dennis
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM
frankgv
Racer

Thanks guys.
I'm running stud girdles in my 64 , 383 stroker and not much room inside valve cover top.
I'll cut some holes in the side and try it that way.
Thanks again.
Frank.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,330 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by frankgv
Thanks guys.
I'm running stud girdles in my 64 , 383 stroker and not much room inside valve cover top.
I'll cut some holes in the side and try it that way.
Thanks again.
Frank.
Frank,

Before you cut into factory valve covers look into valve cover risers or spacers. With the stud girdle you may need the room, and they offer a opportunity to drill into and plumb vents for the PVC intake without dama.

I did this on the 350 currently installed in my 63. Very few people notice the spacers.

The 63 and 64 PVC plumbing is a little different. The 64 plumbing may need something a little different.

The 63 draws fresh air into the engine from the air cleaner, through a hose piped to the oil fill tube. The air is then drawn through the crankcase and out of the engine through the tomato can oil separator in the lifter valley, by a hose from the block to a PVC valve on the back of the carburetor for a constant vacuum source.

​​​​​​​The 350 has no tomato can oil separator. The original plumbing source from the 350 engine to the PCV valve was from the passenger side valve cover. I drilled and piped a similar source from the riser to the PVC.

I​​​​​​​ searched and found 1 3/8" spacers for under $50, similar to the spacers shown below.

www.amazon.com/ANSEN-Chevy-Aluminum-Spacers-Polished/dp/B003HPLZVI/ref=sr_1_1?m=A207N3CB1JPGYS&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1487298932&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3AAnsen

​​​
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 AM
frankgv
Racer

Hi and thanks.
there is another problem, i can't go too high with the valve cover because it will hit my (after market) power brake vacuum canister. I'll see how much room there is and look into venting the way you described, thanks again.
Frank.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:31 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

This was from another thread about a month ago I think. Using a Dart SHP block. Makes a completely stealth appearance. I like it.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:20 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,330 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63

This was from another thread about a month ago I think. Using a Dart SHP block. Makes a completely stealth appearance. I like it.
Nice

I like the oil separator in the lifter valley. Do you have details of the tomato can construction?

I drilled and tapped a 1/4" pipe hole in the rear china wall similar to your penetration, but used a modified valve cover baffle. The lifter valley is just too turbulent for the single baffle, and I was sucking too much oil.

I switched to a breather in the valve cover riser as mentioned above, a similar but simple 1/4" pipe nipple tapped into the spacer with no baffle. It works better that the single baffle in the lifter valley. The open valve cover pipe was better than the single lifter valley baffle, but the engine still pulled oil at sustained high rpm (like thirty minutes at 80 mph-plus with 4.11 gears to lose a pint).

Since I had the lifter valley plumbed, I made an oil separator that fits in the factory coil mount under the ignition shielding tin (I use an E-Coil on the firewall/fender).

Crankcase pressure is vacuumed off of the valve cover at the riser into the separator, oil is separated and drained to the lifter valley off the bottom of the separator, and relatively clean crankcase vapor is piped from the side of the separator to the PCV and carb base.

My son was kidding me that the separator is version 5.1, as it took a few trials to get the separator baffles to work, but it works.

It would have been much easier to plumb a tomato can like your design.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:36 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I sent a PM to the guy, and I apologize, i am not at my computer, so i dont remember his name, that built this venting setup. I like it also, but it isnt my design. Just saw it on a thread about a stealth 283 build or something I havent received a reply. If i do i will post it.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve cover venting

Quick Reply: [C2] Valve cover venting