C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1956 dash eyebrow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:40 PM
wcotton@bathfitter.c
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1956 dash eyebrow

Hello Forum

Does anyone have a trick to get a tighter fit on the eyebrow dash installation. I installed the eyebrow on the dash of my 56 and I'm not happy with the fit at the eyebrow portions - it pulls away leaving a gap of 1/8" or so.

It is a new fiberglass piece purchased from Al Knoch - is there any way to twist it closed to lessen the gap in these areas?

The picture is a bad angle but looking from the front you can really see the gap.

Thanks

Wayne
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2017, 12:06 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts

Wayne, did you test remember exactly what it looks like behind the rail there without the rail on, but hopefully there would be something to bond to without danger of something squeezing out if you tried that approach. Otherwise you might have to unwrap it and start over. One other thought- is it possible there is excess material bunched up behind the rail where it curves up that is keeping it pushed out?fit the fiberglass piece before putting the vinyl on? Even the best reproduction pieces might need some finessing. Sanding down the top and bottom edges on the to the left and right of the humps might have been in order. Now that you've got the vinyl on it, maybe you could use contact glue or silicone caulk to bond it just in the eyebrow area. I can't remember exactly what it looks like behind the rail there without the rail on, but hopefully there would be something to bond to without something squeezing out if you tried that approach. Otherwise you might have to unwrap it and start over. One other thought- is it possible there is excess material bunched up behind the rail where it curves up that is keeping it pushed out?

Rich
Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

From the picture you have provided, I don't see a lot of gap. If your objective is authentic, almost all of them had some level of gap. I have done a 56, 57 and 58 and they all had gaps to some level or another. BTW- the gloss level of your dash looks to be way to much. Other than not appearing correct as factory, the glare you will get off of the dash when you drive it will drive you nuts and be dangerous as well.
Panama58
Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 AM
wcotton@bathfitter.c
Advanced

Thanks for the comments - I will try your suggestions

Wayne

Originally Posted by MidShark
Wayne, did you test remember exactly what it looks like behind the rail there without the rail on, but hopefully there would be something to bond to without danger of something squeezing out if you tried that approach. Otherwise you might have to unwrap it and start over. One other thought- is it possible there is excess material bunched up behind the rail where it curves up that is keeping it pushed out?fit the fiberglass piece before putting the vinyl on? Even the best reproduction pieces might need some finessing. Sanding down the top and bottom edges on the to the left and right of the humps might have been in order. Now that you've got the vinyl on it, maybe you could use contact glue or silicone caulk to bond it just in the eyebrow area. I can't remember exactly what it looks like behind the rail there without the rail on, but hopefully there would be something to bond to without something squeezing out if you tried that approach. Otherwise you might have to unwrap it and start over. One other thought- is it possible there is excess material bunched up behind the rail where it curves up that is keeping it pushed out?

Rich
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 AM
wcotton@bathfitter.c
Advanced

Thanks - There is not a huge gap but always striving for perfection, I hope there won't be too much of a glare with the shine on the dash.

Wayne

Originally Posted by Panama 58
From the picture you have provided, I don't see a lot of gap. If your objective is authentic, almost all of them had some level of gap. I have done a 56, 57 and 58 and they all had gaps to some level or another. BTW- the gloss level of your dash looks to be way to much. Other than not appearing correct as factory, the glare you will get off of the dash when you drive it will drive you nuts and be dangerous as well.
Panama58
Old 02-20-2017, 02:23 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,434 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

On the aftermarket brows - often you have to sand them to fit or cut them to fit.

Get notified of new replies

To 1956 dash eyebrow

Quick Reply: 1956 dash eyebrow