C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Search w/Factory Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 PM
sjstub
Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C2 Search w/Factory Air

Being new to the Corvette Forum, I'm still trying to learn the ropes. I'm newly retired, looking to buy my first Corvette...a C2. My heart says '63 or '67 mechanically clean, completely restored, fully driveable...including A/C. Is it expecting too much to include factory A/C in this "dream Vette"? I've got to have A/C for this summer heat of Florida. Maybe I should be looking for a newer model... With a budget of $50,000 I can afford to be somewhat flexible. If this is not reasonably possible, I am willing to proceed with Plan B...whatever that may be. I'm giving myself until the end of 2017 to finalize this plan. Any suggestions? I'm all ears, willing to consider any or all of your ideas. Thanks!

P.S. I've got to finalize this buy before my wife thinks she can use this chunk of change towards a new house...If you know what I mean!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

63's with factory air are pretty rare, as only 278 63's were built with AC. 67's are a bit easier to find with AC.

To be honest, the factory air in early Corvettes is barely adequate, especially if you live in Florida. The quality and efficiency of AC systems 50 years ago, was nothing like we've become accustomed too. You're probably better off buying a car without AC, and installing a good aftermarket system, like one from Vintage Air, or Old Car Air. These modern systems aren't anywhere near as power robbing as the factory AC, and will actually cool the car on a 90+ degree day.
The following users liked this post:
sjstub (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:09 AM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 617 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by sjstub
Being new to the Corvette Forum, I'm still trying to learn the ropes. I'm newly retired, looking to buy my first Corvette...a C2. My heart says '63 or '67 mechanically clean, completely restored, fully driveable...including A/C. Is it expecting too much to include factory A/C in this "dream Vette"? I've got to have A/C for this summer heat of Florida. Maybe I should be looking for a newer model... With a budget of $50,000 I can afford to be somewhat flexible. If this is not reasonably possible, I am willing to proceed with Plan B...whatever that may be. I'm giving myself until the end of 2017 to finalize this plan. Any suggestions? I'm all ears, willing to consider any or all of your ideas. Thanks!

P.S. I've got to finalize this buy before my wife thinks she can use this chunk of change towards a new house...If you know what I mean!
When searching for Corvette that you plan to keep and drive, I think it is important to establish a written list of criteria and separate that list into "mandatory" and "desirable" criteria. Then, hold fast to those criteria and do not limit your search to candidates that are in the local area. The cost to have a car shipped to you is modest compared to the benefits of getting exactly what you want.

If you are in Florida and you plan to buy a coupe, having A/C is probably mandatory. For a convertible the case is less clear.

I'm in Massachusetts and my "mandatory" criteria included 1967, small block, original drive train, convertible, factory air, and red or black factory exterior. Even so, I found several candidates during a nationwide search and within a year I had purchased a car from Ohio that met all of my mandatory criteria.

As it turned out, I rarely use the factory A/C on my convertible, and I'm not sure it would be a "mandatory" requirement if I were to do it again. Most of my trips in the Corvette are short trips around town, and I rarely even bother to turn on the A/C (especially since the convertible top is always down during the summer).

However, the A/C was a blessing when I took my wife on the NCRS Road Tour to the 2013 National in Virginia. Every day was about 100 degrees and we drove about 1200 miles to get there. I think the A/C really paid off on that trip!

You mention a budget of $50K, which I think is low for a car with factory A/C. You might want to consider buying a non-A/C car and then installing aftermarket A/C from Classic Air or Old Air. Those systems reportedly perform very well (possibly even better than the factory air system), and the overall cost would be much less than buying a Corvette with factory air.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted on your progress!
The following users liked this post:
sjstub (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:59 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,689 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sjstub
With a budget of $50,000 I can afford to be somewhat flexible. If this is not reasonably possible, I am willing to proceed with Plan B...whatever that may be.
PLAN B, per gbvette62

"You're probably better off buying a car without AC, and installing a good aftermarket system, like one from Vintage Air, or Old Car Air. These modern systems aren't anywhere near as power robbing as the factory AC, and will actually cool the car on a 90+ degree day."

BTW, I have a '66 coupe with factory air and $50k would not buy it.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:07 PM
4speedy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me like you're looking more for driveability over collectability. Find a car that has had some updates done, 5 speed, maybe a non original motor, stuff like that and you should easily find a car in that price range with money left over to throw in an AC system if it doesn't already have it. If you're willing to be patient you'll find that car you're looking for but if you're in a hurry to pick up a car before the money gets spent that's what I would do.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

I don't have a problem with my67 BB conv. with factory AC keeping me cool. I drove it in 105 heat here in AZ. I found the car with the options I wanted AC PB PS 4 speed. Don't understand people that buy cars that don't have what they want then pay big money to add all the aftermarket stuff that makes the Corvette worth less when it comes time to sell it & that time will come.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I think you'll have a hard time finding a restored factory air car for under 50k. You might find a nom car with add on AC for that. You mentioned a newer model. I know you could find a 68-72 in your price range with matching numbers and AC and keep some money in your pocket. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Last edited by Geralds57; 02-20-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Geralds57
I think you'll have a hard time finding a restored factory air car for under 50k. You might find a nom car with add on AC for that. You mentioned a newer model. I know you could find a 68-72 in your price range with matching numbers and AC and keep some money in your pocket. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.
Now wait just a second!!!!
You mean they made a Corvette after 1967 ?????

Don

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Search w/Factory Air

Quick Reply: C2 Search w/Factory Air