C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

283 cylinder head modifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I think it was right at 11.0 compression and Dart 200cc as cast heads. It was a project using a Dart SHP shortblock where I promised not to do any tweaking or modifying like usual. Bolt together whatever came out of the box.

Yes...it open headers for those tests.

JIM
Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
OK, let's start over.

Here are my plans for the engine. I will start with an older 327 block with draft tube. Stroked to a 383 10 to 1 comp. Hydraulic cam with a 5800 red line worked, 350 heads or aftermarket aluminum, balanced and blueprinted, 2 1/2" rams horn manifolds and exhaust system topped of with cloned 270 h.p. dual quads. Yes, I know I will be leaving h.p. on the table with this set up but it will look like an original 28/270

I think your goals are very similar to what mine were when I built a 383 for my '67. Actually, I started out planning to use my original 327 block and keep the exterior of the engine 100% NCRS correct in terms of external appearance. So, the original plan included ported '462 heads and the original L79 intake.

However, I was pretty much finished with having the car NCRS judged (Top Flight score 98% at the NCRS National), so over time I began to soften my criteria. The nagging question in my mind was that if I was going to spend all the time and money building a 383 short block, why should I limit it with factory heads and intake? Who, exactly, was I trying to please (or fool)?

In the end I used a non-original '657 block, Dart 200 cc iron heads modified externally by Randy Brzezinski to look like stock '462 heads, and a Z28 intake that looks a lot like the L79 intake but flows better. I even decided to use a new 770 CFM carb instead of reworking a period-correct 780 to look like an L79 585.

In the end, my criteria had softened to simply require that to the casual observer, the engine should have the "general appearance" of a stock '67 L79.

Attached is a photo of how the engine looks at the moment (I just finished the installation this week). The NCRS experts on this forum should be able to find a few things in this photo that are not 100% NCRS correct, but I think that any casual observer would think it is a stock L79.

For my current purposes, this is fine with me. I really like the stock, vintage appearance, but I also like to use some creativity to get more power. This engine made 424 HP on the dyno using a fairly mild roller cam (and headers). Peak power with 2.5" rams horn manifolds and stock off-road mufflers was 390 HP.

So, I suggest that you give careful thought to what your goals are, and think carefully about whatever constraints you place on the build. Unless you plan to have the car NCRS judged with this engine installed, you may want to think more in terms of "general appearance" than "NCRS correctness."

BTW, in planning my build, I learned a LOT from Tom Parsons (DZAUTO) and from a series of magazine articles I read about 427Hotrod's Devil Dog engine. For a lot of the "original appearing" challenges you need to think about, those guys have been-there-done-that.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2017, 04:53 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks, I have sent both of those guys emails.
No, I don't plan to have the car judged and like you I just want it to be correct for the casual observer.
Your engine looks good and should accomplish that.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:08 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

68Hemi...sent you an e-mail with some info.

JIM
Old 02-26-2017, 01:47 AM
vetteman64
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 63 Posts

What I have to add may just be frustrating as I don't recall the manufacturer. A recent Super Chevy or Chevy High Performance magazine, there was an ad from an aftermarket head manufacturer that had the double hump casting. The best part, the head is modern and state of art, probably flow wise perfect for your project. Then work out adapting the offset valve cover mounting.
My car has Vortec heads (center bolts) and I use an adapter for the cast Corvette valve covers. Venting and adding oil were definitely a challenge in the effort to look fairly stock, as usable intakes do not have the front oil breather tube.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59
Old 02-26-2017, 10:12 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman64
What I have to add may just be frustrating as I don't recall the manufacturer. A recent Super Chevy or Chevy High Performance magazine, there was an ad from an aftermarket head manufacturer that had the double hump casting. The best part, the head is modern and state of art, probably flow wise perfect for your project. Then work out adapting the offset valve cover mounting.
My car has Vortec heads (center bolts) and I use an adapter for the cast Corvette valve covers. Venting and adding oil were definitely a challenge in the effort to look fairly stock, as usable intakes do not have the front oil breather tube.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59
I think you are talking about the heads that Trick Flow announced back in November. I'm not sure these are a real product yet, but the computer rendering in the product announcement looks interesting.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 283 cylinder head modifications