C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Borgeson Steering "Ease"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:33 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Borgeson Steering "Ease"

I had the Borgeson box installed 1.5 yrs ago at the same time I had the RideTech suspension and an ididit tilt steering column installed. I've got about 600 miles on it since.

What I'm questioning is the "ease" of steering. It clearly can't be driven with fingers, as it requires a full grip to turn the wheel. It feels like it's somewhere between power steering and no power steering.

Is this how your Borgeson feels?

I'm likely paranoid so it may not be anything. My C3 has a FR rack and it steers almost too easily. So when I go from one to the other, it's a big extreme. I've lost sense of how it should "feel".
Old 02-20-2017, 09:56 AM
oldpainter
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by CWerner
I had the Borgeson box installed 1.5 yrs ago at the same time I had the RideTech suspension and an ididit tilt steering column installed. I've got about 600 miles on it since.

What I'm questioning is the "ease" of steering. It clearly can't be driven with fingers, as it requires a full grip to turn the wheel. It feels like it's somewhere between power steering and no power steering.

I'm likely paranoid so it may not be anything. My C3 has a FR rack and it steers almost too easily. So when I go from one to the other, it's a big extreme. I've lost sense of how it should "feel".
I've had mine on for couple years and feels the same as yours. I can't turn tires with fingers, I just figured it was my wider than stock tires. I had a stock power steering on before and this Borgeson box is so much better. I'd rather have this way than too easy to turn. I believe you can tune your power steering pump to increase or decrease the pressure.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I have NO issues with my Borgeson install about turning feel or grip etc after 3 years and approx 7K miles. Dennis
Old 02-20-2017, 11:06 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Default No issues here..............

I've had the Borgeson kit on my '67 for about 8 or 9 months now, having converted from standard (non power) steering. I absolutely love it!

As to your specific question, in my case it depends on what condition/driving status you are starting from. If the car is at a stop/not moving, no, I can not turn the wheel with just my fingers and need to use a full "palms on fingers wrapped" grip.

If the car is rolling along I can steer it with just my fingers - but don't recommend doing so. That's not a very secure/safe way to control a car........
Old 02-21-2017, 11:04 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

mine feels about like my modern BMW or my 2003 T-Bird, a bit lighter eventually if anything.
what you describe as 'one finger turning' sounds pretty much vintage american car, Borgeson is more 'modern'
Old 02-21-2017, 01:40 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by CWerner

My Borgeson steering takes a little effort, less than my F150 and more than my Chrysler. I set the alignment to how I want it to drive, and to provide better highway feel.

The box is modern variable (increased) effort and variable (reduced) ratio, steering box design (when pointed close to straight ahead center) as opposed to a similar 60's era Saginaw steering box without these enhancements (since the corvette never enjoyed a similar integrated assist steering box system) .

The feel & effort will change considerably with alignment changes, most notably with Caster changes. If you want less effort, align with less Caster.

Less caster is what made the manual steering box manageable at low speed, coupled with a 20:1 ratio to reduce the darting and wandering at high speed. You can restore some of the good, and enhance the bad, habits of the manual box and worn suspension components with stock alignment settings.

I recommend you find alignment settings that work for your driving style. Maybe you should copy your C3 alignment, or try a setting in between the current C2 alignment, and your C3 alignment.

What do you have to lose?
Old 02-21-2017, 02:38 PM
lonzoo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

There is an adjustment on these boxes with a kit.. there are a set of very thin washers under the pressure side fittiing on the box.Borgeson sells the kits and they are very simple to put more washers or less as needed. the instructions are very clear as to how many to add or take out depending if you want lighter or heavier steering. It is a 15 minute job and they supply everything you need for around $20.00

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson Steering "Ease"

Quick Reply: [C2] Borgeson Steering "Ease"