C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Rebuilt Carter Carb - 58 - Make A difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rebuilt Carter Carb - 58 - Make A difference?

Just gathering some opinions but having an original carter carb (single carb - 4 barrel 1958) , does having it rebuilt make a big difference in how the car runs? For those that had it done, did the car run better, was it a noticeable improvement? I am currently having mine done but have no idea what to expect when put back on the car.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Nobody can answer that. A) we don't know the condition of your carb before the rebuild and B) the quality of the rebuild underway.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Nobody can answer that. A) we don't know the condition of your carb before the rebuild and B) the quality of the rebuild underway.
Thanks Frankie, but with all due respect, I am not asking to evaluate the outcome of my rebuild, but rather their own experiences with the carb rebuilds,,,for those that have had it done. Were the results to their expecations?
Old 02-20-2017, 03:13 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I rebuilt my WCFB single four barrel for my '61 and I definitely noticed an improvement. Just getting the parts clean will make a difference.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Bomba_MC
Thanks Frankie, but with all due respect, I am not asking to evaluate the outcome of my rebuild, but rather their own experiences with the carb rebuilds,,,for those that have had it done. Were the results to their expecations?
The WCFBs are a marvel of elegant design. A proper rebuild will yield a smooth idle with a snappy response and improved mileage. If your carb wasn't horrible in the first place it might not be that dramatic.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

The WCFB'S are an amazingly efficient yet simple carb when properly set up. When I found a set for my 57, I was impressed with the ease of the rebuild. What I wasn't prepared for was the "tweaking" the previous owner(s) had done. The jets in mine were WAY oversized to the point they ran way too rich, especially since I was living at altitude in Colorado at the time. No doubt most of the action they saw was at the drag strip. Once I re-jetted them and made correct adjustments, they ran amazingly well.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vettepoor
The WCFB'S are an amazingly efficient yet simple carb when properly set up....once I re-jetted them and made correct adjustments, they ran amazingly well.
Ahh yes, glad someone said so. You can have a carb rebuilt by the Rolex watch fellas and put it back on only to find it runs like sh*t or not at all.

The carb has to be set up once on the car, it is hardly ever plug and play. It is important the rebuilder knows what its going on so he can verify jets & metering rods for the engine. The rods are often worn on these. Float adjustment and fitment very important in a WCFB.

Dan
Old 05-12-2021, 10:32 PM
TO_Vette
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had it rebuilt by a Quadrajet expert . Made a big difference and solved a bunch of issues. Problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilt Carter Carb - 58 - Make A difference?

Quick Reply: [C1] Rebuilt Carter Carb - 58 - Make A difference?