C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Corvette Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Root2812
His statement... I missed that was a comma and not a period. It was one thought. So you guys think 40 is too low for any C1? I will reconsider a fair value to insure at before the driving season. I only paid 35k in October so I thought 40k seemed good because I'd get my money back.
Yep. Try to find another comparable one for 40k. You're selling yourself short big time, and probably saving $11 a year on your premium. My '61 is not a 60k car, but is sure as heck is insured for that. And would probably cost pretty near that to duplicate. Less isn't more when it comes to coverage!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Wow....very stupid thieves if that IS the remains of that car. Pretty hard to prove it wasn't just a pile of old parts looking at it, perhaps with a few of the real car's parts thrown in.

Smart thieves would have had that car in a sealed container on board a ship bound for the middle east in less than a couple of days from the theft.
Real BIG money to be gotten that way and no way to trace it in most countries.

BTW....odds are it never came across the border to Canada. They really scrutinize stuff like that very closely.....why would you risk it?

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 02-27-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:52 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Can you clarify? Unless my car is in pieces what... Like if it's stole and recovered in pieces I don't get paid.

As for the value, no I having increased the value. I just bought the car in October. It's only worth about $40k. It's a NOM car with a replaced frame.. Just a really nice driver. I will increase it after I get new interior.
I don't know what year your car is, but you referenced it being a C1.

Sounds like you got a real good buy at 35K, but would you be lucky enough to find another in "like" condition for 35-40K?

I know around here on the west coast, 35K would get you a good fixer, which would require quite a bit of money to bring it up to any standards.

I just rebuilt my entire car, and I know I did a lot of things that weren't necessary, but I put a whole heck of a lot more than 40K into it.

I would suggest you look at the difference of insurance costs of 55K versus 40K. I would bet the cost would be minimal.

In reality, I sure hope the heck you never have to use the insurance, but if you did, you want to be sure that you get enough money to purchase another Vette similar to the one you have.

I was able to up my insurance to 92.5K for our '62. And I would like to take it up higher yet, but I need to get a professional appraisal to do so.

I plan to get the appraisal soon.

None the less, hope you enjoy your car!

Pat
Old 02-28-2017, 11:57 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ptjsk
I don't know what year your car is, but you referenced it being a C1.

Sounds like you got a real good buy at 35K, but would you be lucky enough to find another in "like" condition for 35-40K?

I know around here on the west coast, 35K would get you a good fixer, which would require quite a bit of money to bring it up to any standards.

I just rebuilt my entire car, and I know I did a lot of things that weren't necessary, but I put a whole heck of a lot more than 40K into it.

I would suggest you look at the difference of insurance costs of 55K versus 40K. I would bet the cost would be minimal.

In reality, I sure hope the heck you never have to use the insurance, but if you did, you want to be sure that you get enough money to purchase another Vette similar to the one you have.

I was able to up my insurance to 92.5K for our '62. And I would like to take it up higher yet, but I need to get a professional appraisal to do so.

I plan to get the appraisal soon.

None the less, hope you enjoy your car!

Pat

Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You guys have a good point. I've never had anything overly valuable so it always seemed like I was already being high. Reading your words made me think and you guys are right. Although my car isn't a numbers car it is a nice 59 with a correct 283 and 4 speed. It has fresh professional paint and a freshly rebuilt motor. The past owners widow sold it to me mid restoration. I need to do interiors to make it a show quality car.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (03-01-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 01:51 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

You guys have a good point. I've never had anything overly valuable so it always seemed like I was already being high. Reading your words made me think and you guys are right. Although my car isn't a numbers car it is a nice 59 with a correct 283 and 4 speed. It has fresh professional paint and a freshly rebuilt motor. The past owners widow sold it to me mid restoration. I need to do interiors to make it a show quality car.
Definitely not about questioning show quality. Its not like your driving a trailer queen so your chances of having it stolen, fire or crashed is higher than a trailer queen. Keep up with your insurance and reevaluate it each year. Keep in mind every time something happens like it did to this car makes your corvette a little more rare. Whether that adds value or not it still matters.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:22 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Wow....very stupid thieves if that IS the remains of that car. Pretty hard to prove it wasn't just a pile of old parts looking at it, perhaps with a few of the real car's parts thrown in.

Smart thieves would have had that car in a sealed container on board a ship bound for the middle east in less than a couple of days from the theft.
Real BIG money to be gotten that way and no way to trace it in most countries.

BTW....odds are it never came across the border to Canada. They really scrutinize stuff like that very closely.....why would you risk it?

What did you say??? Just cannot get past your avatar.
ptjsk (03-01-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

My idea of a car alarm. I have a permit to carry. All the neighbors know i carry. Goes back to the line in the Godfather movie - "Pop, would you rather be feared or respected"....we know the answer. I also never leave the Vette unattended. People have NO respect for other's property anymore. Shame.
Attached Images  
ptjsk (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I saw an interview with the owner of the stolen car. It was a Restomod. LS3 Morrison chassis etc. explains why they cut it up. Chassis and drivetrain cost 50k and untraceable. Car was just completed.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:12 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brucebodyman
I saw an interview with the owner of the stolen car. It was a Restomod. LS3 Morrison chassis etc. explains why they cut it up. Chassis and drivetrain cost 50k and untraceable. Car was just completed.
Man that sucks!!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I have several insurance companies for my Corvettes and other cars and truck and trailers. Smith & Weston, Glock and Colt and I carry at least one of my insurance companies with me all the times. I also have a permit to keep them with and on me. I just hope that someday they do catch the SOB's that took it and give them what they have coming.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 03-02-2017 at 01:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Terry:
jimh_1962 (03-02-2017), ptjsk (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Root2812
Instructor

All you guys saying guns will save your car can't be serious. The gun only works if you are there. The car in the story was stolen from a trailer not in front of the owner. You can't say you are with your car 24/7. Your gun won't save your car from theft if you aren't there to shoot.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
I also never leave the Vette unattended.
Never? You've never left your cars side? I think most people have lives where they aren't right beside the car. I'm at work and my car is at home, I can't shoot a thief from here.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:19 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Honestly, I'm sure Mike Terry isn't being literal!

He's just stating what most of us would like! Anyone who carries a gun is not going to shoot somebody over a car. Even if they did deserve it!

Now on the other hand, the criminals would just as soon shoot you rather than deal with you as an obstacle.

Thank goodness for law abiding responsible gun owners, unless you live in the State of California that is!

Instead of dealing with the criminals, the politicians wish to make law abiding citizens into criminals!

Makes a lot of sense huh?

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 03-02-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Of course he isn't literal. My point is a gun can't do anything. It's very tiresome that every time something bad happens someone has to say a gun could have stopped it or that won't happen to me because of my gun. And no one is trying to take your guns away or make it illegal to have one. That's an argument made up to rally gun owners up. All the so called gun control laws and proposals have been about keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and to limit assault weapons. No one really needs a closet full of automatic weapons. We all know that there is no way in hell the constitution ever gets amended to take away guns or make them illegal so why are you afraid of that. If anything they might get slightly harder to buy so if you want one it takes a few extra weeks for more back ground checks. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

My point is that all the statements about how a gun keeps you safe is rediculas. It's just a tool and in the course of everyday life most people will never have to use one. Your car is much better protected with insurance and security systems. You run out with a gun and your likely to get killed too. Killed over a car.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:22 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Of course he isn't literal. My point is a gun can't do anything. It's very tiresome that every time something bad happens someone has to say a gun could have stopped it or that won't happen to me because of my gun. And no one is trying to take your guns away or make it illegal to have one. That's an argument made up to rally gun owners up. All the so called gun control laws and proposals have been about keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and to limit assault weapons. No one really needs a closet full of automatic weapons. We all know that there is no way in hell the constitution ever gets amended to take away guns or make them illegal so why are you afraid of that. If anything they might get slightly harder to buy so if you want one it takes a few extra weeks for more back ground checks. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

My point is that all the statements about how a gun keeps you safe is rediculas. It's just a tool and in the course of everyday life most people will never have to use one. Your car is much better protected with insurance and security systems. You run out with a gun and your likely to get killed too. Killed over a car.

Obviously, you don't live in the State of California!

That's exactly what is happening in California now!

Why is it that individuals think they have the right to tell me what guns I can, and what guns I cannot own?

And if guns aren't a "tool" to keep one self, or for that matter, the Country safe, then I wonder why the Military, Law Enforcement, Secret Service etc.... all carry them?

If you're a law abiding citizen and you like guns...great!

If you're a law abiding citizen and you don't like guns....then don't buy them!

Pretty simple.

Last edited by ptjsk; 03-02-2017 at 05:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ptjsk:
Bob's 64 (03-02-2017), GTOguy (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Honestly, I'm sure Mike Terry isn't being literal!

He's just stating what most of us would like! Anyone who carries a gun is not going to shoot somebody over a car. Even if they did deserve it!

Now on the other hand, the criminals would just as soon shoot you rather than deal with you as an obstacle.

Thank goodness for law abiding responsible gun owners, unless you live in the State of California that is!

Instead of dealing with the criminals, the politicians wish to make law abiding citizens into criminals!

Makes a lot of sense huh?

Pat
Sorry to say Pat you are wrong, I do not carry a gun or 2 just for the hell of it. You come and try to see if I don't shoot you. I was told by a cop friend of mine who said if I ever use my gun, make sure I shoot to kill because a dead man can not come and get you when he is out of jail nor can he file a law suite on you for shooting him if he is dead. No that being said look at this car below and tell me I would not shoot you if I caught you trying to take it. If you think not you are

Remember dead men do not talk so there for the police would have to prove you are not telling the truth on what happened. Now come and try to take my car or cars.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Corvette Stolen

Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Law abiding citizens have the constitutional right to be just as well armed as the military. This right was established over 200 years ago. The reason? To keep a rouge government in check. Disarm the public and you have total control over them. It happened in Germany in the '30's. In CA, the laws are being written to abolish guns by way of the back door: ammunition restrictions and the closure of gun shops. One reason the Japanese did not invade the west coast of the US in WW2 was because they assumed the entire public was armed and ready to fight. They had it pretty correct. That's why they sent bomb-laden balloons. A gun is just a tool, a thing, not good, not bad. Unfortunately, there is no way to regulate and restrict whack jobs from getting one. But one thing's for certain: restrict gun access to the law abiding, and only the criminals and crazies will have guns. Australia did their gun ban a few years back, and home invasions and violent crime went up about 44% in the first year alone. All this said, being armed is unlikely to stop a car thief, and likely to get a former law abiding gun owner in a whole bunch of legal trouble. The best bet is insurance, secure storage, and tracking devices. I agree that car thieves are the lowest of the low, but shooting one down is going down the legal rabbit hole, no matter how good it would feel.
ptjsk (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:05 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
ONE MORE TIME, after reading all the above----------------------------here is why I have my own personal philosophy!

Peacemaker...Colt45
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
For the most part, everyone disagrees with my philosophy, but I let it be known that I'm a b@d@zz when it comes to my property and family, and I plan to keep the same approach regarding thieves and vandals. A couple of times I've heard through the neighborhood grapevine "watch out for the guy that lives on the corner, he'll shoot you". Maybe a good reputation to have and maybe a bad one. But my next door neighbors and the ones across the street like me.

I think the term is deterrence.

You're going to shoot and possibly kill somebody over a car?? Wow! Really?? Over a Vette?? Wow.
"He was a great guy... but he's in jail for life now cause he shot and killed somebody trying to steal his car."

You won't beat that one in court. They don't let you kill people for stealing your property. Get good insurance.

Last edited by KENS78SILVERANNIV; 03-02-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 1960 Corvette Stolen