C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 67 Turn Signal question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:37 AM
Jeffrey67
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 67 Turn Signal question

So my turn signal lever is hanging limp...doesn't work. Do I need a new "Turn-signal switch" ...or just a "cam" or a "doorman"...I don't think my harness is bad, I think something plastic broke.
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Before ordering any parts I would remove the steering wheel hub and have a look see
Old 02-23-2017, 07:42 AM
chrismoore701
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Pop the steering wheel off, either the bolt holding the assembly came out, or the spring popped off or broke. Look before you buy
Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Vettegeezer
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Can you get the lever to stay in the up position (right turn signal)? If so, there is a red plastic spring and catch assembly that is probably broken. I had this problem with my '67 and had to replace that part. The plastic catches are easily broken with time due to plastic degrading with heat, etc.
Phil
Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jeffrey67
So my turn signal lever is hanging limp...doesn't work. Do I need a new "Turn-signal switch" ...or just a "cam" or a "doorman"...I don't think my harness is bad, I think something plastic broke.
As others have said, pull the steering wheel hub and take a look at it. Most likely one of the plastic components has failed. To answer your question is, the switch and harness are an integral part with swaged wire connectors, so the switch and harness are replaced (and sold) as a unit. I wouldn’t advise slicing the harness.

There are a couple of options when replacing the switch – either remove the wires from the connector end and thread the harness, or remove the steering column to thread the harness and connector in one piece. I pulled my column for other reasons but many find it a lot of extra work.

The pics below are what I found when I pulled mine about five years ago and an illustration describing removal of wires from the connector ('67's have a wider one piece connector with more wires).

Last edited by Mike67nv; 02-23-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Jeffrey67
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys, and thanks for the pic Mike67NV. I'm guessing that the screw that holds my lever somehow came out, because the lever is all over the place. So next question...how do I get the wheel off? I'm guessing I start with removing the horn button. I'm pretty good with my hands, but never took off a steering wheel. Maybe I'll try Youtube!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey67
Thanks guys, and thanks for the pic Mike67NV. I'm guessing that the screw that holds my lever somehow came out, because the lever is all over the place. So next question...how do I get the wheel off? I'm guessing I start with removing the horn button. I'm pretty good with my hands, but never took off a steering wheel. Maybe I'll try Youtube!

Getting the steering wheel off is going to do nothing at all....you need to pull the hub...which is the part that the steering wheel is screwed to.

SO...leave your steering well attached to the hub.

YES...YouTube it and go to an OReillys or any auto parts store that has the loan a tool' program and rent the tool to pull the hub.

A harmonic balancer puller tool will also work to pull the hub....just make sure the TWO bolts that thread into the hub are threaded into it pretty well and EVEN so the puller pulls the hub evenly.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Turn Signal question

Quick Reply: [C2] 67 Turn Signal question