C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] The younger generation still dig corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:01 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

I live in a FL community where there is kids out all the time walking around riding bikes etc. I get 'nice car', 'wow!' and thumbs up on every drive from kids of all ages. A little girl 4 or 5 rubbernecked and pointed while trying to grab her parents just yesterday. I let a friend's 10 year old son I hadn't met before sit in it (and let him start it) and just made his day (said it was the best day of his life), he knew what the car was and was so excited. Made his single Mom who works so hard to support him so happy to see him so happy. One of my best days owning the car. Had a similar experience with my 60 Cadillac with a kid with his dad walked up and the boy asked if I minded if he took a pic, he knew exactly what the car was...I talked with and showed him everything for over 30 minutes. There is hope. If these young guys and ladies knew how set they could be if they went the trade route and learned how to work on and restore old cars and do it soon to learn from/with all the guys that are bound to retire soon that do it now...they would be set with a good shop. My 4 month old will learn to drive early so when he steals them they will be safe. I am looking forward to him growing up and I hope enjoying the cars too.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:18 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

A few years ago I was at the track. A Dad and his son came up to me in the pits. His son kept telling me my car was his favorite and even insisted on an autograph! A midyear yanking the wheels got his attention.

I stuck him in the car and you couldn't have wiped the grin off his face!!

Hopefully it sticks with him!

When I'm too old to do this stuff I want to watch someone else...and have them do it with something cool!

JIM
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 PM
bbxlr8
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

So my daughters can drive a stick, change the oil as well as a flat tire. This was the "price of admission" to drive any of our cars and almost all of their friends (female OR male) have no clue how to do any of the above.

Now they love driving the jeep & vette whenever possible. Of course that is NOT what I heard incessantly when they were learning those skills!

BTW those qualities were a big part of how I ended up with their mom...

Last edited by bbxlr8; 02-27-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 AM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a couple of Corvettes; a Goodwood Green '67 coupe and a Safari Yellow '68 convertible. I get the usual amount of thumbs up and nice comments with the '67, but I get a lot more with the '68. Pre-teen girls especially seem to like it. I think it's the color difference that causes this.

Quick Reply: [C1] The younger generation still dig corvettes