C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Sanderson D-Port Long Tube Headers - C32DP

Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM
whagge70
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanderson D-Port Long Tube Headers - C32DP

I have a 1960 Corvette with Fast Burn Heads and in looking for a good D-Port header option I stumbled across Sanderson Headers out of South San Francisco offering as offering a Corvette D-Port header but is a shorty CC31DP. They do however offer a long tube SBC D-Port header but cannot confirm a fit. I spoke to Carlos there and he is of the opinion that they will fit and asked me to be a verification point for them as they would like to add the C1 as an application fit.

Has anyone used these on a 58-62? Looks like a great option it they will fit.

https://www.sandersonheaders.com/san...eader-set.html

Alternatively, Hooker is stating that their Hooker Super Competition Long Tube Headers - 2108HKR with the 1.75 OD Tubes will be large enough to cover the D-Ports. Appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by whagge70; 02-23-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Do you really need long tube headers? The Sandersons do not have true equal length primaries, so there is probably only a marginal performance gain versus something like the Sanderson QP1000 cast manifolds.

Do the Sanderson headers have true 'D' port openings or are they just round tubes that fit over the 'D' ports? If the Sandersons have just round ports you need to compare the shape and size of the 'D' ports to size of the ports on the headers, you may find that part of your 'D' ports are actually being covered.

When I was looking for headers for the 'D' port heads in my '59 I could not find any commercial headers that had true 'D' ports and none that had equal length primaries, so I ended up making my own.

Charles
Old 02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I can answer some of that that ..at least for block hugger Sanderson D-port "shorty"headers. They have an actual D-port shape, and fit over the head's d-ports as they should. Very nice headers..with "thick" head flanges. My heads are GMPP aluminum D-port heads like come on the ZZ-4 crate motors.

However I'm not crazy about the exhaust flanges...belled flanges would have been better than the flat flanges with thick copper gaskets they use. Not that mine have leaked (yet at least) but I don't have any miles on them either.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-24-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by whagge70
I have a 1960 Corvette with Fast Burn Heads and in looking for a good D-Port header option I stumbled across Sanderson Headers out of South San Francisco offering as offering a Corvette D-Port header but is a shorty CC31DP. They do however offer a long tube SBC D-Port header but cannot confirm a fit. I spoke to Carlos there and he is of the opinion that they will fit and asked me to be a verification point for them as they would like to add the C1 as an application fit.

Has anyone used these on a 58-62? Looks like a great option it they will fit.

https://www.sandersonheaders.com/san...eader-set.html

Alternatively, Hooker is stating that their Hooker Super Competition Long Tube Headers - 2108HKR with the 1.75 OD Tubes will be large enough to cover the D-Ports. Appreciate any feedback.

I would avoid that type (if possible)because of close proximity to the plug wires....although the long tubes may be worth the trade off to you?

The Sanderson D-port "shorty block huggers" I have I have offer easy access to the sparkplugs from the top side...(without burning your hands/wires).

See the middle header in the link/article below ( you will have to specify D-port though).

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0601sr-exhaust-headers/
.....scroll on down the article for pics with wires installed...and info on D-ports.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-24-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
Do you really need long tube headers? The Sandersons do not have true equal length primaries, so there is probably only a marginal performance gain versus something like the Sanderson QP1000 cast manifolds.

Do the Sanderson headers have true 'D' port openings or are they just round tubes that fit over the 'D' ports? If the Sandersons have just round ports you need to compare the shape and size of the 'D' ports to size of the ports on the headers, you may find that part of your 'D' ports are actually being covered.

When I was looking for headers for the 'D' port heads in my '59 I could not find any commercial headers that had true 'D' ports and none that had equal length primaries, so I ended up making my own.

Charles
I suggest you read up on the purpose of the "D" port in a sbc head and whether a "D" port header tube could even possibly help performance. Suggest you also look into anti reversion for exh manifolding.

One more item you should consider is whether equal length headers provide the benefit you want or can unequal length tubes have a different kind'a performance enhancement/benefit.

Save me a lot of typing if you research this for yourself.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Ooops! I ment to quote the OP, not cbernhart. My apologies.

Last edited by cardo0; 02-24-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect!

Get notified of new replies

To Sanderson D-Port Long Tube Headers - C32DP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] Sanderson D-Port Long Tube Headers - C32DP