C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Color questions engine ,trans,rear end,undercarriage ,57 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:44 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Color questions engine ,trans,rear end,undercarriage ,57 corvette

Anyone know the color of (Feb )57 corvette engine ?Also was the cast iron transmission cast color or black ? rear end cast color or painted black ?Correct codes or color ? Any spray bombs (rattle cans) that's correct ? Finally was the under carraige , engine compartment , trunk area flat black or car color ? Thanks for any response nrbc7
Old 02-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

According to the NCRS 56-57 Judging Manual (a good thing to buy if you want it correct) the '57 engine is painted orange. The JM doesn't give paint codes, but I think duplicolor's Chevrolet Orange is close enough.

The JM does not specify trans. color. Cast color, I think. Same with rear end. Frame is "slightly dulled gloss black". Underside of body is unpainted, "but may show signs of overspray, especially on spare tire well."

Trunk area and top stowage under the deck lid are interior trim color, typically not high gloss. Engine compartment is "semi flat black"- apparently a little more flat than frame paint. Remember top of the dash is exterior body color except on 1st design white cars, "dulled with a flattening compound in varying degrees from semi-gloss to flat." The paint on the top of the dash in my black '57 is original, and is quite flat.

If you're going to bother with a frame stencil, there is a date of frame assembly and a part number. GM # is 3733595, AO Smith #s are 303190-40, 303190-41, 303190-42, 303190-43. All are in red paint 3/4" high, upside down on the outside of the left frame rail ahead of the rear wheel. Mine is original though somewhat obscured by overspray if you want to see it.

Last edited by Todd H.; 02-26-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:17 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Thanks Todd this is what I needed to know !
Old 02-26-2017, 07:26 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Additionally, PRIOR to engine/tranny install into the chassis, and PRIOR to body drop, the ENTIRE chassis (frame, front suspension, rearend assembly) was painted what is commonly referred to as chassis black. Thus, EXCEPT for the front sway bar link spacers (they apparently were installed after the chassis was painted), EVERYTHING was painted black, which was not a very durable paint-----------------it came off fairly soon after leaving the dealer.
MANY, MANY various colors, indicating inspections, torque specs, etc, in the way of paint daubs, stripes, spots, etc, etc, were applied to various parts and sub assemblies when their assembly was completed, such as the rear axle assembly at the Detroit Gear and Axle plant, front cross member/suspension, etc. All of these sub assemblies (with their various paint markings showing) were then installed on the frame as it passed along the frame/chassis line. Once the complete chassis (less engine/tranny) was complete, it then received the chassis black. DEPENDING ON THE THOROUGHNESS OF THE PERSON APPLYING THE CHASSIS BLACK, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of those various paint markings were covered up and EVERYTHING was black. The last time I toured the St. Louis plant (1981 during the NCRS Natls), the process was not a lot different from what was done on the 1954 models. VERY primitive (by 1981 standards).

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, bottom line, CORRECT would be everything is black with very little or no paint markings showing. But, a lot of the NCRS restoration fanatics like for all those various paint markings to be showing. The entire chassis of my 56 is gloss black Imron and chrome. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Polishing all that chrome is a major nightmare bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last time I went through this polishing nightmare was 2010 for the SACC convention in Bowling Green.
The car was on stands for a week, I pulled everything off the frame, disassembled it, polished each piece, put it all back together and drove it to Bowling Green. When I got on the east side of Okla City, it started raining and rained all the way to the front door of the Holiday Inn in Bowling Green. The wipers worked sporadically and there was 2in water in the floor. I took a BIG stack of towels (for cleaning) and everyone of them was soaking wet!! (you can imagine what my posishing efforts looked like!)

Rearend going back together.

The day before leaving.

The day after I got there, the sun came out!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:00 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Thanks for the information Tom that makes sense . That was no doubt an interesting trip to Bowling Green with all the rain plus pulling your trailer . I have to admit that row of C1's sure looks good though . I enjoy going to the museum and corvette plant and I'd love to get on the track there for a couple laps someday . By the way the T10 transmission parts and kit should be here tomorrow from Larry at D&L he a great guy . I gave him a list of the items I needed and what he didn't have new ( collar , front yoke ) he dug up good used parts to complete my build , he even sent the bolts I was missing . Anyway suspension and running gear almost done .... new brakes , wheel cylinders , brake lines , wheel bearings , coils springs , rear springs and hangers , fuel lines , new posi , new u-bolts and the rear end installed . Machine shop called and the 57 283 245 hp engine is ready . A couple more days and Lords will I'll have it back on it's wheels and on the ground then its back to the body . Just glad to be this far .
Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The frame was an asphalt type paint - a semi flat and came from an outside manufacturer. The complete front end assy was put together and painted as one complete big assembly, so it would have a different sheen to it vs the frame - the sway bar end links per the JM have no paint on them (or very little overspray) The rear end was also assembled at once and was painted as an assembly - it is very possible it would have a different sheen than the front end and the frame. That is how they would put together as assemblies and then painted - then installed on the frame as a already painted assembly. There are good photos of an assembled front end and rear end going into a painted frame in Nolans books. If your transmission is a cast powerglide it would have been black

Last edited by csherman; 02-27-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:54 PM
nrbc7
Racer

Thanks csherman got you reply just before I started assembly on transmission already painted it cast color but now it will get a coat of semi flat black
The following users liked this post:
csherman (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Check out Nolans books for good assy line photos and a copy of the NRCS Judging manual

Get notified of new replies

To Color questions engine ,trans,rear end,undercarriage ,57 corvette

Quick Reply: Color questions engine ,trans,rear end,undercarriage ,57 corvette