C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What did you do to your C2 today.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 04:25 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Jack, did you use a real camera or a phone camera for your pics?

Lou
Old 04-28-2018, 05:31 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
Jack, did you use a real camera or a phone camera for your pics?

Lou
Hi Lou, the SF pictures I used a quality camera, phone most others.

Jack
Old 04-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Well, I didn't get to drive mine to the coast, but I acquired some side exhaust covers, a correct L76 thermostat housing, and about $700 of parts from a famous and supporting vendor, so I got that going for me.

Plus I got to see a gorgeous '65 396 vert in top shape, plus 3(!) 65/66 C2s with factory AC being preserved - in particular a '65 L76 factory AC car frame off that you could eat off of it was so tidy. I swear it looked like a one-day old car (location and owner to remain anonymous).

All in all a great Corvette day, even if I didn't drive it.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 AM
Tapestry
Search Function Forgetter
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my rusted out battery tray.

“Oh, replacing a battery tray in a ‘66 vette will be easy! It’s only 4 bolts and there’s nothing technical about it. Easy peesy”
-Somebody who has never replaced the battery tray in a ‘66 corvette

There are only 4 bolts...but to get to those 4 bolts you have to dissassemble the entire car. Should have just done a frame off while I was in there.

And there aren’t 4 bolts...not anymore. I gave up putting the 4th in there after trying to maze my arm around to get the 4th one in there.

Anywho....I ended the day just absolutely frustrated and as this was the first thing I’ve done to my new car, I felt it was like a club hazing style initiation.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:14 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapestry
I replaced my rusted out battery tray.

“Oh, replacing a battery tray in a ‘66 vette will be easy! It’s only 4 bolts and there’s nothing technical about it. Easy peesy”
-Somebody who has never replaced the battery tray in a ‘66 corvette

There are only 4 bolts...but to get to those 4 bolts you have to dissassemble the entire car. Should have just done a frame off while I was in there.

And there aren’t 4 bolts...not anymore. I gave up putting the 4th in there after trying to maze my arm around to get the 4th one in there.

Anywho....I ended the day just absolutely frustrated and as this was the first thing I’ve done to my new car, I felt it was like a club hazing style initiation.
That was practice for when you change the spark plugs
Old 04-29-2018, 12:01 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by solidaxel
That was practice for when you change the spark plugs
...on an A/C car
Old 04-29-2018, 03:19 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Originally Posted by SW Vette
...on an A/C car
Amen to that!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:32 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Added a second cable stop to the hood latch cables of my 67. This was recommended by one of the regulars here, I think DZVette. Now I'll never (re)experience the sickening feeling of pulling the hood latch handle and have nothing happen, or just have one side pop up. The second stops don't match the originals in style, but they are what I had on hand.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:25 PM
orlandjoe
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Default replaced alternator

installed a PowerMaster 100 amp alternator. internal regulator type.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Tapestry
Support Corvetteforum!

Finished the process of restoring my manifolds using this proceedure

Before/After

Then I started the process of replacing the shocks. The paperwork with the car had a warrantee card for sears shocks however when I pulled the first one out of the front this original slid out.

I’ve heard tell of people who rebuild these things. I think I’ll look a bit into that.

ON THAT NOTE:
I was putting in the new shocks (Bilstein HDs)..And even with the top nut screwed all the way in, there is still an inch of space between the the bottom of the shock and where is needs to bolt. It there a trick to compress it in to fit? Am I making a giant rookie mistake in something I foolishly thought would slide in and bolt on? Please advise.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:10 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Not sure what the installation problem is from your description. The shocks should simply bolt on. The nut at the top should not influence how far the shock extends to the lower mount. There are lots of Youtube videos showing how to do this.

Lou

Finished the process of restoring my manifolds using this proceedure

Before/After

Then I started the process of replacing the shocks. The paperwork with the car had a warrantee card for sears shocks however when I pulled the first one out of the front this original slid out.

I’ve heard tell of people who rebuild these things. I think I’ll look a bit into that.

ON THAT NOTE:
I was putting in the new shocks (Bilstein HDs)..And even with the top nut screwed all the way in, there is still an inch of space between the the bottom of the shock and where is needs to bolt. It there a trick to compress it in to fit? Am I making a giant rookie mistake in something I foolishly thought would slide in and bolt on? Please advise.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Tapestry
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LouieM
Not sure what the installation problem is from your description. The shocks should simply bolt on. The nut at the top should not influence how far the shock extends to the lower mount. There are lots of Youtube videos showing how to do this.

Lou
This is the space between the mounting points. Everything points to them being the correct shock for my car, but they sure don’t seem to fit.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:15 PM
LouieM
Race Director

This is the space between the mounting points. Everything points to them being the correct shock for my car, but they sure don’t seem to fit.
Here's a pic of the top of the left-hand Bilstein HD on my 67. If the tops of your shocks stick up something like this, but the bottoms are as you show, then I'd say you have the wrong shocks.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:23 PM
L72copo
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts

They will work fine. Draw them up with longer bolts then replace, one bolt at a time, with the correct shorter bolts.

Don Stowers

Last edited by L72copo; 06-15-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Originally Posted by L72copo
They will work fine. Drawn them up with longer bolts then replace, one bolt at a time, with the correct shorter bolts.

Don Stowers
I’m with Don. I did that with my Bilsteins and it worked great.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Oops, I assumed that the shock had already been compressed as far as possible. Should fit now.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C2 today.