C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Rear drum frozen

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:02 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Rear drum frozen

My car has been sitting for almost two years () and I noticed that all of a sudden I can't turn the pass side rear wheel. I also can't remove the drum. I smacked it with a hammer and nothing.

I also backed off the adjuster - still won't come off.

What now?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken

I smacked it with a hammer and nothing.

What now?
Smack it on the corner where the friction surface rolls over toward the lugs.

Put a pry between the backing plate and drum and then smack the drum 180* from the pry.

You'll have to treat that brake drum like a red headed step child but you don't have to destroy it to get it off.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:29 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by MikeM
Smack it on the corner where the friction surface rolls over toward the lugs.

Put a pry between the backing plate and drum and then smack the drum 180* from the pry.

You'll have to treat that brake drum like a red headed step child but you don't have to destroy it to get it off.
Thx. I figured more hammering was in order. I'm guessing some moisture got in there and then sat.

The corner where the friction surface rolls over towards the lugs? Not sure what you mean.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:48 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 682 Posts

Probably means the outer edge of the drum. You gotta shock the shoe so it turns loose. Hit on the front edge and back edge till you feel one or both loosen.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Not sure what you mean.
Hit it on the corner. Not on a flat spot.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:57 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default stuck wheel

Hit it on the corner. Not on a flat spot.

if other suggestions fail, try a torch. sometimes a little heat in the suspected areas will break things loose.
phil
Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

If it rotates, and won't break loose from the axle, then ox-acy heat just inboard around the lug nut holes area will expand it away from the axle.

If is loose at the axle, but it being caught by a ridge on the drum, loosen the shoes all the way, then pry away.

Good luck,
Plasticman
Old 02-27-2017, 10:19 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Before you try the crazy stuff and suggestions, make sure your parking brake on one side isn't hung up and locking it up!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:36 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Before you try the crazy stuff and suggestions, make sure your parking brake on one side isn't hung up and locking it up!
Ha! Yes I disconnected it. I though for sure that's what it was.

I'll smack that sucker tomorrow. I will win this battle. I have hammers. Big hammers.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Ha! Yes I disconnected it. I though for sure that's what it was.

I'll smack that sucker tomorrow. I will win this battle. I have hammers. Big hammers.
Regarding hammers:
The bigger-the better

Regarding other "issues"
The tighter the sweater!
Couldn't resist

Good luck on your endeavor.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:21 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Pete,
I like to smack the flat area around the axle, if it moves at all then the stuck area could be the brake shoes sticking. In that case hit around the edge of the drum.
Put a few lug nuts on and use a pry bar to turn the drum and hopefully break it loose.
Bruce B
Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
Pete,
I like to smack the flat area around the axle, if it moves at all then the stuck area could be the brake shoes sticking. In that case hit around the edge of the drum.
Put a few lug nuts on and use a pry bar to turn the drum and hopefully break it loose.
Bruce B
This^^^ That way, you won't break a drum. Wailing on the lip is a very bad idea. But the flat part against the axle flange? Not an issue. You may well have moisture contaminated linings, as well.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I hope nobody thought I suggested hitting the drum on the inboard edge of the drum.

Disconnecting the parking brake cable doesn't ensure the parking brakes aren't holding the drum. If the car was parked with the parking brake on and the cable froze in the housing and didn't release, it could still be holding. Pull on the cable and see if it'll move.

Also be advised that prying too hard between the drum and backing plate can warp/spring either one of them so just a little tension with the pry and more hammer is best.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by GTOguy
This^^^ That way, you won't break a drum. Wailing on the lip is a very bad idea. But the flat part against the axle flange? Not an issue. You may well have moisture contaminated linings, as well.
Wailing on the flat part of the axle flange ain't doing the wheel bearings any good..........ever hear of brinelling?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 03-01-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:09 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Wailing on the flat part of the axle flange ain't doing the wheel bearings any good..........ever hear of brinelling?

Plasticman

I don't see a lot of difference between smacking the end of the axle with a hammer to jar the brake drum or using a slide hammer on an axle shaft to pull the axle shaft/bearing out of the housing
The following users liked this post:
GTOguy (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:50 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

When a drum is stuck like that are there any delicate methods of removal?
I have small stuff but is there a screw type wheel puller or sliding slammer that is large enough?
My experience has been to hit it like you hate it and if needed deal with the aftermath.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
Pete,
Bruce B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling

Plasticman
Yep. And have had it happen with cars being flatbed towed, bouncing up and down on the suspension with the wheels not turning. Have broken hundreds/thousands of stuck drums loose this way in industry over the past 35+ years with zero damage. YMMV........

Get notified of new replies

To Rear drum frozen

Old 03-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

I don't see a lot of difference between smacking the end of the axle with a hammer to jar the brake drum or using a slide hammer on an axle shaft to pull the axle shaft/bearing out of the housing
Don't know about you, but if it is that stubborn, I replace the bearing when I pull an axle................not worth it to me to take a chance with a bearing that has been in there that long.

A smack with a hammer is still chancing damage to a bearing. And the more smacks and the bigger the hammer, the bigger chance.

A torch to the inboard area of the drum (if it is rusted / seized to the flange) has always worked for me.

Plasticman
Old 03-01-2017, 05:56 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Don't know about you, but if it is that stubborn, I replace the bearing when I pull an axle................not worth it to me to take a chance with a bearing that has been in there that long.

Plasticman
I can assure you, I am enough of a cheap skate that any repair method I use does not result in damaged parts in my experiences. Of course, you can never be too careful, can you?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My car has been sitting for almost two years () and I noticed that all of a sudden I can't turn the pass side rear wheel. I also can't remove the drum. I smacked it with a hammer and nothing.

What now?
"Call me Snake Ok Plisken listen up"

For whats it worth I used a rubber mallet beating the hell out of the drum and move the drum forward to brake up a locked up drum on my 1963..Rust fell to the ground and loosen it up..
My drum was recently painted and there was a pretty layers of yellow, orange, and red before it was stripped and painted black......."Somebody was smoking something and got creative with painting the drum brakes over the years before I had it......"Far out man... Far out colors...man"

I seen some weird sheit done to Corvettes over the years.. My brothers 1964 was painted purple and had the front turn lights (shaved and bondo) also bumpers removed the front of the car was painted to resemble a angry Mako Shark .....WTH was this guy thinking in the 70's who painted my brothers old Vette?

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 03-01-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] Rear drum frozen