C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

dash lighting Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default dash lighting Q

well I powered up my dash harness, and my dash lights came on without pulling the headlight switch out?!
I only played with it for a min this am before work. so I am going to look closer tonight. but I think my headlight switch may be bad? I powered it up at the acc fuse, and then at the lamp fuse and both times the dash lite up.
so bottom line here guys, do you think my switch is bad? let me know what you think..thanks troy
Old 02-28-2017, 12:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Rotate your **** to the left
Old 02-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Rotate your **** to the left
Huh?

The OP indicated that he was testing the dash harness at the fuse block which, I believe, would have power continually.

How would turning the switch **** enter the picture? Doesn't he need to run the harness through the "switch" to test it and the harness?

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 02-28-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:02 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Rotating the **** wouldn't turn the dash lights on anyway, just the courtesy lights
Old 02-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Rotating the **** wouldn't turn the dash lights on anyway, just the courtesy lights
Exatamudo!

Gary
Old 02-28-2017, 01:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by 20round
well I powered up my dash harness, and my dash lights came on without pulling the headlight switch out?!
I only played with it for a min this am before work. so I am going to look closer tonight. but I think my headlight switch may be bad? I powered it up at the acc fuse, and then at the lamp fuse and both times the dash lite up.
so bottom line here guys, do you think my switch is bad? let me know what you think..thanks troy
You may or may not have a problem. It can't be diagnosed with the information you've given. At what point in the harness are you connecting the power? If you're putting 12v at any point in the dash light circuit and have a ground connected the lights will light. I don't know from your description if you have the switch in the circuit or not. Put up some pictures and explain where your applying power. If you connect to either side of the "inst lamp" fuse in the fuse box, you should only have power when the head lamp switch is pulled to either the first or second position and never when the switch is in the off position. I would be very surprised if you had a bad switch causing the lights to come on, it usually would fail in the other direction where they didn't come on when they should. From your description, it sounds like you are just connecting power to the dash lamps, which will cause them to come on all the time it's connected.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You may or may not have a problem. It can't be diagnosed with the information you've given. At what point in the harness are you connecting the power? If you're putting 12v at any point in the dash light circuit and have a ground connected the lights will light. I don't know from your description if you have the switch in the circuit or not. Put up some pictures and explain where your applying power. If you connect to either side of the "inst lamp" fuse in the fuse box, you should only have power when the head lamp switch is pulled to either the first or second position and never when the switch is in the off position. I would be very surprised if you had a bad switch causing the lights to come on, it usually would fail in the other direction where they didn't come on when they should. From your description, it sounds like you are just connecting power to the dash lamps, which will cause them to come on all the time it's connected.

That's exactly what I was referring to in my first post.

Gary
Old 02-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Huh?

The OP indicated that he was testing the dash harness at the fuse block which, I believe, would have power continually.
T
How would turning the switch **** enter the picture? Doesn't he need to run the harness through the "switch" to test it and the harness?

Gary
Miss understood the question on how it was worded.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:44 PM
20round
Drifting

ok guys, I got yaa! I will post pics when I get home from work.. but I am 99% positive I put power to the proper spot. when I rotated the **** nothing changed. when I pulled it half out and all the way out nothing changed. I had the housing grounded too the battery at the ground tang in the dash. soooo......we will see in a few hours..thanks all troy
Old 02-28-2017, 09:05 PM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Huh?

Gary
im trying to load a video. but it will not allow me.. i will keep trying to figure it out
Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 PM
20round
Drifting

ok i tried loading a video but it would not go. so i guess i will try and tell all what i did.
first i placed a fuse in the dash lamp spot
grounded the housing
applied 12v to fuse end of the lamp fuse
and the lights come on.

then i apply 12v to acc, lights come on
apply 12v to lp the lights come on
while 12v is on any of these feeds, i turn and pull the headlight switch with no changes. the lights stay on unchanged.
i am still going to post pics to show.

Get notified of new replies

To dash lighting Q

Quick Reply: dash lighting Q