C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is this the correct spring for '65 telescopic horn button? Pic.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Is this the correct spring for '65 telescopic horn button? Pic.

1 " horn button spring
1965 with telescopic steering column.

Intermittent and sticking horn button. After searching and reading many threads I installed a double insulating gasket in the horn button for more contact clearance. But when I tighten the horn button screw closest to the above spring the horn will beep nonstop. I think maybe the spring is putting too much pressure on the back of the horn button causing it to beep. I know the spring has to make contact with the back of the horn button. I have looked in all my books for a spring measurement or picture, but cannot find any. Is the above spring correct for a 65 with telescopic steering.

Last edited by DSR; 02-28-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DSR
Intermittent and sticking horn button... Is the above spring correct for a 65 with telescopic steering.
Your spring appears to be the same as mine (66 telescopic). I had a problem with the horn button being too sensitive, contacting too quickly or sometimes just with turning the steering wheel. On researching this it appears some columns mount the horn contact base just a little too close making the button too close. One solution is to shim the contact base out a bit, CC and other vendors sell these shims to do that. I installed 2 shims under my horn contact base and it solved the problem, maybe this will help you. Photos of shims below

Name:  IMG_1360.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  3.77 MB
Old 02-28-2017, 03:24 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Velox
Your spring appears to be the same as mine (66 telescopic). I had a problem with the horn button being too sensitive, contacting too quickly or sometimes just with turning the steering wheel. On researching this it appears some columns mount the horn contact base just a little too close making the button too close. One solution is to shim the contact base out a bit, CC and other vendors sell these shims to do that. I installed 2 shims under my horn contact base and it solved the problem, maybe this will help you. Photos of shims below

Attachment 48068120
Yes that sounds like that might work. I seen those shims in the catalog but didn't realize what they were for. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this the correct spring for '65 telescopic horn button? Pic.

Quick Reply: Is this the correct spring for '65 telescopic horn button? Pic.