C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Coil / Ignition Question...Car Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 PM
1rad55
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Coil / Ignition Question...Car Won't Start!

I'm having a problem with my 66 Resto Mod not starting! My first question is with the key is turned on is the positive post on the coil suppose to be hot (Mine isn't)?
Is the positive coil wire set up with a resistor in line or is it tied to one of the glass fuses?

History..I have a MSD 6201 digital iginition box/ MSD Master Blaster 3 coil and MSD 8361 magnetic trigger Distributor. All components are new within the last 10 months. The car was at a paint/body shop for 8 of those months and around the 7th month the car wouldn't start anymore....who knows what took place at the body shop!!!! Anyway, I got the car home now and I'm trying to trouble shoot the problem. Before I go any farther, I need to confirm the coil wire questions. Thanks in advance for input to my questions!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:50 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

So nothing was changed is what you are saying!

I bet something was moved! The ignition goes direct to the coil to pass the 12V and I don't run a resistor because of my setup, but I have seen those slip in the little square bracket and a post grounds out, but that could fry and sizzle that wire (fire)! Any burned evidence visible on the loom! Fuses basically distribute you 12V, but the MSD power was probably connected up direct to 12V at the fuse block is what most people do! Some feed a lead from the coil post! I have seen all kinds of ways guys feed the 12V for the MSD! The style of mag distributor has no bearing on loss of 12V!

This has got to be something easy! A disconnection or corroded or loose connection! A wire connection got moved!

I would disconnect the battery and test the continuity from the ignition switch wire to the ballast resistor and to the coil to see if it zeros on the meter! Then trace the hot lead from the MSD to where it gets its 12V

Clean your battery clamps and reconnect to the battery! I have seen corrosion on the posts and the battery is just not getting connection! It may be as simple as loosen the battery clamp cable and twist it and tighten it!

I have also seen guys feed all kinds of stuff off of the ignition wire (alarms, fog lights, interior do-dads, etc! I have always direct wired my ignitions even on the C3 that feeds all kinds of stock stuff before the coil connection! So if I ever loose something somewhere, the car can still be started and ran, that be isolated from the entire rest of the electrical!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-28-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Coil / Ignition Question...Car Won't Start!