C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Long Tube Headers - 65 Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:14 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
You may want to consider Brzezinski ported manifolds. I just put a set on my 66 with vette Packs side exhaust and the difference was huge. I had them cermanic coated and they look awesome. I also used 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent pipe to the vette packs. I have the Steeroids and clearance is a non issue. Check my prior posts for some videos.
One thing to keep in mind is that in terms of just flow, ported 2.5" rams horn manifolds are pretty good. Don't bother replacing those with "shorty" headers because there's little to be gained.

The only way to improve on ported 2.5" rams horns is to install full long-tube headers with primary tubes of at least 30". This can provide the additional benefit of the pressure wave tuning that makes long tube headers unique.

Even so, putting mufflers on long tube headers (adding back pressure) tends to partially defeat the benefits of pressure wave tuning.

I recently did some dyno testing on a 383 where I compared headers-with-mufflers to 2.5" rams-horns-with mufflers. There was not much difference below 3800 RPM (maybe 10 HP), but the difference was 28 HP at 5500 rpm.

So, long tube headers do provide a benefit, but with mufflers the difference isn't as much as some people think.
The following users liked this post:
ganshert (03-24-2017)

Quick Reply: [C2] Long Tube Headers - 65 Convertable