C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Help me stay motivated. Project 64 Redux

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts

Greetings from Snake,
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
TJefferson2020 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Snake fighting a similar fight.
One part at a time when you feel up to it and the body actually responds
dont get overwhelmed or depressed its easy to go there
You know what it does for your head turning that key you will get there make it part of your getting well!
TJefferson2020 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I staggered out to the garage today after a nine hour work day.

Finished headlight install. Had to make some adjustments in the bucket alignment and finally got my new y stops. Detroit Speed kit installed!

Also installed door handles and deck lid trim.

Tomorrow some glass repair for upper Grill mounting tabs and hopefully cluster install if I can find my damn switch bezel tool.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:12 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

There ya go!
Old 03-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

It all takes time and if you are not in a hurry and work on the car when you want to and not when you have to it makes it more fun to build. Except for the last 6 weeks we for the most part only worked on my 54 Motorama Car on Sundays and that took about 4 years. But if you figure it up that is only about 7 months straight time. Really that is not to bad for what all we did to it.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:25 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Found bezel tool. Waiting on LEDs for cluster.

Installed headlight bulbs and bezels. Decided to drop front bumper and do over. Too hard to work on the grill with bumper in place. Spent a lot of time cleaning up workspace.

Stupid DS kit not working right.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I've been putting my car back together after a front end accident. It's been 1 1/2 years thanks to a body/paint guy that has no integrity. It took him a year to fix and paint it. The job sucked. Poor glass work, runs, dirt, poor coverage windshield leaked like sieve after he took it out and put it back. I had him repaint and repair the amateur work. I got it back 6 months later and it's no better. I've been pissin' and moaning about it to my friends for a year. I'm just a big pansy compared to your ordeal! Keep at it. You will get it done. Probably before me!

Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 03-18-2017 at 08:32 PM.
TJefferson2020 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sky65
I've been putting my car back together after a front end accident. It's been 1 1/2 years thanks to a body/paint guy that has no integrity. It took him a year to fix and paint it. The job sucked. Poor glass work, runs, dirt, poor coverage windshield leaked like sieve after he took it out and put it back. I had him repaint and repair the amateur work. I got it back 6 months later and it's no better. I've been pissin' and moaning about it to my friends for a year. I'm just a big pansy compared to your ordeal! Keep at it. You will get it done. Probably before me!

Tom
That blows. Mine took nine months in paint and body but came out amazing. I need to do the windshield too.

I can't decide if wrenching relaxes me or pisses me off.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:29 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
That blows. Mine took nine months in paint and body but came out amazing. I need to do the windshield too.

I can't decide if wrenching relaxes me or pisses me off.
Hahaha. Yeah. Wrenching is good for me when I keep focused on what I am doing. It's only when I think about all my work and all the money in the car and the paint job is bad that it gets me. I can't afford to have it repainted. I just have to live with it. Anyone know where I can get some get hand grenades on the DL?

But....It's still just a car. In the big picture it's just a freckle on the Mona Lisa. If you can hang in so can I.

Tom
Old 03-18-2017, 09:53 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Hahaha. Yeah. Wrenching is good for me when I keep focused on what I am doing. It's only when I think about all my work and all the money in the car and the paint job is bad that it gets me. I can't afford to have it repainted. I just have to live with it. Anyone know where I can get some get hand grenades on the DL?

But....It's still just a car. In the big picture it's just a freckle on the Mona Lisa. If you can hang in so can I.

Tom
I did my paint the first time myself. It was never right and I drove it like that for a decade. This is actually the first "real" paint job I've ever had.

For me, I'm not a big perfectionist. I just want a tight clean driver. I've kept this car through thick and thin and did all the work myself.

When my wife had cancer, it kept me sane (during the first build). My cousin (a GM master mechanic) helped me with the chassis replacement and lots of other engineering (he was an old doorslammer racer). He died a week after completing the project from a brain tumor.

When the insurance company cancelled my wife's policy retroactively, we lost everything we owned (in 2002-2003). The car was in a million pieces so the court let me keep it. Wife recovered.

Lost everything else in bankruptcy. Paid off medical bills for over ten years. Kept working on the car until it was done. A little here and a Little there.

It's really the only thing I own that has any meaning to me. It will be the last car I build.

I'm saving money for side exhaust. That will be my apex of excitement to have the factory side pipes.

I'm hitting every detail that was missed or not up to my standards on the first build.

It will be pristine. For a frankenvette.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:55 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Tom
Post pics? It can't be that bad. Let us give you an objective look
Old 03-19-2017, 04:11 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Set back today. Had to remove DS headlight motor kit and exchange it. Waste of precious time.

Will turn my attention to buttoning down the interior (just small details left and installing rear bumpers.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Post pics? It can't be that bad. Let us give you an objective look
I may post a couple. They are in my wife's SLR camera. I am a bit OCD and can see many things many people will not. I admit to that. I expected a couple things here and there but it more than that. And certainly more than a Corvette body and paint specialty guy should have. When my wife started pointing things out to me I knew it is a below standard repair. But this is your thread and I don't want to side track it any more than I already have. So lets move on.

So the headlight motor was blowing the fuse? Not good. Direct Speed seems like a good company. I expect they will make it good.

What is left on the interior?

Tom
Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

I may post a couple. They are in my wife's SLR camera. I am a bit OCD and can see many things many people will not. I admit to that. I expected a couple things here and there but it more than that. And certainly more than a Corvette body and paint specialty guy should have. When my wife started pointing things out to me I knew it is a below standard repair. But this is your thread and I don't want to side track it any more than I already have. So lets move on.

So the headlight motor was blowing the fuse? Not good. Direct Speed seems like a good company. I expect they will make it good.

What is left on the interior?

Tom
Bought it from Summit. Exchanging it.

Interior:

Install seats (just bolt them down)
Install cluster (waiting on LEDS)
Radio panels attach
Kick carpets and trim
Door panels install (after assembling door guts)

Big things freaking me out are:

Windshield install
Vent window weatherstripping and reinstall
Install door felts with thin chrome strips and tiny screws or some ****

Door guts are also hard to remember how they go back together. I have photos somewhere but they suck. Because: inside damn door.

If I could crawl in the door, it would be easier.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Bought it from Summit. Exchanging it.

Interior:

Install seats (just bolt them down)
Install cluster (waiting on LEDS)
Radio panels attach
Kick carpets and trim
Door panels install (after assembling door guts)

Big things freaking me out are:

Windshield install
Vent window weatherstripping and reinstall
Install door felts with thin chrome strips and tiny screws or some ****

Door guts are also hard to remember how they go back together. I have photos somewhere but they suck. Because: inside damn door.

If I could crawl in the door, it would be easier.
Wow. That looks like my list! I have a couple of suspension things to finish first then its on to a few of wiring details to finish up. I too have to install the windshield. Then there is the interior install. All my window stuff is in. I Dynamated the floor and firewall already but I have to put some carpet padding in and the carpet. I removed my center console and modified the tunnel. I am going to use carpet only, no console. So I have to cut and fit the tunnel carpet. I'm getting tired just writing about it!

Tom

Quick Reply: [C2] Help me stay motivated. Project 64 Redux