C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Help me stay motivated. Project 64 Redux

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:12 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Help me stay motivated. Project 64 Redux

Some of you know my car's history and some probably don't. Hell I don't remember half of it and I did all the work. Every bolt. Every washer. Interior, paint, electrical. All of it.

The car first came to me at a swap meet. 1964 Convertible.

It was "blue" had tuck and roll (Si' senior) and a frame that was going to come apart at the kick ups. I was dumb about midyears. I bought it for $12K.

I wondered why it has so much oversteer. A frame hanging by threads will do that. The seller claimed it had an original 1970 LT1 (390 HP, solid lifter) motor. What did I know. I doubted it but it look like the real deal. It also ran like **** (which would be consistent with an engine running pump gas with points at 11.5:1 compression).

Within four days, the engine bay wiring harness went up in smoke. (no fire...). This prompted me to remove every wire in the car. And while I was there, remove the body.

Then, I disassembled the entire car.

18 months later, it sat on a new chassis with pretty much new everything else too. Removed 8 paint jobs. New paint and renewed curves and high points on body. Added power disk brakes and Painless Wiring system.

Turned out the motor was a real LT1 - All the right parts and numbers. Had it decked for the rebuild and the machine shop shaved off the block numbers. WTF.

Drove it for 5 years. Wiped cam. Tired of adjusting lifters. Rebuilt it with hydraulic and roller everything. Bored .030. Just under 400 HP at the flywheel.

Drove it for 6 more years. Then, somebody sideswiped it and ran. At the cancer center. During my treatment. #$%@#$%@!

Hagerty pops for a repaint. OK, Hagerty paid for half a repaint. I got lucky and found a fiberglass and paint guru that took pity on me. Our deal - I do all the mechanical. I keep my greasy hands off the body.

That was 12 months ago. Holy ****, the car is beautiful. I pulled the entire interior, windshield, every piece of trim, all of it.

Replaced all the weatherstripping. Shimmed the body and cleaned up the gaps. (added material). Here's a list of what I'm calling

"Phase Two: All The **** I Didn't Do Right The First Time".

Done:
  • Paint and Body work (20 repair spots)
  • Polished every inch of chrome and stainless trim (full removal)
  • Re-stretched seat covers
  • Replaced interior insulation
  • Cleaned and dyed carpet (it was perfect except for sun fade)
  • Restored dash pads (looks unbelievable)
  • Completely disassembled and rebuilt the radio
  • Refinished the cluster
  • Finally got the clutch to ride at the right height (long story)
  • Completely disassembled door guts, windows and vent windows
  • Installed Detroit Steel headlight kit
  • Total rebuild of headlight buckets and mounts
  • Removed Hooker headers and cheapo side pipes (thank god)
  • New taillight housings and LED lamps
  • New emblems
  • New gas cap (so purty - + ten horses easy)
  • Fixed rear dome light (never worked)
  • Rebuilt glove box
  • Restored console (the whole nine yards including ash tray
  • Rebuilt heater ducting (most was missing)
  • Painted door pockets
  • Installed new side mirror
  • Installed shorty headers (for new side exhaust
  • Filled holes in rear valence and painted
  • Polished and cleaned grill

Here's what needs to be done:
  • Final install bumpers and grill
  • Finish Detroit Steel install (new motors broke one of my Y stops)
  • Replace shift boot retainer (under body - above trans)
  • Rebuild doors - every damn part. New regulators, slides, felts, weatherstripping - all of it.
  • New door panels (custom - I refuse to drop $2K on door panels for a restomod)
  • Factory side exhaust
  • Install cluster and steering column
  • Replace front anti-sway bushings
  • New tires - taller and softer
  • Re-route master cylinder lines (did lousy job the first time)
  • Install windshield and trim
  • New trip strip on deck lid
  • Reinstall seat belts
  • Replace clutch throw out bearing (drop trans - ugh)
  • Install windshield squirters, hoses and reservoir (had pump and motor rebuilt the first time - never bothered to install the squirters!)

Then, WE DRIVE

I'm fighting health problems so it's been hard to stay motivated. But I am knocking out assemblies. Just prepped the cluster to go back in (had to hook up all the gauges (custom wiring system - cluster goes in and then has a big plug for all electrical connections.

It's going to be a very nice restomod. Very stock looking. Street pounding G-machine type of build. (Already has Koni suspension, hard steering joint, anti-sway, glass rear spring, chassis reinforcements).

Seriously can't wait to order side pipes. Saving my pennies. I've wanted them from the day I bought the car. I had to buy generic pipes the first time around (since I did every damn other thing on the car)

Cliffs:

Car frame off 12 years ago.
Unknown douche hits car and runs
Repaint and "while we're at it" syndrome
Really freaking nice car hitting road this summer. I hope.
Old and tired.

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 03-11-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:23 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Keep after it amigo! I believe I have read some parts of our journey before! Would love to see some photos from the journey!

benton
Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

This sounds very familiar to me .... After 3 years of thrilled ownership on my '66 Coupe it was sideswiped at my work, insurance paid for the repairs including a partial repaint. But nobody's gonna match that color ... Good time for a complete repaint. And you're not going to put those ratty-*** bumpers back on without rechroming ... Remember those NOS emblems that you bought ? ... I would much rather have leather seats ... But that driver's side adjuster always seems to hang up ... You can get Michelin X Radials with a Goldline ? ... These gauges seems dull, and who knows if they're accurate ? ... Ya know, interior insulation has come a long way since 1966 ... Those clutch pedals break ? ... While it's in primer this would be a good time to go through the suspension ... I did spend 30 bucks on that fuel door restoration thingie ...

Ray
Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Keep after it amigo! I believe I have read some parts of our journey before! Would love to see some photos from the journey!

benton
Will do. Not tonight. But will update thread with pics and progress.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

All 3 posters in the thread had their classic car hit. Many other members don't know how lucky they are!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 432 Posts

Where's the pics! Gotta show off your awesome sounding car. Stick with it man, you are inspiring me as well.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:52 AM
63 fuellie
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

1 day at a time-You have the inspiration or you never would have got this far. Health issues change everything and no one knows what your going through but you. I just try to get back to normal every day and the reality is that its a new normal and I guess that's ok. We are all car guys so working on our cars is what we do. The fact that you drove your car to your cancer treatment says it all. NO SURRENDER. God bless you and keep up the fight.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:42 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

You are already doing the thing that most helps me during a long project - make a To Do List. Then I try to work on something on the list every day. Some days I feel energetic and take on a big task. Other days I start with something easy and later discover four hours have passed and I've done a lot more than I thought I would. When the list of accomplishments starts to get long (like yours) and the To Do List starts getting short, the desire to get it over with kicks in. It seems to me you are at that point. ... Good luck in the finish run.

Last edited by kellsdad; 03-12-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sounds like you have done great things to that car. Now go run up some miles on it!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
Some of you know my car's history and some probably don't. Hell I don't remember half of it and I did all the work. Every bolt. Every washer. Interior, paint, electrical. All of it.

Cliffs:
Car frame off 12 years ago.
Unknown douche hits car and runs
Repaint and "while we're at it" syndrome
Really freaking nice car hitting road this summer. I hope.
Old and tired.
Wastes too much time writing in corvette blogs
The following users liked this post:
TJefferson2020 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:45 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

A true hobbist gear head. Can relate to the never ending issues. Lucky for myself I have other hobbies to fill in when the " I've had it for today " syndrome kicks in. Attention spans for older citizens , especially hampered with heath issues , temporarily pull the plug on our driven missions. ( I do metal art and machine building )
Not having to lock in on a specific completion period and enjoying the accomplishments to date enhance your focus. Life is a journey, not a race. Read, enjoy, adapt, inquire, holding on to the positives. Many of us can relate and enjoy your experiences. Stay safe.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:45 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

There is a matching guitar.

Shot of restored dash and new insulation

Right out of the booth

Repairs on hood

Sideswipe damage

Nice ***!

Note: I don't have cancer. I have Crohn's Disease and a form of incurable Leukemia. 9 years of chemo so far. (they use cancer drugs to keep my disease in check)

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 03-12-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:25 AM
old_vette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Matching Fender

Nice Stratocaster!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Hang in there bud!

It looks like its going to be awesome when finished.

You got any Corvette buddies nearby? Or a club? Seeing other people's moving/running cars always helped me through the lows (and there are few other C1/C2s where I am stationed).

for the record, I don't think posting on Vette blogs is a waste of time... it keeps you connected to the brotherhood. Who else will better understand your Vette Journey than those who have also taken the path?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 AM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by Revfan
Hang in there bud!

It looks like its going to be awesome when finished.

You got any Corvette buddies nearby? Or a club? Seeing other people's moving/running cars always helped me through the lows (and there are few other C1/C2s where I am stationed).

for the record, I don't think posting on Vette blogs is a waste of time... it keeps you connected to the brotherhood. Who else will better understand your Vette Journey than those who have also taken the path?
I'd like to find some in Austin to tag team some of the assembly. It really helps me get things done. I hate starting a process and then stopping because of fatigue.

Like pulling the transmission.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 AM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Ttt - more pics coming today.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 783 Likes on 535 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What no port ? I can relate, they just took my port out 2 weeks ago. Exactly 1 year ago today I finished my cancer treatment. I had bought a c-3 2 mos before I was diagnosed. Had to do a body off , It's going to be a race car. But I used the car to keep me sane during treatment as I had little strength and would go out and work on the car for a couple hrs each day (when I could). When it's done I'm going to name it ..."Therapy" . Just keep picking away at it bits at a time, It'll happen and when it does you will have a grin a mile wide . Hang in there !

Get notified of new replies

To Help me stay motivated. Project 64 Redux

Old 03-14-2017, 10:44 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
What no port ? I can relate, they just took my port out 2 weeks ago. Exactly 1 year ago today I finished my cancer treatment. I had bought a c-3 2 mos before I was diagnosed. Had to do a body off , It's going to be a race car. But I used the car to keep me sane during treatment as I had little strength and would go out and work on the car for a couple hrs each day (when I could). When it's done I'm going to name it ..."Therapy" . Just keep picking away at it bits at a time, It'll happen and when it does you will have a grin a mile wide . Hang in there !

I refuse to get a port. I've been getting chemo for almost nine years plus, IV fluids every two weeks and iron IVs about 8x a year. Plus lab work at least twice a month and injections every week. I'm a human pin cushion.

But I still refuse the port. I just don't need any more medical **** and I believe the port just makes it more convenient for THEM. My veins are good!

No cancer though. They use cancer drugs to treat an incurable illness. Have to do it the rest of my life.

I am making progress. Pisses me off when days go by without completing something. Right now waiting on parts.

The Detroit Speed system snapped my Y stop on the drivers side. Broke that sucker.

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 03-14-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:17 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
I refuse to get a port. I've been getting chemo for almost nine years plus, IV fluids every two weeks and iron IVs about 8x a year. Plus lab work at least twice a month and injections every week. I'm a human pin cushion.

But I still refuse the port. I just don't need any more medical **** and I believe the port just makes it more convenient for THEM. My veins are good!

No cancer though. They use cancer drugs to treat an incurable illness. Have to do it the rest of my life.

I am making progress. Pisses me off when days go by without completing something. Right now waiting on parts.

The Detroit Speed system snapped my Y stop on the drivers side. Broke that sucker.
May you continue on the road to recovery and to continue working on your car in the best of health.
Wife has non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma on her lower spine, operated on 3 years ago and is slowly coming around. Keep thinking in the long haul!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

You have the look of a happy, life loving guy from the looks of that pic in the hospital room. Hang in there and do what you can. The absolute worst thing is to sit idle. Eat real, prepared food and keep on loving life. Good luck to you.
The following users liked this post:
TJefferson2020 (03-17-2017)

Quick Reply: [C2] Help me stay motivated. Project 64 Redux