C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] back up light

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:11 PM
steve814
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back up light

I have a 66 427/390 with no back up lights it seems the running lights illuminate when shifting reverse is this correct operation?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by steve814
I have a 66 427/390 with no back up lights it seems the running lights illuminate when shifting reverse is this correct operation?
Not correct.
Since you state the running lights work when in reverse, do all four rear lights come on or just the inner two? Do you have brake or tail lights?
If just the inner two lights come on with reverse, simply remove the red lenses and replace with the clear lenses and you'll have your back-up lights.

Don

Last edited by vetsvette2002; 03-16-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Sounds like someone rewired it to eliminate the backup lights and have 4 tail lights but made a mistake.
I recently eliminated the backup lights on my 65 coupe and thee 4 tail lights work fine.

Last edited by ohiovet; 03-16-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

vetsvette2002 told you correctly, but just to expand a little:

When you turn on headlights or park lamps, the two outside lamps should light up. When you step on the brake, those same two lights should get brighter. If you turn on the turn signal, the same lights are used to flash the signals. The only purpose of the two inside lamps when stock in 66 was backup lamps and they had a clear lens.

If everything works like that and the only time the inside pair of lights light up is when you put it in reverse, then you only need to change the red lens to clear and you're done.
If that inside pair lights up both with lights on AND in reverse, they are wired incorrectly.

Turn on the headlamps with the key off. Do all four tail lamps light? If so, it's wiring. If only the two outside ones light, it's correct. With the key on, those inside ones should only light up in reverse. The reverse lamp bulb (stock) only has one filament and one connection at the bottom of the bulb base, the tail/brake bulbs have two filaments and thus two connections at the base. I'd first verify which bulb lights when, then if something doesn't do as it should, check the bulbs and the sockets to see if the outside have two contacts and the inside only one. If all four sockets have two contacts, the inside sockets have been changed to match the outside ones. Post back what you find.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-17-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:25 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My 66 has a replacement rear light harness that was for 66 or 67 and has the extra wiring for 2 stoplights and or 1 stop and a backup each side. Makes it easy to be original or extra safe preventing rear end crashes by having 4 stop lights that I have also put in BRIGHT led bulbs
Old 03-19-2017, 01:52 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
vetsvette2002 told you correctly, but just to expand a little:

When you turn on headlights or park lamps, the two outside lamps should light up. When you step on the brake, those same two lights should get brighter. If you turn on the turn signal, the same lights are used to flash the signals. The only purpose of the two inside lamps when stock in 66 was backup lamps and they had a clear lens.

If everything works like that and the only time the inside pair of lights light up is when you put it in reverse, then you only need to change the red lens to clear and you're done.
If that inside pair lights up both with lights on AND in reverse, they are wired incorrectly.

Turn on the headlamps with the key off. Do all four tail lamps light? If so, it's wiring. If only the two outside ones light, it's correct. With the key on, those inside ones should only light up in reverse. The reverse lamp bulb (stock) only has one filament and one connection at the bottom of the bulb base, the tail/brake bulbs have two filaments and thus two connections at the base. I'd first verify which bulb lights when, then if something doesn't do as it should, check the bulbs and the sockets to see if the outside have two contacts and the inside only one. If all four sockets have two contacts, the inside sockets have been changed to match the outside ones. Post back what you find.
Nothing yet?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:44 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Given your situation, I agree that cree bulbs are the way to go. However, if you hadn't already tinted the stock lights, I would say that you should buy a set of halo LED tail lights (which should come with a good resistor), and then add the tint to those.

Get notified of new replies

To back up light

Quick Reply: [C2] back up light