C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Backup Camera

Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM
dgmoses
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I wonder how hard it would be to install a backup camera? I had and still have one on my Dodge Ram Truck, it came with my Tow Package but no bigger then the camera is it would be kind of hard for someone to see. I just wonder how hard it would be to install and setup a screen in the console some place.
Garmin makes a backup camera that works with certain models of their GPS units. It is a wireless installation, bluetooth I think, and can be used as a plain backup camera or as an on demand rear view camera. I'm working on installing one in the 6 vDC electrical system of my '54 Corvette. The view to the rear of that car with the top up is just plain scary.

D.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon

I still have a flip phone, I don't even use text, if you don't want to talk don't bother calling me.

Bill
Wife has a newer phone but it sure doesn't interest her in being occupied with it.
I have a Jeep with a backup camera but it annoys me.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Same here!

Member wmf62 added a rear view camera & radio/nav/rear viewing screen to his Solstice coupe, but the radio/screen is a 2 DIN size, and think something smaller would work for an early Vette.

Plasticman
the view to the rear of a solstice coupe has got to be worse than a C7; until I installed a camera it was kinda scary to back up....

Bill
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Well at any rate - it works with the right gizmos - like new fangled smartphones; its great for backing onto the 4 post lift.
That camera looks like it works out great Frankie!

Let alone the frustration it would save me from having the wife attempt to back me up on the lift!

Pat
Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

why do you have to back onto the lift? is it to clear the garage door when it's up?

Bill
Old 03-20-2017, 11:38 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wmf62
why do you have to back onto the lift? is it to clear the garage door when it's up?

Bill
Might have to do with a fixed antenna and the door.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmoses
Garmin makes a backup camera that works with certain models of their GPS units. It is a wireless installation, bluetooth I think, and can be used as a plain backup camera or as an on demand rear view camera. I'm working on installing one in the 6 vDC electrical system of my '54 Corvette. The view to the rear of that car with the top up is just plain scary.

D.
I just installed one of the Garmin wireless backup cameras on my truck. The camera is not much larger than a thimble(remember those). I attached it with one of the license bolts. It is powered thru the back up light circuit. It comes on and replaces the navigation screen whenever the truck is in reverse and then reverts back when taken out of reverse. It utilizes Bluetooth to communicate. You do have to buy one of their units that it will work with. I found one with a 5" screen for $150. A 6" unit was about $190. It works great even has the distance markers on the screen. A gps suction base attaches nicely to my C2 clock.
Like Frankie I never leave home without my iPhone
Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
Precisely and absolutely correct !

I wired my backup camera to the tail lights. When I want to see rearward out the split window I just turn the parking lights on. They are LEDs and draw next to no current so I just usually leave them on so full-time and I can see behind me the whole time I'm driving.

It lets me see how close tail gaters are and whether I am going to give them the 'rigid digit' when they roll by me
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-20-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Precisely and absolutely correct !

then you need one of these....

Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 03-20-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:28 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

After straightening two antennas on a friends 69 Z28, which also has a 63 SWC. I think,my friend probably figured it out on his 63 or at least never called me to straighten his, probably hollow and not repairable. i don't think power antenna was an option on a 63.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

After straightening two antennas on a friends 69 Z28, which also has a 63 SWC. I think,my friend probably figured it out on his 63 or at least never called me to straighten his, probably hollow and not repairable. i don't think power antenna was an option on a 63.
lol... wasn't an option in 62... until I figured out how to do it... (kinda like my remote trunk release...)

Bill
Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

then you need one of these....

Bill
Study the picture carefully - there will be a quiz.
HINT: I don't have a convertible in the air.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-20-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Study the picture carefully - there will be a quiz.
HINT: I don't have a convertible in the air.
I was looking at the antenna, Like C1-Generation 2 suggested.

Bill
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
Wrong! I still have the old flip phone also. It works and I don't need all those other features as they would confuse the hell out of me.
All I have is a flip phone also. All I need is a phone that makes calls, and receives calls. I have no desire to become a smart phone "zombie" like my wife and my grand kids.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

Bill
No, just the configuration of my garage and the location my lift is in.

I need to build a car barn!!

Pat
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

I could have used one last summer with a loud buzzer alarm to wake me the **** up! I back up my 67 right into the bumper of my Chevy pick up.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:06 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm gonna revive this 5 yr old thread cause its the only one I could find on back-up cameras and I've had a couple people ask me to share my back-up camera on my 66 roadster. The thread shows Frankie's solution the he added to his 63 SWC. So I'll try to be brief with a few pics.

Equipment I used was an old 4.5" Garmin Nuvi GPS. I think the model is 2407 which has long been discontinued probably 10 yrs ago. I like this model because it came with lifetime map updates and its easy to use and pair with your phone and a backup camera via blue tooth. I wanted to make the GPS screen "blend in" a bit so I painted it with bright blue interior dye paint to match my interior. For the camera part, I bought a wireless Garmin BC30 which easily paired to my Nuvi GPS.

The GPS unit is suction-cupped to the windshield so it rests on the front of the speaker grill. It powers up automatically with the key on. I tapped into a switched 12v wire behind the dash and ran the plug up beside the defroster vent and out the speaker grill, so the wire is nearly impossible to see even when looking thru the windshield from outside. Yet if you want to take it to your computer to update the maps, just release the suction cup and you can reach behind and unplug the power wire.

The camera came black which I painted with chrome spray paint to make it blend in better mounted above my license plate. The wiring for it is behind with all the tail light wiring. To power the camera at the right time, I wired it to one of my reverse lights, so when I shift into reverse, the backup lights come on and so does the camera. When the camera is on, it wirelessly shoots the signal via bluetooth to the GPS screen on the dash and takes priority over the map view on the screen. As soon as you shift out of reverse, the camera shuts off, the bluetooth signal drops and the GPS screen returns to the map view. You can adjust the grid lines in the camera view as part of your setup. If I recall it also buzzes an alarm signal if the distance between the camera and the closest object is too close.

If you don't have a GPS you want to leave in your car (nobody steals these things anymore), you could get any bluetooth camera that will communicate with your cell phone like Frankie did on his 63 SWC. All you need really is a clamshell holder or something similar. This would make the job quite easy as you only need to mount and wire up your camera. Hopefully this is easy to understand. Cheers, Bill

The following 3 users liked this post by NightshiftHD:
mrichard (11-16-2022), PaulUptime (05-15-2023), SJW (11-16-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Backup Camera

Old 11-16-2022, 09:41 AM
Drummer Boy
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I wonder how hard it would be to install a backup camera? I had and still have one on my Dodge Ram Truck, it came with my Tow Package but no bigger then the camera is it would be kind of hard for someone to see. I just wonder how hard it would be to install and setup a screen in the console some place.
It is not at all difficult.
Peaks has them
Garmin has them.
You can go ONLY Back up----Peaks
or
With a garmin you can have gos AND a back up camera. You cabn even add a second FORWARD camera to the Garmin so you can see just before your dront air dam hits the curb when you park.
Install took me less than 10 minutes.
Eddie
Old 11-16-2022, 11:02 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I bought the stuff for my Cheetah from ebay. The camera is in the license plate holder and the display is integrated into the rear view mirror. It only appears when the key is on and in reverse gear. The hardest part would be running the wires to the mirror.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:38 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts

Don't have a cell phone either. I use the monitor that came with the back up camera. Mine is a driving camera because I angled it to the right so I can see cars coming up on the right side of the car. I drive a SWC so I need that feature. It serves as a right hand mirror, only better. It fully takes the blind spot out.

Last edited by 2KREDVert; 11-17-2022 at 10:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2KREDVert:
65air_coupe (11-18-2022), silfox (11-17-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup Camera