C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1966 Corvette Convertible, how do I know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 PM
suregrip391
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1966 Corvette Convertible, how do I know?

Hi Guys, I was wondering if you guys could post up some info for me on what to look out for when checking out a 66 C2 that the owner claims was originally a big block car, but now has a small block in it. If anyone can attach pictures of certain things that I should be looking for that would be awesome also. Thanks guys. I'm hopefully going to look at the car in a week. I can report back with my findings. How do I know it was a big block car originally? Thanks.

Last edited by suregrip391; 03-20-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

This exact question is asked at least once a week here. Many CF members offer detail information, some with pics. If you use the search feature, (it has two levels) the results will load up a page or two. Dennis
Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

No matter what, it is a NOM car...beyond that, it really doesn't matter...therefore what is the difference?

Well maybe it does matter if you are paying a premium for a "I think it was a big block car"...
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by suregrip391
Hi Guys, I was wondering if you guys could post up some info for me on what to look out for when checking out a 66 C2 that the owner claims was originally a big block car, but now has a small block in it. If anyone can attach pictures of certain things that I should be looking for that would be awesome also. Thanks guys. I'm hopefully going to look at the car in a week. I can report back with my findings. How do I know it was a big block car originally? Thanks.
Here is the link to what you seek:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...block-car.html

It was done for another member looking for differences in 66 SB and BB cars.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
warrenmj (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:21 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

You already know it is not a numbers matching car if it has a SB and he CLAIMS it is a BB. SOOOOO, you know it is not an original car, but NOM.

How would he expect you to pay for something the car used to be as it is not now even close to what it was when it was born? Hundreds of thousands of CLAIMS out there from ultra rare 67 Z28 Camaros, GT500 Mustangs, etc., but worst of all C1 & C2 Corvettes (all of the original documentation burned in St. Louis).

I have a 69 year old Lady that used to be a Virgin and only has two children and 6 grandchildren . Do you want to buy her as a virgin? Priceless, but the price is negotiable unless she reads this.

Sorry, you are probably buying a NOM small block car for more money than it is worth unless he has excellent original documentation and car history (which he can buy on the internet every day) to backup his verbal claim.

Last edited by R66; 03-20-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default c2

Originally Posted by suregrip391
get someone in your area that knows c2s & they will find a lot more than you will find from some tips we give you to look for
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

The guy says it was originally a big block car. OK... you can use the search feature and no doubt find some things too look for to verify his claim.
There also seems to be some worry here among some that you are somehow going to pay more for a car because it used to be a big block.

You never indicated that he was jacking up the price because the car used to be a big block... so don't worry about it.

Here's what you do know. The original engine...(if it was a big block) is gone. If you love the car... buy it! I'm so sick of people obsessing about value... and how much their cream puff (that they're afraid of driving is worth.... or will be worth in XXX years).

If you like the car...and the price is fair. Go for it! Enjoy it!
silver837 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Hey!

Welcome to the journey! The guys here mean well, so don't take their bluntness too personally.

People have been faking these cars since... the 60s/70s, and they have only gotten better at the craft over time.

Since you KNOW its a NOM, what you should be paying for is condition - Frame, Birdcage, Body, Paint, etc etc.

Driver/#3 Condition 66 Convertibles should be in the $35-$45K range. At least, that is what the old hand, Corvette knowledgeable folks would pay. Dreamers usually pay more or overpay, because they haven't done their homework, are impatient, or are looking for something so specific (i.e It HAS to be a Laguna Blue 66 Convertible L79 Matching with Factory AC and Pipes) that they are at the mercy of the market.

If you had to "make" a Big Block car out of a Driver 66 that you found (for sake of argument $45K) it would probably cost in the neighborhood of $10K if you got a decent deal on a period 427 (with installation, brackets, radiator, bits and bobs etc)
Rebuilt 1969 Corvette 427 / 390 hp BBC & M20 Muncie 4 spd $6000.00 OBO

Selling an original 427 / 390 hsp BBC and Muncie M20 4 speed transmission, and associated parts. I have owned this combination since 2007 and was originally going to utilize, and preserve the arrangement in a 69 Camaro. I have changed directions since then, and I do feel it should be used in any of my other project vehicles due to what it is. I purchased it from an individual in the area where I live that still owns the original 69 Corvette (October 1969) that the combination came from (the vin. is stamped on the block and transmission case). I know it sounds unreasonable that the Vette was split up, but he was going to install an LS / Tremec 5 spd combo.
Now you are into your NOM big block for $55K...
Need paint? Figure another $10K
Now your chrome looks like hell... $2K
New interior? $2-3K...

The place where you get tripped up, is, at the end of the day, you could have a ton of money in the car... and it'd still be a NOM small block car. But if you got the cash, and don't care... why the hell not?

REGARDLESS... I'd find somebody local to you that KNOWS these cars, and KNOWS big blocks, and have them give the car an honest eye check.

If the car is sound, and its in your budget, and you like it, go for it... but be sure to pay for WHAT IT IS, not what it was.

To compare, here are some other cars... with NOMs
1966 CORVETTE CONERTIBLE / 427 / 4 SPEED - $45000 (North Wilmington)

1966 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE - $46900 (bridgewater)

And if you are willing to do a 65 Coupe... this NOM L78 looks interesting

1965 Chevy Corvette 4SPD 396/425HP 2dr Coupe - $62000 (Orlando)

Last edited by Revfan; 03-21-2017 at 02:55 AM.
6T5RUSH (03-24-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 AM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

90 degree fuel line for big block. Saw few big blocks with incorrect 45 degree fuel line at carlisle last year
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Its " not what it was, its what it is " Your buying a car, not a theory. Make it what ever you choose. Leave the hype to the ego managers who paint images they want you to believe.
Hard enough juggling solid structure with an acceptable value. Don't get distracted with " could have been features ".
Good luck with the search.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
No matter what, it is a NOM car...beyond that, it really doesn't matter...therefore what is the difference?

Well maybe it does matter if you are paying a premium for a "I think it was a big block car"...
This. ^^^^^

Since the hobby has placed more importance on originality and money than history and preservation, it doesn't matter if the original engine is missing. Now if you want that information so you can go looking for the long lost original engine, then that is different.

Once upon a time, owners were more honest about their actions.

Forty years ago: "Yes, this is an old 250 horse Powerglide car that I couldn't stand so I dropped a 454 and four speed in it.

Today: "Yes, this is a rare 396 - 425 hp car but someone stole the 396 and we replaced it with this 454 from an LS7 Corvette."

You also bought them for what they were and the quality of the work and the condition of the car, not what they have been originally built as.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Corvette Convertible, how do I know?

Quick Reply: [C2] 1966 Corvette Convertible, how do I know?