C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone else planning a road trip filled summer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Anyone else planning a road trip filled summer?

I've always been more of the driving adventure type than the car show type. Just curious what everyone has planned for the summer. Obviously I'm most excited about road tripping out to Mershons in Springfield, OH in three weeks to pick up the new car with my wife and brother-in-law.

Funny side story, my now brother-in-law had been looking for a black, 1967 Camaro for years. Two days prior to my wedding in Austin TX (Sep 2014) , we happened to be cruising Craigs List while drinking beer at Doc's on South Congress and found a 1967 base model that had been restored as an RS/SS clone. Black on black with the white stripe, 396 and a 4spd. Some guys spend the morning of their wedding playing golf, I spent it crawling all over a '67 Camaro. Long story short, my honey-moon got cancelled because Delta sucks and Travelocity is a bunch of crooks, but the wife and I ended up in Austin for an additional week, during which time he finally came around and the wife and I went back to the gentleman's house to give him a down payment. We flew back two weeks later to pick up the car and drive it back to Norfolk from Austin. The car is immaculate, and exactly what he wanted. Unfortunately, the shaft to the oil pump sheared just outside Houston, and that was the end of the 396. We rented a Uhaul and dragged her home. A ZZ454 now resides under the hood behind the M21....obviously not the ideal outcome, but it wasn't a factory big block anyway, and the 454 is a beast.

I add that story because I think its cool that the 3 of us found his dream car half way across the country, and dragged it home kicking and screaming, and now we're going to get to do the same with mine....although we're just going to go with the trailer from the get-go!

In June we have three cars participating in Rally North America's Rally Appalachia 2 https://www.rallynorthamerica.com/ev...a-2-july-2017/

We'll be driving our 1972 Suburban

My brother-in-law and his wife will be driving their above mentioned Camaro

And our neighbors will be driving their Porsche Caymen S

If you're on the east coast, and haven't looked into it, it looks like a lot of fun. If you search for it in youtube, Matt Farah has run the rally the past few years and has a few good videos.

Following the Rally in August, we'll be road tripping up to Boston and Maine to spend two weeks with friends up on Lake Sabago before I head out on my next deployment in September.

All in all, I'm looking forward to a summer full of road trips in old cars. Please share your plans and pics from previous 4-wheeled adventures as I'm always looking for new ideas!!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yes, one of the places I want to see on my bucket list is Palo Duro canyon in the Texas panhandle. Second largest canyon in the U.S. and it's only 350 miles from me. Problem is, I have a nice enclosed trailer and can't decide whether to haul or drive the 59. May be a bit of a stretch for a C1 to drive but would be fun!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Love that Suburban for sure!!

We try to plan one or two big road trips every year! One of our favorite things to do is buy a car in the lower 48 and road trip it back to Alaska. We've done this 5 times in recent years. It got so bad that my friends in Kentucky started asking me if they didn't sell cars in Alaska?!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:06 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I'm doing the Hot Rod Power Tour in June, my dad and I are going to "Long Haul" the trip, should be about 4k miles... I'm prepping the car as we speak.

I can't wait.....I LOVE road trips in classic cars, it really gives you a feel of what it was like to own one back then and actually use the car.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I'm doing the Hot Rod Power Tour in June, my dad and I are going to "Long Haul" the trip, should be about 4k miles... I'm prepping the car as we speak.

I can't wait.....I LOVE road trips in classic cars, it really gives you a feel of what it was like to own one back then and actually use the car.
, should be fun!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajrothm

That'll be a lot of fun...my wife and I did the Long Haul in 2011 when it started in Cocoa Beach FL and ended in Detroit. Unfortunately they're starting a little too far West for us to catch most of it. Depending on what my deployment date ends up being, I may also try to make Holley LS fest in Bowling Green in September with the Suburban....its got a 6.0L LS swap with a bunch of other upgrades in the name of daily driver reliability.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
Yes, one of the places I want to see on my bucket list is Palo Duro canyon in the Texas panhandle. Second largest canyon in the U.S. and it's only 350 miles from me. Problem is, I have a nice enclosed trailer and can't decide whether to haul or drive the 59. May be a bit of a stretch for a C1 to drive but would be fun!
My initial thought is just drive it...and leave yourself plenty of time so that you don't have to push it. That being said, you obviously know your car far better than I do. Thats what I love about the Suburban so much, I built it expressly for the purpose of a reliable, cross country classic.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 AM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 343 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

Have several trips planned for the 66 in the next few months.

Port Canaveral in April.
Columbus, OH in May - Taking the C7 on this trip.
Huntsville, AL in June.
Jackson, MS in July.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm in Nevada right now doing the Ron Fellows High performance driving school in a Z06. It's fun.
Enjoy that beautiful 64.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Joes64
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My Cousin and I are Planning a trip from South Florida to the National Corvette Museum
Old 03-21-2017, 09:35 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by capevettes
I'm in Nevada right now doing the Ron Fellows High performance driving school in a Z06. It's fun.
Enjoy that beautiful 64.
Extremely jealous Paul...I've wanted to attend one of those Corvette specific schools for years. Do you run your personal car at Ron Fellows, or are the cars supplied?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:32 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

They supply the cars and put you in a car equipped like your own. Z06 Manual, 7 speed.
Heading to the track for day 2 in 30 minutes. Great facility and instructors. I highly recommend it. These cars are incredible on the track.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:23 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
They supply the cars and put you in a car equipped like your own. Z06 Manual, 7 speed.
Heading to the track for day 2 in 30 minutes. Great facility and instructors. I highly recommend it. These cars are incredible on the track.
That place is a blast. If you get a chance tell my buddy Victor Resendiz that Pancho said Hi!
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (03-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else planning a road trip filled summer?

Quick Reply: Anyone else planning a road trip filled summer?