C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Whiny rear end - Seeking General Diff Rebuild Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default whiny

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
Hi folks.

The dif my '65 is has been making some whiny noises over the past few years. By the time we arrived in Carlisle last year (8 hour drive) it sounded like I had a supercharger belted down in the back!

I have been addressing other items further up the drivetrain and this spring will need to do the diff. Funds and time available for this job have been tight so I've needed to hold back on the diff job, but I'm going to need to do it.

I have read much but know very little about how sophisticated a repair/rebuild this would be. Admit I'm a bit intimidated after reading JackFit's incredibly detailed Gary Ramadei rebuild story, so would appreciate any good thoughts or advice. With apologies for stating the obvious, I want this done right and done once.

1. How long a job (avg) is it for an experienced tech to rebuild a midyear differential?

2. What should be my expected cost?

3. Should I seek out a tech specifically experienced with midyear diffs vs someone with general diff experience? Are our diffs that unique?

4. I am not concerned with originality (that ship sailed long ago.) Is it possible to buy an already rebuilt midyear posi diff, or are there perhaps any newer, better diff designs available?

Much thanks, in advance!
if its that noisy changing gear oil wont help & if it was that loud from wheel bearing it would seized by now. my 2 cents
Old 03-24-2017, 05:55 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Just want to THANK ALL those who have responded.
Shopping a replacement now...
Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Just to make this a bit more confusing....if your rear end is a peg-leg and you want a posi, you can swap in an Eaton part. I am NO rear end guy (not on cars anyway) but I know it can be done as I have the receipt where a previous owner did this on my '63....

Just another option to consider...

Quick Reply: Whiny rear end - Seeking General Diff Rebuild Advice