C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tough week

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Tough week

I'm trying to reassemble my 65 so my daughter can take senior pictures with it, in about a week or so. First this weekend I was trying to mount the grille and noticed it was slightly bent. Instead of taking my time and learning how to bend it correctly, I put a little force on it and SNAP....right in half.

Now, last night I went to install the antenna, given to me by the previous owner (he took it apart), and it's not a 65 corvette power antenna....not sure what it's for. Wish I had a picture to share right now.

Then I go to put the rocker panels on (not 65 rocker panels) and apparently there's a rocker panel retaining strip that I don't have.

I get the side mirror out of it's storage and there's no glass in it....guess I needed to review all of the parts before starting reassembly.

Now I'm just trying to find some spunk to go home and see what else I can find that is wrong. If I get this car together within the next week (for pictures only) I'll be one lucky man.

Disappointed,
Dex.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:43 PM
59 navy
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Been there

My daughter and her husband wanted to drive my 59 to their wedding. Front PS wheel bearing failed and the NAPA replacement was incorrect. Three of us tried to get it ready but couldn't finish the job in time. (we had 1 day and a night) And then there was the time......59 navy
Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

As a mechanic, I can tell you this: nothing rushed or last-minute ever seems to work out. At least not for me. You need to be organized, not in a hurry, and relaxed to do quality work. In a rush always costs much more, and yields much less.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
As a mechanic, I can tell you this: nothing rushed or last-minute ever seems to work out. At least not for me. You need to be organized, not in a hurry, and relaxed to do quality work. In a rush always costs much more, and yields much less.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Old 03-21-2017, 01:18 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks guys. I've been busting it for months now trying to get this car picture ready and now I have just a few days left. Once the pictures are done, I'm taking a break!!!

BTW, the rocker panel retainer strip is a HAVE TO HAVE before I mount the rocker panels? I have no idea since I've never done this before. I originally thought the retainer strips were for side exhaust (which I don't have), so I dropped the ball on that one.

Thanks,
Dex.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

No offense. But your first purchase should have been an AiM Assembly Instruction manual. Then you would see things like the rocker molding retainer strip. And if you have a deadline screw the superficial stuff. A metal plug in the antenna hole works. Nobody will care. Now the grill well, you'll want that of course.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:26 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

I'm beginning the assembly of the chassis for my 64. Thought I had overhauled all the necessary parts. Body shop will have the body ready for delivery very soon. Every assembly I've tried has found missing or not quite ready to install. Frustrating and not the intended fun work. Think I'll just find a place to park the body till I'm ready. I understand your frustration.

Get notified of new replies

To Tough week

Quick Reply: Tough week