C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT-Ed China Leaving Wheeler Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 440 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Root2812
It sucks that happens to all the good shows. I used to like Fast N Loud and then they quit doing cars an average guy could get and everything had to be six figures and all drama with very little actual car work.

Even Roadkill on YouTube is getting starting to Jump the shark. They use to do all budget and junk yard stuff which was fun but now it's all high dollar parts and drag racing.
Hey! Do not bag on Roadkill!

They been using high end parts since the beginning. Episode 7 blower on a v-8 jag... They just had a 1.5k shootout. Nothing high end there.

They need a TV show, though, maybe not since it will probably ruin the idea.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 03-24-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I remember when Jerry Seinfeld quit his show - I think after he was offered like $5MM per episode. He just wanted to go out on top while the series was at its peak...

There just comes a time...
Old 03-24-2017, 11:39 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

True. You can witness the evolution in the show when you see the old episodes.. where they were working on $1000 cars, and Ed would do touchup with rattle-can paint, to the last season, where they were doing bizarre vehicles like Humvees, delivery vans, etc. 13 years is a long time... but the thing that held it together (at least for me) was Edd's mechanical and engineering expertise.
The following users liked this post:
jerry gollnick (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

And I appreciated the honesty when they clearly "stepped on it"..

When they did some sort of "soap bubble wrap" on an old van and they couldn't unload it...Edd said he just kept it. I doubt he still has it but I was surprised the episode even got aired. It was TERRIBLE!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 AM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm about up to here with all these car fix shows that offer few if any technical details and have arbitrary deadlines just for drama. "Gotta get er done in four weeks!!!"...please. Some are just thinly disguised commercials for aftermarket products and car wax
They should watch This Old House...thats the way to do it.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well Edd does have his negative moments. He bragged on the improved performance derived by putting an electronic points conversion in a car (it looked like a Pertronix) and even I am careful about such claims. They are also a little too quick to pop an Edelbrock carb (as many shows do) and claim victory. Not a fan of that...a short cut IMO. I will miss the English idioms like "perished" and "dodgy" though....those are a hoot...

I noticed lately Mike Brewer actually getting his hands dirty. Prob a presage of things to come as his role is expanded - it prob won't do any good though...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-24-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:18 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Well there is years of reruns.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:49 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

He is the heart of the show. I am out as well.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:49 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

So Velocity took something great and fixed it.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:56 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Perhaps Edd will hook up with Wayne.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:58 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Root2812
It sucks that happens to all the good shows. I used to like Fast N Loud and then they quit doing cars an average guy could get and everything had to be six figures and all drama with very little actual car work.

Even Roadkill on YouTube is getting starting to Jump the shark. They use to do all budget and junk yard stuff which was fun but now it's all high dollar parts and drag racing.
Very well put about Fast and Loud. I used to love it. Now I can't stand it. I used to want to share a beer with Richard. Now I would run from him. I can understand why Aaron Kaufman quit: he's a 'car guy' and Richard is a publicity hound....a showman, a promoter. Chasing Classic Cars is still good, even though the cars all start at about a million-five..........
Old 03-24-2017, 02:04 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 440 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Very well put about Fast and Loud. I used to love it. Now I can't stand it. I used to want to share a beer with Richard. Now I would run from him. I can understand why Aaron Kaufman quit: he's a 'car guy' and Richard is a publicity hound....a showman, a promoter. Chasing Classic Cars is still good, even though the cars all start at about a million-five..........
Watch Roadkill on youtube. You will like it.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 03-24-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I'd be willing to bet Velocity couldn't care less about viewers' opinions.

I'm wondering why the repair segments are significantly more expensive.

Like Frankie said, Brewer obviously started getting his hands dirty lately... I guess there was something to that.

Maybe Edd can hook up with Robyn from South Beach Classics and they can start a new unemployed cast member spinoff like Fast and Loud started.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:26 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

I'll miss Ed; WD was one of the few shows that actually showed problem solving skills that didn't come from a vendors box. It was a great show without artificial drama or "slammed" customs with tattoo art.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:30 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Well Edd does have his negative moments. He bragged on the improved performance derived by putting an electronic points conversion in a car (it looked like a Pertronix) and even I am careful about such claims. They are also a little too quick to pop an Edelbrock carb (as many shows do) and claim victory. Not a fan of that...a short cut IMO. I will miss the English idioms like "perished" and "dodgy" though....those are a hoot...

I noticed lately Mike Brewer actually getting his hands dirty. Prob a presage of things to come as his role is expanded - it prob won't do any good though...
I caught that stuff, too. But gave him a' television pass'. I too could listen to Edd all day, describing stuff as 'past it' and 'out of nick'....and I appreciated his humility at the horrific van build that didn't sell, too. It was a great show.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:41 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I'd be willing to bet Velocity couldn't care less about viewers' opinions.
That's not true. I work in broadcast (on the technical side). TV networks have a simple business model: They buy content (shows) and sell advertising.

Ad rates are tied to viewer numbers, as measured by Nielsen and others. If a show looses viewers, they loose money.

I noticed some 'top tier' advertisers had jumped on the WD bandwagon in the last season. The show must be making them good ad rates.

Direct viewer feedback is a component of how they make programming decisions.

The Internet has basically turned the traditional broadcast business upside down (netflix, utube, etc.).. so these traditional broadcasters are desperate to hold onto viewers of traditional (non Internet) programming.

Last edited by SDVette; 03-24-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by SDVette
That's not true. I work in broadcast (on the technical side). TV networks have a simple business model: They buy content (shows) and sell advertising.

Ad rates are tied to viewer numbers, as measured by Nielsen and others. If a show looses viewers, they loose money.

I noticed some 'top tier' advertisers had jumped on the WD bandwagon in the last season. The show must be making them good ad rates.

Direct viewer feedback is a component of how they make programming decisions.

The Internet has basically turned the traditional broadcast business upside down (netflix, utube, etc.).. so these traditional broadcasters are desperate to hold onto viewers of traditional (non Internet) programming.
I'm no dummy but I can in no way reconcile what you just posted against what the Velocity channel is allegedly doing to this series.

Get notified of new replies

To OT-Ed China Leaving Wheeler Dealers

Old 03-24-2017, 05:15 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I'll get over it. I'm still PO'ed that they replaced the original Darrin on Bewitched...
WhoTF was Dick York anyway?

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
wow this was one of the only great car shows on the tv, more and more shitty programs are on tv that are just not worth watching, things like fast n loud, misfit garage.......
Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Lets cut out all of the cool stuff and replace it with fake drama car shows and stupid antics.
I remember when Jerry Seinfeld quit his show. There just comes a time...
His Comedians in Cars having Coffee (on line) is great! A different car every episode.

He also compares his early retirement to a slip and slide in the episode with Alec Baldwin.

Originally Posted by John BX NY
I'm about up to here with all these car fix shows that offer few if any technical details and have arbitrary deadlines just for drama. "Gotta get er done in four weeks!!!"...please. Some are just thinly disguised commercials for aftermarket products and car wax.
Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Maybe Edd can hook up with Robyn from South Beach Classics and they can start a new unemployed cast member spinoff like Fast and Loud started.
LOL

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
I'll miss Ed; WD was one of the few shows that actually showed problem solving skills that didn't come from a vendors box. It was a great show without artificial drama or "slammed" customs with tattoo art.
All the above pretty much sums it up for me.

Besides, Gunsmoke started down the tubes when Burt Reynolds as Quint Asper left the show.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:21 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I'm no dummy but I can in no way reconcile what you just posted against what the Velocity channel is allegedly doing to this series.
I've oversimplified it a bit. Viewer AGE and demographics play into it. The most sought-after group by advertisers is the 18-34 year olds, as they spend the most money on products.

I suspect that age group is not drawn to Edd's expertise as we are. In fact, that age group may PREFER less technical detail and more drama.....
Old 03-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Agree

Originally Posted by tubman
I agree with you completely. Without him, the show is toast.
Ed provided the "most" valuable aspect of the show. Mike is enjoyable, good hearted bloke but at last just provided a filler role. Wish Ed the BEST and hope HE will carry on with a new wrench turning, problem solving, REAL WORLD show of his own. He is a great loss. Velocity doesn't understand what they where successfully "selling" to us.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tmichaelson:
6T5RUSH (03-24-2017), jerry gollnick (03-25-2017)

Quick Reply: OT-Ed China Leaving Wheeler Dealers