C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 10:49 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER?

Octane Boosters are expensive, but many of us have an interest in them. I ran across this information from another Corvette discussion service that I subscribe to.

Opinions? Experience?

Has anyone out there tried mixing xylene, tolulene, or MTBE with gas to boost octane. If so what were the result and what are the cautions?
Below is some information I found.

------------------------------
Editor's note: I would NOT suggest that a person use the following fuel
mixtures without considering the detrimental effects on your engine,
vital engine components (O2 sensor, etc), and other potential damage.
That said, the information is interesting.
Original published in:

GS-Xtra
1213 Gornto Road
Valdosta, GA 31602
(912) 244-0577

Editor: Richard Lasetter, president Gran Sport Club of America (GSCA)

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will
only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5
for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at
chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3
*points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and
advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU
content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline
burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in
Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat
gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main
ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing
alcohol.

Sample Mixture
To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch,
and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster
products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and*
lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for
mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for
transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.
------------------------------
Opinions? Experience?

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 11:06 AM 11/12/2002]
Old 11-12-2002, 02:28 PM
polyrocks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (67HEAVEN)

Great post...can't wait for the reply :)
Old 11-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (polyrocks)

...oh, i've got one alright...i've seen these recipes before and actually tried some of this swill...i think i added toluene or xylene because one of these (can't remember which) is THE historic octane booster along with TEL...so, i knew i needed to rebuild the BB ANYWAY so i added the "prescribed" amount and not more than 5 miles later, it started to misfire...i got it home OK but SWORE that i would leave this stuff to the petroleum chemists...this is NOT better living through chemistry...what i also remember is that you can use something called "xylol" which is nowhere near as good as xylene because xylol contains a mixture of chemicals whereas xylene is the true octane booster....that little piece of paper you guys never read on the back of a bottle of octane enhancer??? - it says it contains "petroleum distillates" - yeah, that's what xylene is (and if you take a look at the MSDS for these kinds of compounds, you'll see complicated stuff like "known or suspected carcinogen in humans and animals", "can cause liver failure"....but i digress)........

...i would use TEL (also a potent poison) straight out of the bottle for those old dinosaurs with soft valve seats and go with the conventional wisdom of settling on a mix of pump/race gas for everything else - at least we all know and respect gasoline
Old 11-12-2002, 08:03 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (Kid_Again)

I mix 100 Octane Low Lead (100LL) with 92 octane pump gas. A 50/50 mix will yeild a 96 octane fuel. (label rating). I find this to work great with the 11.1 compression ratio of my motor. I work on an airport so it is fairly easy for me to get my hands on.

If you find no one will sell you avaition fuel try this:

-Bring a container for the fuel when you purchase it!
-Go to a local fuel distributor/refinery and just buy a 55 gal drum of it.
Bring a couple of drums and have them fill them up.

Octane boosters don't work, tried them all!
This works and it is not that expensive and one trip to the refinery will last you all summer.

Mark
Old 11-12-2002, 09:22 PM
BC66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (67HEAVEN)

I have found with octane boosters you get what you pay for , the cheap stuff does nothing . My 327 in my 66 I rebuilt last winter and runs fine on the Sunoco ultra '94' that we have around here ,[94 octane],so I don't mess with it. But I have a Harley W/wiesco pistons ect.,that puts out 84 HP at the rear wheel with only 80 Cubic inches ,that pings on Ultra 94 .I used to go to the local small aiport W/a couple 6 gal jugs and they will sell it to ya ,but I also have had success with JP racing fuels octane boost $9.99 @ auto zone or similar parts stores.been running it about 5 yrs. Good Luck ,Bruce :chevy
Old 11-13-2002, 11:53 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (BC66)

Most "octane booster" additives have a VERY high concentration of Methanol (not ethanol), which will eat the plating off the inside of your carb - also eventually eats conventional rubber gaskets.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:07 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (Kid_Again)

[QUOTE]...- it says it contains "petroleum distillates" - yeah, that's what xylene is (and if you take a look at the MSDS for these kinds of compounds, you'll see complicated stuff like "known or suspected carcinogen in humans and animals", "can cause liver failure"....but i digress)........

Let me add something here in the category of digressing. One of my oldest friends was a real dyed in the wool dirt track racer who ran engines with compression ratios in the 13 to 1 range. He was always mixing up the latest witches brew of octane booster. He was diagnosed with cancer and went to one of the best cancer centers in the world, Dana Farber I think, in Boston. They went thru a question and answer session "Have you been exposed to........................" Y/N. Half way thru the list they ran into some of the "Octane Boosters' he had used. He replied "yes" to one or two of the listed items. At that point the question and answer session STOPPED. "No need to go further with this list" said the person working with my friend on the list. Apparently the cancer he had was VERY tightly linked to the "octane boosters" he repled "Yes" to.

He died of that same cancer in 1992.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:10 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (TheOman)

...theOman..sad story but is directly to the point.....you HAVE to be concerned about exposure to this stuff and familiarity breeds complacency...some of us worry about splling this stuff on the skin but the bigger problem is inhaling this stuff and that's why you need to keep the air moving in the garage - even in the dead of winter....

...i clearly worry too much but if you figure out the potential benefit of making your own "high octane" brew (which i think is minimal) to that of the really good advice about blending gasoline (within reason), you'll get much better results and actually stand a good chance of living longer
Old 11-14-2002, 08:39 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

And I should add. EVERY time you take a carb apart for rejetting or change a fuel pump or do any work on the engine that cracks the fuel system open you are gonna be breathing that stuff.

Anybody who reads my posts in Politics and Controversey knows I am not a "Maddog Enviromentalist" guite the contrary. That said this mixin fuel is just nuts. Leave it to the pros at the oil companies. God knows they can do enough damage but tryng this mixing "At Home"...........NO WAY.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:52 AM
Mike66
Instructor

Those recipes from the GSXtra were primarily for the Turbo Buick guys who want to run higher boost without toasting O2 sensors with leaded race gas. I have run the occasional tank of Xylene mix in the GN and it works as advertised. I wouldn't put it in the Corvette, though, because leaded race gas works even better.

As for the health concerns, Xylene or Tolulene (I wouldn't use MTBE or any of the alcohols... bad for the car) are just petroleum distilates as is gasoline. They are commonly used industrial solvents. Using the same precautions as you would with handling gasoline - don't breathe it and don't get it on your skin - I don't see any cause for alarm. Do a web search on "Xylene cancer" and you come up with a bunch of papers that can't establish a direct link. It is not classified as a carcinogen.

Mike
Old 11-14-2002, 12:00 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (Mike66)

...totally disagree with your assessment of the literature....there is clearly a relationship with cancer, primarily hepatic (liver cancer) with simple volatile organics that contain the benzene ring....such as toluene, the "xylols", etc

...you talk cause and effect, which is not correct when dealing with carcinogens or substances of carcinogenic potential...AND it all depends on exposure, which is cumulative - the more you are exposed to, the greater your risk....none of this is arguable or open to interpretation
Old 11-14-2002, 12:14 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

I am back again with a comment or two more. The friend I mentioned earlier had more than a fair share of cancers in his family. His Doctor told him that while they don't know how some of these agents cause cancer or why some folks are repeatedly exposed and never get cancer. The Doctor further added that given the family history he never should have gone NEAR that stuff let alone repeatedly exposeing himself to it.

I don't know for sure what chemicals he was using and I don't know what chemicals they were asking him about during the Q&A session but I know he was breathin that stuff and gettin it on his skin when he mixed the gas and worked on the fuel system. I also suppose he was breathing exhaust fumes that contained by products of burning those chemicals.

One thing I know for SURE is that he is DEAD, he had CANCER and I miss him.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:10 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER? (TheOman)

I am back again with a comment or two more. The friend I mentioned earlier had more than a fair share of cancers in his family. His Doctor told him that while they don't know how some of these agents cause cancer or why some folks are repeatedly exposed and never get cancer. The Doctor further added that given the family history he never should have gone NEAR that stuff let alone repeatedly exposeing himself to it.

I don't know for sure what chemicals he was using and I don't know what chemicals they were asking him about during the Q&A session but I know he was breathin that stuff and gettin it on his skin when he mixed the gas and worked on the fuel system. I also suppose he was breathing exhaust fumes that contained by products of burning those chemicals.

One thing I know for SURE is that he is DEAD, he had CANCER and I miss him.
In the old days, we used to wash our hands and arms with hi-test leaded gasoline after a particularly greasy job on the line as mechanics. No one thought too much about it back then. We also used to go home with constant headaches from the exhaust fumes.
Cripes, with all the crap we were exposed to, and all the fumes we breathed, I'm probably radioactive or something; at the least I have probably murdered lots of brain and liver cells. If you complained about it, you were called a "kitty", and people rode your **** about it.
Car guys are always muy macho. And kids always think they're going to live forever........
That being said, bring out the toluene and mix up some rocket fuel!
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
P.S.
'Kitty?' WTF? Don't you love that forum censor!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Modified by MassVette, 4:13 PM 11/17/2002]
Old 11-20-2002, 01:48 AM
62fi
Intermediate

Default Re: xylene is the only way to go

i hang out on the sy/ty forum as i have a typhoon. we use xylene alot in our trucks. the best mix is 3 parts gas to 1 part xylene. i use about 2 gal. xylene to 1/2 tank of gas. it does not hurt your motor or any seals. i have used this off and on for about 3 years with no ill affects to me or my truck. but i don't sit there and sniff it either. :eek:
Old 11-20-2002, 07:28 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: xylene is the only way to go (62fi)

...huh, learn something every day...didn't know that the use of xylene was that common....OK, this stuff doesn't seem to affect the new iron but i'd still be a bit cautious about using even reasonable quantities of xylene or toluene with these "antiques"...what works for a fuel-injected typhoon may not be the best for a non-computer controlled carburated engine
Old 11-20-2002, 09:54 AM
62fi
Intermediate

Default Re: xylene is the only way to go (Kid_Again)

i also run xylene in my 62 fi vette. have no side affects or problems. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER?

Quick Reply: Opinions on / Experience with self-mixing of OCTANE BOOSTER?