C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restoring Soft Top Frame ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 06:29 PM
clcintx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring Soft Top Frame ???'s

My vette still has it's original top on it, which is in desperate need of replacement. I've ordered the replacement top and weather stripping and found a good upholstery shop in town that came highly recommended for installation. I took the old top / frame off the car and removed the old top from the frame. The question I have is about these channels that had some sort of fibrous material that the top had been stapled and nailed to. I can't find this stuff in any of my catalogs??? (pictured below)

Also, how do you recommend restoring the top's frame before I take it to the upholstery shop??

~Cynthia

[Modified by clcintx, 5:32 PM 11/17/2002]
Old 11-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: Restoring Soft Top Frame ???'s (clcintx)

clcintx,

The material is called a "Tack Strip". CC has it in their C1 catalog on page 111, p/n 131212 (for 56-60 Vettes) for $43.20 or p/n 131214 (for 61 & 62 Vettes) for $35.70. Talk to your installation shop first before ordering this, since he may have some already available.

To refinish the top frame before having the top put on is relativly easy. I trust you marked where the frame was before removing it. The installation shop will need it in "about" the correct location before they install the top. Talk to them about this, since they may need extra time (and money) to realign the top (if your unable to do this). I refinished my frame with spray cans of paint, and it was well worth it! I marked and removed each bow, then sanded them, used primer, and then spray paint. After all the bows and side rails were dry, I reassembled and touched up any areas that were scratched during reassembly. Be very careful of keeping all the bows and parts marked for their correct reassembly (mark the bows with "hang tags", use plastic bags marked with item/location for each item in question). Digital photos are great for reassembly questions (assuming it is still together now). I painted and then reassembled & greased (at the pivot points) the top onto the car (realigning it as necessary) and then folded it away with towels between the bows to keep them from scratching each other. Then drove to the install shop. Of course it had to rain on the way!

I would also order any other items related to the top like front/rear/& side weather stripping, hardware that is broken, dull, or missing. Depending on the install shop, he also may want you to order the pads. Talk to them and find out what they need, etc.

When you pick up the Vette (after the top reinstall), make sure everything fits as you expect it to. Put the top up and down, and check the fit for too tight or loose areas, etc. That is the time to complain or praise.

Good luck,

[Modified by Plasticman, 6:11 PM 11/17/2002]

Quick Reply: Restoring Soft Top Frame ???'s