C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 and Cragar wheels (if you are thinking of buying)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 09:55 PM
tl-vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 66 and Cragar wheels (if you are thinking of buying)

I just bought Cragar SS wheels for my 66. Always liked that Cragar look since I was a kid. Anyway here is what I found out after I bought.
First off I bought the standard 15x6 wheel with a 0 offset. The only problem is that a Cragar SS wheel will hit your brake calipers unless you put in a spacer. Now Cragar makes such a spacer (part #29200). These are a 1/2" spacer and they cleared all my calipers. Plus they send longer lug nuts in the kit to make up for the spacing. I also bought 215/65/15 tires to go with the wheels.
Now two things I would do different if I were to do it again. First I would try to buy the wheels with an offset to compensate for the spacer. I don't know what that jargon is exactly but I would have it at least set in a 1/2". Next I would probably buy 215/70/15 tires. The 65's look great up front but kind of smallish in the back. Don't look like they fill the wheel well enough from the side for me. I would go back and change the back two to 70's. But my fear is they will be too close to the fender and rub. Also I am used to looking at G78 tires on the car and this may just take some getting used too. The G78's were actually bigger than what should have been on there anyway.
Well that is my story. Anyone out there thinking of doing the same, hope I helped with your plans. :chevy
Old 02-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Rondog
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: 66 and Cragar wheels (tl-vette)

Really appreciate the post! I too wanted and bought a set of S/S Cragars to find the same thing you did. Only no one bothered to help me find the spacer and lugs you mentioned. I ended up with a set of Chrome Rallye Wheels but will now probably pursue the Cragar with the 1/2" offset as you suggested. I am running the 215/70/15 tires. Thanks again

Rondog

Old 02-13-2003, 09:20 AM
ddawes
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at Cragars or TTII's for my vette as well.
Anyone else got specs. for Torq Thrust II on a stock 66 vette?? Seem to get nothing exact from the archives.

Thanks,
Derek
Old 02-14-2003, 07:28 PM
tl-vette
Instructor

Default Re: 66 and Cragar wheels (Ed T)

Man I'd love to show you the pic's. But I know even less about that than about wheels. I'll try to figure it out and get something on here.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:02 AM
KJLVette
Instructor

tl-vette,
Thanks for the post - I've looked into this before as well and my main concern was if the backspacing from offset wasn't correct and it rubbed or otherwise wouldn't fit properly - could I return the wheels for the "next size" The vendors that I talked to said if you mount them you bought them - no returns after mounting. I did just read an article in the March 2003 Chevy High Performance mag (page 46 - Wheel Space) that gave me a better perspective on this topic.

Does anyone know if you can get "custom" caps for the wheels or are you stuck with the standard cap provided.

Hey Ed T - Your ride looks :cool:

Kevinh
Old 02-15-2003, 09:19 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Put identicle set/up on my 66 convertable about 6 years ago, With 1/2" spacers ,only problem I had was wheel rubbed slightly on right / front caliper, fixed buy grinding down raised lettering on calliper that was making contact :smash: used a dremmel tool to resolve & no contact since, also " never" use a impact gun , put wheels on with wrench & while on jack & gently go around tightning so that the wheels center themself , I have 205 X 65 R 15 " tires. I went wtih the optional spinners , look great on my tripple black 66......... :steering:

[Modified by StrayDog, 9:22 AM 2/15/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Boogieman65
Racer

Default Re: 66 and Cragar wheels (StrayDog)

tl vette, I put 215-65's on the front and 215-70's on my '65 coupe. They
give the car a slight "tire rake" that I think looks great.
I have a set of 15x7 CRAGAR SS's that just won't fit the car using the
spacers. I guess I'll just stick with my 15" "SS mag look" factory
hub caps for now.
Hey Rondog, except for the model year and wheels, we seem to be
driving the same car..Accolades to you on your fine taste in cars!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:36 AM
durango63
Cruising

I too am looking at the Cragar wheels for my 63. Since it doesn't have disc brakes, will I have the same problem with offset or will the standard offset wheels work? It's great to have access to this forum with its vast base of experience.

Thanks,

Howard
Old 02-19-2003, 04:26 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: 66 and Cragar wheels (durango63)

durango63........Not based on fact but only my opinion , I would think the Crager SS would fit a 63 without spacers,as the spacers were to accomodate the Disc brake calipers..... suggest calling Crager Tech line for correct info. The Dog :seeya
Old 02-20-2003, 10:01 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TT II's fit without any problems........complete bolt-ons. More $$$$, but less ****-ache.
my 2c.
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 02-20-2003, 07:56 PM
JO
Intermediate

Default Re: 66 and Cragar wheels (MassVette)

Hey Massvette, I 've been looking for a shade of blue to do my 64 vert and saw yours. It looks great! Hard to tell if its lemans blue on the computer or not ....do you mind telling what it is? And are you pleased with how it looks ?

thanks, Jo

Get notified of new replies

To 66 and Cragar wheels (if you are thinking of buying)

Quick Reply: 66 and Cragar wheels (if you are thinking of buying)