C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stud Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:04 PM
ddawes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stud Removal

I have pulled out my exhaust manifolds for refinishing. What is the best way to remove the studs? I have been soaking with penetrating oil, next I have heated the snot out of them with a propane torch. I still can't get them to budge. The studs are rusty and in poor condition.
Any ideas from you wrench heads would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek
Old 02-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Re: Stud Removal (ddawes)

I went through this many years ago. Cut the stud level with the flange, center punched it, drilled it out using progressively larger bits. Then retapped for next size up, (can't remember size) and used brass nuts. These nuts are longer than normal and should be available at quality parts stores. Another approach is, center punch the stud drill it according to directions for using an
"easy out". Some other forum member may have another approach. Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:13 PM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Propane ain't enough heat. If you can get hold of acetylene, that might help break it loose. If not, put a pipe wrench on em. Some will snap off. Then you can waste your money on easy outs, or take it straight to a machine shop which will dig them out with an end mill or EDM machine.

Been there, done that. What I can't get loose at the moment is one of the 4.5" bolts holding the differential to the front mounting bracket. Hardly anything on the car is rusted except that ^%$#@ bolt. Nothing is working. :banghead:

[Modified by gary6696, 2:14 AM 2/21/2003]
Old 02-20-2003, 09:50 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I have heated the snot out of them with a propane torch.
Your local hardware store should have MAPP gas for your propane torch. This burns hotter than plain propane. It is a mixture of propane and acetylene.

If I remember correctly, the stud size for exhaust mainfolds are 3/8-16 NC. The tap drill size for this is 5/16" ( .3125) If the studs break off, grind them flush, centerpunch and drill them out. If you start the tap in the existing threads it will clean the old threads out. ( It's not that hard, just take your time)

:seeya JRD77VET

Get notified of new replies

To Stud Removal

Quick Reply: Stud Removal