C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'62 Off-Road Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 07:19 PM
weihemuller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '62 Off-Road Mufflers

My '62 has the 2 inch stock exhaust system with the wide oval (quiet) mufflers. I want to try out the off-road mufflers out before I replace the exhaust system to see if I can deal with the increased noise. Will the off-road mufflers just bolt-in where the wide ovals were? If so, is there just one type of off-road muffler?
Old 03-16-2003, 07:58 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: '62 Off-Road Mufflers (weihemuller)

I don't recall if the pipe diameters and muffler lengths are the same or not; check with Paragon - they carry both types (about $160/pr.) for either one. :thumbs:
Old 03-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: '62 Off-Road Mufflers (JohnZ)

I've made that swap a few times. The mufflers are interchangable. I love the off-road mufflers :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 03-17-2003, 12:15 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: '62 Off-Road Mufflers (Duntov-097)

Just a caution: On my 62, a previous owner changed the exhaust system to headers, and used oval type mufflers (they look like the generic "turbo" style). But these mufflers have the typical oval offset inlet, and straight outlet (one end is offset to one side, and the other end is out the center). If I was to replace them with the off road type mufflers, which I think are straight in, straight out, they would not mate to my pipes, because of the offset nature of the existing pipes/mufflers. I would think that for the 2 types of mufflers to be interchangable, they would both need to have straight in, straight out pipes. Perhaps I am wrong, and I am sure someone here will correct me if that be the case.

I have no complaint with my system (sounds real good, especially since I added a "H" pipe, and it produces good power).

Just recommend you check out your existing mufflers just to be sure.

Plasticman
Old 03-17-2003, 07:55 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: '62 Off-Road Mufflers (Plasticman)

I don't know how many people are producing the off road mufflers, but when I replaced mine with new Corvette Central, I was EXTREMELY disappointed. NO SOUND! They are just like the stock mufflers. As stated earlier, they will fit the same as oval mufflers.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:11 AM
weihemuller
Intermediate

Default Re: '62 Off-Road Mufflers (vettes1st)

Any suggestions on where to get the best off-road mufflers (the loud ones)?
Old 03-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I've installed a few sets from Corvette Central and the are extremely loud. Hearing mine is what sold them to the others. :yesnod: Maybe you got a bad set :confused: I bought mine about 2 years ago.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:22 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

Stainless Steel Exhaust Co. makes some very good mufflers of the setup and would be the correct length. As we sell Walker, I opted for the Walker hollywood style glasspack. It comes in various lengths and openings with great sound. Every one always asks what system I have. Not overly expensive either. Just check out a Walker supplier for a correct length and opening.l :D

Get notified of new replies

To '62 Off-Road Mufflers

Quick Reply: '62 Off-Road Mufflers