C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie 4-speed rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Ryanc65
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Muncie 4-speed rebuild

How difficult is a rebuild of the muncie 4 speed? I have never rebuilt a transmission before. Are the rebuild kits available thru several of the catalogs good? Are there any good books or documentation on rebuilding? Is the process in the shop manuals?

The muncie 4-speed seemed to be fairly widely used. Should a reputable tranny shop be able to rebuild it? What could I expect to pay for a rebuild.?

What can I check to see if it even needs a rebuild? Are tolerances/specs given that I can check at home?

I have never had this 4-speed in the car, so I don't know if anything was wrong with it. The previous owner had a PG installed when he bought the car so his wife could drive it.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 03-21-2003, 08:29 PM
richklock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Muncie 4-speed rebuild (Ryanc65)

I just finished my muncie m20, if you have a good shop manual it's not bad but not a job for the inexperienced mechanic. The biggest problem I had was inspecting the old parts to detirmine if they were good or needed replacement. If in doubt replace them now! For the basic rebuild kit (gaskets, bearings, main shaft, brass sychro rings, clips etc) you'll spend $150.00 & up. If you need complete sychro's about $100.00 each and and any needed gears are additional. If you think it's over your head, I found the labor will run about $100.00 & up and if you can't find someone locally shipping will cost an arm and a leg. If you want to rebuild it yourself email me and I can give you a good parts/advice source.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:33 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,123 Likes on 551 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It is not that difficult of a task. Just follow the shop manual. You will need some snap ring pliers and access to a press to remove the rear bearing, spacer and speedo gear.
Take a look at my web page to see what a good gear and syncro looks like compared to a bad one.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/classi...de/Stuff.shtml
Old 03-22-2003, 12:31 PM
64BB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Muncie 4-speed rebuild (plaidside)

i did my one and only one three years ago. do-able but putsy. i would have had a lot of trouble without the help of a trannie shop that pressed things for me at $5 a throw. i think i needed two things done. also, the guy in florida that sold the kit was a wealth of information; very nice and co-operative and knowlegable. here's a trick: when re-installing the speedo gear, just lay it on the hot ring of an electric range until it is very dull orange in a dark room. then it'll pop right onto the shaft. don't need a press for that. good luck. took me several days of part time work, and was fun and rewarding and saved me $$$. :smash:
Old 03-22-2003, 12:54 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Default Re: Muncie 4-speed rebuild (richklock)

:iagree:

Richklock is right. If your transmission is having any problems that indicate some worn parts, it takes experience to inspect them and determine which ones are usable and which ones are too far gone. Fools even experienced transmission mechanics sometimes. :flag
Old 03-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...i dunno, i think it all depends...sounds like these guys were lucky...i had to have my front case bushed because the lower shaft was previously installed incorrectly....i dunno, i think it's $500 well spent to have a pro do it

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie 4-speed rebuild

Quick Reply: Muncie 4-speed rebuild