C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

John Z/GM expertise - clutch cross shaft and pivtot ball not the same size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default John Z/GM expertise - clutch cross shaft and pivtot ball not the same size?

Here's the problem - I am installing a BB crate engine in a '67. The new engine has no provision for the clutch pivot ball which is ususally threaded into the driver's side of the engine. Fortunately, Scoggin Dickey makes a bracket that bolts to the bellhousing that the pivot ball can bolt to - Unfortunately, the pivot ball that comes with this seems TOO small for my clutch cross shaft or Z bar - the ball fits all the way past the graduated taper and will go right into the cross shaft/z bar tube. The pivot ball which came with the bracket measures 7/8" at its widest point. The cross shaft opening which accepts the pivot ball measures 1 1/16" at the opening and tapers down to about 7/8" (but the pivot ball will go all the way into the tube)

I have Scoggin Dickey checking to see if there is a larger pivot ball, but thought maybe Forum members can help. There is the beginning of a GM parts # in yellow on my cross shaft, they are 38882?? - is it possible I have the wrong cross shaft? are there large pivot *****? is the cross shaft worn just enough so the ball is sloppy? is it possible that when set up (I haven't installed this stuff yet), the two pieces as is will happily co-exist?

H E L P - and thank you

Picture and description of the Scoggin Dickey part is at: http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...=1006&pid=8875 for picture

Clutch Pivot Ball Bracket for Corvettes
Price: $59.95
Part # SDCBV

The SDPC Exclusive Clutch pivot ball brackets are for use on Generation V & VI blocks. This long style pivot bracket provides proper mounting position and alignment of the Z-bar on Corvettes. The super strong brackets can handle the high pressures of racing clutches. A short style pivot ball bracket is available for use on all other GM cars and pick-ups.

Old 04-07-2003, 03:27 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Default Re: John Z/GM expertise - clutch cross shaft and pivtot ball not the same size? (427390)

Looks like you have the correct stud and cross shaft. There was only one engine-side stud used for '63-'72 (GM #3866568); the part number in the A.I.M. is different, as it arrived at St. Louis as a 2-piece assembly, including the rubber O-ring seal - the service part is just the steel stud, with the seal serviced separately.

The correct ('67-only) cross shaft is GM #3888279, which it appears you have; '63-'66 SB's used #3832857, and '65-'66 BB's used #3872962. :thumbs:

Quick Reply: John Z/GM expertise - clutch cross shaft and pivtot ball not the same size?