C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How much tq can the M20 handle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 02:29 AM
Maximillian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much tq can the M20 handle?

I'm purchasing another stingray. It's a '67 with no motor. I plan on buying a crate 454 (450 hp / 450 tq). The transmission is stock M20. I do not plan on hard launching with slicks, just street driving. Should the M20 hold up just fine or is 450 lb/ft pushing it....particularly considering the age?

Old 05-21-2003, 08:25 AM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: How much tq can the M20 handle? (Maximillian)

The M20 should be able to handle it, provided that you go through the tranny and make sure it is in good working order. More importantly would be the shape of things "downstream" from the tranny. I am refering to the driveshaft, the U-joints, rear end, and rear wheel bearings. Remember the BB Vetts had beefer parts back there. :smash:

For the most part everything should work as planned, however the more "spirited" the driving the more you will feel it in your "wallet".... :D

Good luck with your new venture.... :cool: :cheers:
Old 05-21-2003, 12:07 PM
CO_Sledgehammer
Racer

Max... I run a rebuilt M20 w/ Redline fluid w/ my new 460 HP/TQ 406 and so far so good after about 1500 miles. I don't run slicks, but I have pulled quite a few power-shifts w/ no ill effects. FWIW, I'm in Denver so my #'s are altitude deminished about 15-20%.

:cheers:
Old 05-21-2003, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck getting a 454 HO - I had one on order from Scoggin Dickey from October '02 til April '03 - they are on backorder - I called nearly every GM PP dealer I could track down and there are no 454 HO or 502 HOs anywhere - Had to go for the 502/502 - ordered from GM Parts Direct.com - a little weird in that you can't call them on the phone, just order online and communicate by e-mail, BUT they had the best price and the crate arrived when they said it would. I am also running an M20, but I only started the engine for the first time last week and haven't tuned it enough to get out on the street yet - Joe
Old 05-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Maximillian
Racer

The motor is already built. I'm buying it from a friend who was planning on using it in a speed boat (so the block is proctically concerete).

I've been told that most transmissions will hold together under MASSIVE torque just as long as you don't hard launch with slicks. As long as the tires are moving, you can apply 700 lb/ft of pressure and everything should be okay.....at least that's what I've heard.

The transmission is in great, if original, shape. I just get scared of 35 year old gear teeth.

Get notified of new replies

To How much tq can the M20 handle?

Quick Reply: How much tq can the M20 handle?