C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 upper windshield molding replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 03:57 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 62 upper windshield molding replacement

Sometime soon I want to replace the upper w/s molding on my 62. I recently replaced the glass, and I'm not real enthuiastic about tearing the whole frame down again unless I have to. I know the molding can be installed with the frame assembled. Matter of fact, thats how the ST12 directions read. I know most folks probably do it with the upper channel installed in the molding. I've done it both ways and you have to hold your mouth right to get the molding to go on over the upper channel and the side posts.

My concern is whether you can get the old molding OFF without running a significant risk of damaging something. Anyone have any experience doing this?

:confused:
Old 06-25-2003, 07:55 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: 62 upper windshield molding replacement (62fuelie)

I just did it recently when I replaced the weatherstripping on my windshield and didn't get everything aligned to my liking on the first attempt. It is actually not that difficult. Pry up one end enough to get a wood block against it and tap it over far enough to get it past the windshield post. That end can then be pulled up without expanding it so far. When you get it up aways you can tap it the other direction to get it off of the other post and then pull it on up and off. Going together I do the same thing only in reverse. This procedure worked real well for me. When you have the molding off, check the ends to see if they got deformed (out of round). If they are you can just flex them back into shape prior to re-installing. I took pictures of the whole windshield disassembly and assembly process and will write up a procedure soon. It is pretty tricky to get everything to fit together properly sealed. Since I wasn't quite happy with the results the first attempt, I was able to refine the procedure on the second attempt and everything came out perfect. :cheers:
Old 06-25-2003, 09:05 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: 62 upper windshield molding replacement (K2)

Well, I might give that a try. I can just see myself breaking the d*&n w/s if I get a little too rough with it.

Get notified of new replies

To 62 upper windshield molding replacement

Quick Reply: 62 upper windshield molding replacement