C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bellhousing, Flywheel & clutch compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Bellhousing, Flywheel & clutch compatibility

I am looking at replacing the Powerglide in my '56 and I have access to several bellhousing/flywheel/clutch assembly from the local boneyard. Is there a problem using these parts in a '56 if they come from a 57, 58, 59 or 60 model year full size chev?

Thanks for the help.

Pierre G. Joly
Old 07-03-2003, 10:29 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,768 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Re: Bellhousing, Flywheel & clutch compatibility (Pierre)

To specifically answer your question, yes, any of those will fit and work great. But, since your car is a 56, the 57 bell housing would be more correct. The reason is because 55-6-7 cars and Vettes shared the same bell housings which had provision for mounts on the sides of the bell housing. The 57 was the last year for the bell housing mounts. The 58-later housings did not have the mount provision on the housing. Even though the 56-7 Vettes DID NOT use mounts on the sides of the bell housing, they STILL used a housing with the mount provisions.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:39 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the old original cast iron clutch housings. They let you change the clutch without removing the clutch housing. If you're spending money anyways - I'd try for something that looks original.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Pierre
Pro

Default Re: Bellhousing, Flywheel & clutch compatibility (magicv8)

Thanks Magic and DZ for providing clarifications. The various parts catalogs from CC, Paragon etc. list the flywheel and clutch assembly for 57 and up as being different then the '56. Are they interchangeable?
Also, are BW T-10 and Muncie transmiaaion the same length? If I go for Muncie, I believe I also have to change the yoke on the drive shaft. Other than that, I believe the mount at the back of the transmission has to be changed, any other implications that I am overlooking?

Pierre
Old 07-04-2003, 11:26 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Pierre,
ANY Chev V-8 14in diameter flywheel, which is NEUTRAL balance, up through 1985, will work perfect. A NEUTRAL balance flywheel is imperative because the SB400s and 454s used an UNbalanced flywheel (there was an additional weight cast on one side of those flywheels). I prefer the later flywheels (for 350-396-427) with a bolt pattern for an 11in clutch. The early 14in flywheels only had a bolt pattern for a 10in clutch, plus, they had a groove in the flywheel surface around the clutch bolt pattern which precluded drilling and tapping holes for an 11in clutch.
The Muncie is an excellent choice. Yes, you will need to change the driveshaft yoke to a fine spline version which was used for 63-later trannys. And yes, there will be a change to the mount, but this is TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EASY! You simply need to order (from ANY aftermarket source such as CORVETTE CENTRAL,etc) a 62 Vette tranny mount adapter which is a plate (with 4 holes) that attaches between the mount on the rear of the Muncie tranny and the STOCK 56 tranny mount on the cross member. Also, you need to fabricate some kind of spacers (you can even use washers if you like) to go BETWEEN the cross member and the X-member of the frame. The cross member needs to be spaced DOWN about 1/4-1/2in. I have the cross member spaced down about 1/2in on my 56. STOCK 62s with a T-10 had 1/8in thick spacers.
And last, you can purchase a Hurst shifter for a Muncie (such as for a 63-later Vette) which works great. Then, aftermarket Vette sources, such as CORVETTE CENTRAL, etc, sell a replica 56-58 shifter handle which bolts to the Hurst shifter. This gives the look of a factory shifter with the positive shifting of a Hurst. This is how I have my 56 setup with a Muncie and everything is a perfect bolt-in swap and works just as if Chevrolet had originally built it.
By the way, the 66-70 Muncie is the most ideal version (71-74 Muncies and Super T-10s had a larger tail shaft which required a driveshaft yoke the same size as for a turbo 400, plus the 71-later trannys are a little longer and it is more difficult to get it in and out of a 56) although, the speedo cable attaches to the passenger side of the 65 later Muncies. The speedo cable attaches to the driver side of 63-4 Muncies, same as a T-10, but it is a hassle trying to get you fingers between the shifter rods to connect/remove it. The 63 Muncie is kind of a unique version, and I ALWAYS avoid them (they're kind of rare anyway). I don't know what engine/rear gear combo you plan to have in your 56, but you would probably be more satisfied with an M-20 version (wide ratio) rather than the M-21 (close ratio), unless you plan to install a fairly powerful engine (such as a 350 or 400) and a fairly low rear gear, such as a 3.70-4.11. I do have an M-21 in my 56, but I also have a SB400 which has plenty of torque to match the higher first gear of the M-21.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Pierre
Pro

Default Re: Bellhousing, Flywheel & clutch compatibility (DZAUTO)

DZ,
This is very good info, thanks a milliom.
I read somewhere that powerglide equipped cars came with a smaller hole at the end to accomodate the pilot bushing and you have to get a special smaller pilot bushing when converting to manual transmission. Do you know anything about this? I don't remember seing these smaller bushing in any of the catalogs.

Thanks,

Pierre
Old 07-04-2003, 02:03 PM
kabong
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bellhousing

I have, a 57 castiron bellhousing, with the motor mounts, if your interested.
715 324 6419. N.E. Wisconsin.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:23 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Pierre,
TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE-------------------ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Chev V-8s have the same size hole in the rear of the crank for a pilot bushing----------------all the way back to 1955. All you need to do is call your local NAPA (or any good parts store) and have them check to be sure that they all use the same pilot bushing. To install a pilot bushing, I use an old tranny input shaft to drive it in. It just goes in until it is even with the back of the hole. Also, one side of the hole in the bushing is tapered, the taper FACES the tranny (this is to help the tranny input shaft go into the bushing).

OK, I just called my local OReilly store, the bushing is the same all the way back to 55.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Pierre
Pro

Default Re: Bellhousing, Flywheel & clutch compatibility (DZAUTO)

DZ,
I was also under the impression that all pilot bushing were the same. I recenltly read several articles that refer to a smaller one that is required when converting to a manual transmission from a powerglide car. The link below, (from the chevytalk board), is from someone that ran into the problem. He refers to a smaller pilot bushing that is available from "Year One". I tried to call them today but they were closed for the July 04 holiday. I will try again on Monday.
http://www.chevytalk.com/tech/transm...peedconvo.html

Pierre

This another link thet refers to the smaller bushing: http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...hive/00226.TXT

[Modified by Pierre, 4:47 PM 7/4/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Bellhousing, Flywheel & clutch compatibility

Quick Reply: Bellhousing, Flywheel & clutch compatibility