C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Instrument panel wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 06:52 AM
irfgt
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 64 Instrument panel wiring harness

I am about to replace the complete IP wiring harness on a 64 coupe. Is it better to install the harness and then the IP or install the harness to the IP and then to the dash?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:46 AM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: 64 Instrument panel wiring harness (irfgt)

Not sure if I understand you question correctly. However, I recently did my dash harness in my 63 SWC. The first thing I did was to remove the two end screws in the dash (left and right side) and put 1/4 x 20 by 4 inch bolts in the two locations. Next I removed the rest of the dash screws, now the dash can be slid in and out enough so that you can get in behind it. I began removing and labeling the wires behind the dash, using masking tape and a felt pen to number the wires. I also removed the radio side panels to make it easier to get behind the rest of the dash. Its not a difficlut process just a very tedious one. The last step was to remove the fuse block from the inside fire wall. The installation of the new harness was just the reverse, starting with the fuse block. The key was to take your time, label the wires that your taking out and replace those with the new wires. Having a wiring diaghram also is also recommended. Oh, some of the guys on the forum, that have done dash harnesses have also taken the driver's seat out to make it a little more "comfortable" for the extended stay in that position. Hope this helps.... Good Luck.... :cheers:
Old 07-13-2003, 12:11 PM
irfgt
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 64 Instrument panel wiring harness (achapman)

I put the harness in the dash and then the IP and that seems to be the way to go. It would have been easier to put the harness onto the IP on the bench but then to install the rest of the connectors on the right side and feed the fuse box through would have been equally as difficult. :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Instrument panel wiring harness

Quick Reply: 64 Instrument panel wiring harness